• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Options And Upgrades, Cruise Control, Etc...

Blueskybob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
- makes more sense than a power door lock - for 1 freakin' door.
It is hard to go back in these posts to find all the answers from a year ago. And this is from my memory so take with a grain of salt. The explanation given for a power door lock besides the idea of tagging into a remote and car alarms, is that it is cheaper to build one with a power door lock and power windows than manual.

ctfink

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
ElioWithTrailer.jpg Add ons(on mine) will be automatic/cruise cntrl/sun-roof and I spoke with Chip 'S' at the Chicago/Schaumburg-Woodfield showing regarding a hook-ring on the rear of the Elio in the sad event that it requires a flatbed towing. His response was that he will make a note of it but if it does NOT happen I will also have a tow hitch installed for that purpose as well as to tow a teeny trailer. Check it out !

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since the windshield washer bottle is what ever you decide to screw on it I think I will add a bottle of Bourbon and route the hose inside for those difficult commutes (The above statement is strictly for comedic value and does not dictate how I have commuted, do commute or will commute in the future).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually knew a guy who did this by filling up his windshield cleaner bottle with vodka and routing the lines into the driver's seat. Not a very smart idea.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you! I absolutely agree. Does this fact really elude so many people. It is not for use while in the car, but rather for convenience while outside the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The word from Elio is that it may or may NOT come with a remote. with no remote, WHY POWER LOCKS?? I don't think the concept of a remote is really eluding so many as you think.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is hard to go back in these posts to find all the answers from a year ago. And this is from my memory so take with a grain of salt. The explanation given for a power door lock besides the idea of tagging into a remote and car alarms, is that it is cheaper to build one with a power door lock and power windows than manual.
I keep hearing that 'cheaper' thing and I don't see it. Don't you have to have a way to unlock the doors from the inside with no power? If that's the case then you already have a complete manual locking assembly to which you then ADD a selonoid, wiring, switches, and whatever else it takes for a power system. How does that NOT add cost and complexity? Maybe they're buying the doors off the shelf pre-assembled and it's cheaper because that's how all the doors are made.

fpelsdca

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of engine cooling, one of my first mods will be to replace the engine coolant with a product like Evans Waterless Coolant. It provides superior engine cooling by raising the boiling point to a level (275°) that doesn't boil (or pressurize) the cooling system in normal service. By making the coolant more efficient, you ensure you don't have engine heating problems in traffic. As a bonus, it prevents corrosion (no water) and still lubricates the water pump. Prices begin around $40/gallon, but because it never requires replacement, it's good for the life of my Elio.
It sounded like he said "375*". However, my hearing is not that good.... Since the Elio will have an aluminum engine the Evans Waterless Coolant will eliminate the corrosion that water will cause in the cooling system, why not make it standard? Since it is only about 3 X cost of 50/50 and never requires flushing (did I read someone's post that it costs $80?) with ZERO pressure on the system I think Elio should use this stuff in their production. It may cost just a little more but will save us lots of money over the life of the Elio, and ultimately give us much longer engine life. If not standard, it should be a "Recommended Option" for a few dollars more. I am ready to do a flush on my 2012 Mits Lancer just to put this stuff in it. Almost 30,000 miles already.

Top Bottom