• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Orange Balls?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Teach them paintball (yes a title)

I was looking at this thread a bit today. This subject could go a million directions from here. I think that is true because of some aspects to the unknown. To even get started unraveling the unknown, at least intellectually speaking, you have to discuss the Vail, the Mirror and the Wall. These are classic philosophic metaphors.

Our classic accepted world is a human structured concept built from what we believe and are willing to understand. There are some exceptions but mostly we see what we expect and are used to understanding. And we've gotten good at creating acceptable categories for what hasn't fit. We hate things that don't fit, so we make a 'fit' to put it in, sometimes a little too soon. And our operational brain follow's that dutifully, it's just trying to help you do what you want.

For one example, your brain is 1/10 of second behind reality. It automatically calculates visual events and awareness into the future, such that you will see events even if it doesn't happen as your brain expects. (There are demo's Just look it up on brain games in netflix.) The same is true for other processes of thinking, which is why the experimenter's involvement in the experiment must always be considered. It's also part of the rigid mid control that any dogma exploits. Plop on top of that both social and personality politics, and there you have a 'Trump' world view. (or Obama as your politics dictate, let's not go there!)

Most of us are not comfortable with incomprehensible subjective ideas be it looking at objects or intellectual thoughts. And worse, our minds try and fill-it-in, obscuring the evidence. So that's the 'vail'.

As for the Mirror, it is that we judge others and facts from what we have in ourselves. That is to include our world-view. If we are prone to conspiracy we will see that everywhere. The scary part is that if you see evil, that can only happen because you have it or experienced it at some point with-in yourself. A person who has realized that will not immediately run from the mirror of truth. And I should say, denial is a form of running. Perception is the mirror. Self honesty is the first step toward managing all of it.

So the Vail relates to the talent to see. And the Mirror relates to the ability to judge or conclude. Both are part of the Wall. The wall is what lies between what we think we know and what we don't. Part of what makes knowledge or new states of being inaccessible.

The other part of the wall, is just plain objective difficulty to access. By time, just not every time you try. By distance, not being in the right place (or state of some kind), by volume, just not very many of what ever it is, by instrumentation, not having the means to perceive it. The Dr Who show was very smart to leverage this metaphor.

And by the way, your body can make adjustments to perceive things, when it's made aware of the desire to do so. This especially applies to anything ESP oriented, but also the five senses. And it works to the opposite as well, use it or lose it!

And there are exceptions to all of that. Creativity and openness can allow people to pierce the vail, and then too sometimes the wall exposes a hole and someone will just fall thru it. After that the Vail is pierced, the Mirror is softened and the wall has that missing brick.

The UFO spector brings all of that up. And so does many other things like ... (let's not go there in this thread)...

Anyway, my point is, even for yourself, what you commonly see (or uncommonly), may stay a secret in plain sight, or a crack in the wall. It's just depends on your own programming relating to the Vail and the Mirror.

Do I have a good example of this other than UFO's? Yes I do.
Do you know when people are looking at you? No? No good evidence? Learn to win at competitive paintball. At a high level you must develop that 'talent' if you are to win reliably.

Once you have that experience under your belt, it's a real thing. Can you prove it to someone resistive to the idea? Nope. Teach them paintball.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not saying this is what you were seeing but in Albuquerque, we had one. It was orange and just sat there for a long time. I have a really good pair of binoculars and through them, I could see it was some kind of balloon. The news later confirmed it was some kind of internet experiment from Google IIRC. The thing was it stayed in place for a good while and suddenly took off to the side. I thought this was really weird till I visited the Balloon Fiesta about a year later.

It seems that in Albuquerque, at least, there is a "box" condition. The balloonists use it all the time. At the Fiesta, balloons would launch, go straight up for a couple hundred feet, then head West. They'd go up quite a bit and then head East. Then, they'd lower and go right back by again. I didn't realize they were doing it until I began thinking "Wait a minute. I've seen that one go by already." Sure thing. It was kind of neat. Back in October of last year on the day after I retired from the Air Force, I took my family, my parents, my brothers and their wives, and my good friend and his wife (14 people if you include the pilot) an a balloon ride. It was absolutely fabulous! Anyway, watching the pilot and talking to him, I found out they can actually steer the balloons by selecting altitudes. I always just assumed that wind was a constant in direction. If it's blowing to the East down here, it must be blowing East up there too. Well, the wind direction varies by degrees depending on altitude. Who knew? Not me. Anyway, I wonder how many UFO reports that indicate the object kept changing speed actually were seeing this phenomenon. Further, if the object in question were, say, a Mylar balloon like a party balloon that was closer than the observer though, it could be thought to be traveling "impossibly fast". In addition, many Mylar balloons are silver on one side and colored on the other. Could the "flashing" lights simply be a Mylar balloon spinning?

Not meaning to say that's what you've been seeing. It's just an observation that I've made that was similar in nature.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not saying this is what you were seeing but in Albuquerque, we had one. It was orange and just sat there for a long time. I have a really good pair of binoculars and through them, I could see it was some kind of balloon. The news later confirmed it was some kind of internet experiment from Google IIRC. The thing was it stayed in place for a good while and suddenly took off to the side. I thought this was really weird till I visited the Balloon Fiesta about a year later.

It seems that in Albuquerque, at least, there is a "box" condition. The balloonists use it all the time. At the Fiesta, balloons would launch, go straight up for a couple hundred feet, then head West. They'd go up quite a bit and then head East. Then, they'd lower and go right back by again. I didn't realize they were doing it until I began thinking "Wait a minute. I've seen that one go by already." Sure thing. It was kind of neat. Back in October of last year on the day after I retired from the Air Force, I took my family, my parents, my brothers and their wives, and my good friend and his wife (14 people if you include the pilot) an a balloon ride. It was absolutely fabulous! Anyway, watching the pilot and talking to him, I found out they can actually steer the balloons by selecting altitudes. I always just assumed that wind was a constant in direction. If it's blowing to the East down here, it must be blowing East up there too. Well, the wind direction varies by degrees depending on altitude. Who knew? Not me. Anyway, I wonder how many UFO reports that indicate the object kept changing speed actually were seeing this phenomenon. Further, if the object in question were, say, a Mylar balloon like a party balloon that was closer than the observer though, it could be thought to be traveling "impossibly fast". In addition, many Mylar balloons are silver on one side and colored on the other. Could the "flashing" lights simply be a Mylar balloon spinning?

Not meaning to say that's what you've been seeing. It's just an observation that I've made that was similar in nature.

The thing about the recent one over the Arch is that there was a thunderstorm going on in the background. I was on my way to work at 3am and drove though it [gully washer!! :eek:], and I believe that article said that the "light" appeared around 2:30am which would be right before the storm made it to St. Louis and caught from two different angles/cameras. Definitely strange. Not sure how ball lightning works, and I don't know if anybody really does. Maybe it's something like that.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The thing about the recent one over the Arch is that there was a thunderstorm going on in the background. I was on my way to work at 3am and drove though it [gully washer!! :eek:], and I believe that article said that the "light" appeared around 2:30am which would be right before the storm made it to St. Louis and caught from two different angles/cameras. Definitely strange. Not sure how ball lightning works, and I don't know if anybody really does. Maybe it's something like that.
Could be. I often wonder about UFOs in the classic sense. Is it possible that there are other intelligent species on other planets (My Sunday School teacher from back in the day would say "no" but I would argue "The book says God created man but it didn't say he only did it in one place..." Anyway, lets just say there IS the possibility of Aliens visiting Earth. Now, are they going to come down here, flop around the sky a little and leave? Maybe. I suppose they could be minimalistic in their approach and don't want to disturb our natural environment...

"Earth tours! Come fly with us as we visit the primitive Earth. See what life is like with a young species. It harkens back to a time about 3 Million years ago when we were a new species. Be aware though that our tours are completely minimalistic in that we can't be seen observing. In the event of a crash, all efforts will be made to make the even seem impossible to the locals so that they can never definitively agree that we are from a different planet. Strap in, enjoy, and spend your next Zorgian vacation visiting Earth! We'll also stop by our advanced space station on one of the moons of Jupiter on the way back for some low gravity rest and relaxation."

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Could be. I often wonder about UFOs in the classic sense. Is it possible that there are other intelligent species on other planets (My Sunday School teacher from back in the day would say "no" but I would argue "The book says God created man but it didn't say he only did it in one place..." Anyway, lets just say there IS the possibility of Aliens visiting Earth. Now, are they going to come down here, flop around the sky a little and leave? Maybe. I suppose they could be minimalistic in their approach and don't want to disturb our natural environment...

"Earth tours! Come fly with us as we visit the primitive Earth. See what life is like with a young species. It harkens back to a time about 3 Million years ago when we were a new species. Be aware though that our tours are completely minimalistic in that we can't be seen observing. In the event of a crash, all efforts will be made to make the even seem impossible to the locals so that they can never definitively agree that we are from a different planet. Strap in, enjoy, and spend your next Zorgian vacation visiting Earth! We'll also stop by our advanced space station on one of the moons of Jupiter on the way back for some low gravity rest and relaxation."
I think the Star Trek scripted ethic of non-interference was a concept usherd forward in response to answering the question, "If they are here why aren't they contacting us openly?" And that was of course one of the possibilities, some type of hands-off rule.

But for me, if that were the case, there would always be some rule breaker out there. So I would suppose there are also repercussions from doing so, either regulatory or inherent. So the extending question is, are we owned, protected or respected? Or any combination of that?

Starting from there you can get about a million SiFi TV scripts out of it. . . :cool:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suppose they could be minimalistic in their approach and don't want to disturb our natural environment...
Oh yea, that reminds me. Consider that in the future we have removed ourselves from planet-surface evolution, i.e, gone to space. At that point we would have taken on all the responsibility of our own evolution, and our environmental evolution as well. Wouldn't all civilizations desire an environmentally predictable existence?

There are certain long term effects that an active bio-sphere provides, while it is allowed to 'naturally' progress (or possibly with a little help). For example herding animals are strong and fast at least in part because wolves kill the weak and slow. Immune systems are successful because they must be.

What ever products of that evolution exist they are probably worth more than gold to a sterile-environment based civilization. And 'harvesting' may only involve the taking of just a few samples of DNA from just a few sources.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Current estimates put the number of planets in the Milky Way galaxy at 100 Billion. That's 100,000,000,000. So, if we assume that there are 1000 spacefaring alien races in the galaxy, and that each one can visit one planet per day, it would still take 273,972 years to visit them all.

If anything, my bet is that all of these UFOs people see are unmanned survey drones. Otherwise, charting the galaxy would take FOREVER.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Current estimates put the number of planets in the Milky Way galaxy at 100 Billion. That's 100,000,000,000. So, if we assume that there are 1000 spacefaring alien races in the galaxy, and that each one can visit one planet per day, it would still take 273,972 years to visit them all.

If anything, my bet is that all of these UFOs people see are unmanned survey drones. Otherwise, charting the galaxy would take FOREVER.

With our current knowledge of astrophysics. Just 100 yrs ago someone would call BS on any vehicle travelling over 100 mph, let alone Mach 7. I'm staring at an aircraft that does Mach 2.5+ as I type this, and it's a 48 yr old design.

Top Bottom