• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Orange Balls?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Current estimates put the number of planets in the Milky Way galaxy at 100 Billion. That's 100,000,000,000. So, if we assume that there are 1000 spacefaring alien races in the galaxy, and that each one can visit one planet per day, it would still take 273,972 years to visit them all.

If anything, my bet is that all of these UFOs people see are unmanned survey drones. Otherwise, charting the galaxy would take FOREVER.
Survey Drones...Hoth "I didn't hit it that hard. It must have had a self-destruct..."

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, and of course you (guys) are ignoring that something inter-dimensional may be involved. This is possibly the only way to break the speed-of-light / time issue. A alien group that does THAT may have all kinds of reasons to not be where we can readily see them. It may also be the only way to be in 'space' safely. Coming back out to our dimension may actually be costly or risky to both of us. The idea of 'here' may actually involve multiple 'there's.

(I like the twists and turns of 'reversal' and 'contra' logic)

I would postulate that IS what is required to become a space fairing race. Not the Warp drive of star trek but a dimensional/phase machine.
Of course if such things exists, life just as well could have come here having started there.

I need a long talk with Dr Who.

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was taking FTL (faster-than-light) travel into account. In-fact, I was assuming instantateous travel between planets, and proposing that it would take at least a day to properly survey each planet. Thus, if a single alien race were to send out 273,972 unmanned survey drones, it would only take them 1000 years to chart every planet.

I would postulate that IS what is required to become a space fairing race. Not the Warp drive of star trek but a dimensional/phase machine.
Of course if such things exists, life just as well could have come here having started there.

Although, we DO actually have the math to prove that a warp drive is possible. And it wouldn't take an impossible amount of energy either--we just need to figure out how to bend space. Once we figure that out, we'll be able to tune it based on our math and away we go!

For those who aren't science geeks, a warp drive works by warping the "fabric" of space around you, essentially creating a wave and then riding that wave like a surf board. There is no inertia to overcome, because the ship isn't actually "moving", it is standing still in a bubble of space-time, and that bubble is moving very fast.
You could think of it like this: the fastest human can only run 27.44 miles per hour. Lets pretend that is like the speed of light--it is impossible to run faster than that limit. But instead of running to your destination, you get inside a car and drive there at 70mph. The interior of the car doesn't change speed relative to yourself, but the whole world around you is different now. That is kind of like how a warp drive works.

Top Bottom