• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Our Beloved Zelio

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been thinking about all the different suggestion made for a memorial for Z. The YMCA is a great organization and served Z well over the last few years. ( I'll be sending my donation when I'm done here.)

I was thinking about a Z Bahti (Zelio) Elio assistance fund. When one of our members runs into financial difficulty they can petition the fund for help. Reasons for assistance would be medical emergencies, family emergencies, job loss (not because you were fired), vehicle repairs (there are a lot of people driving old bangers, hoping it lasts, while waiting for their Elio), upgrade assistance for those on a fixed income (such as Z), or once we get our Elios, help those on low fixed income make a payment. We could set a limit for assistance, like $300.00 and limit it to one per member, per calendar year. We could set up a members board to go over the petitions and assign the fund according to NEED. We have some members (Not Us, although we've been there) who live pay check, to pay check and at times could use a little help, Just my thoughts.

Buckeyejake

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norahsbed,

I like your idea. I would help set up. We probably need a lawyer to set up a approved tax deduction program. We need to set this up right. People need to be very comfortable when donating money. Just saying.

Maybe there is a lawyer in our merry band of misfits that could help. Hey, any Perry Mason out there. Sorry, showing my age.

Last edited:

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norahsbed,

I like your idea. I would help set up. We probably need a lawyer to set up a approved tax deduction program. We need to set this up right. People need to be very comfortable when donating money. Just saying.

Maybe there is a lawyer in our merry band of misfits that could help. Hey, any Perry Mason out there. Sorry, showing my age.
My daughter is a lawyer, but does not practice that branch of law. I will be seeing her tomorrow and I'll ask her what branch of lawyer we need. I'm thinking trust or charity trust. She has had some experence in charity trusts but it was very limited. Anyone else think this is a good idea, speak up please!:D I also know many people are not aware yet as they are on vacation or just haven't logged in recently. So let's keep ideas coming, give this some more time. Then maybe we can do a poll (I know how much some of you love those polls) and let everyone have a vote of which idea is the way we want to go. We need to do this as a family and community and agree on the way in which we want to honor Z.:)

Reaction score
Naw, It is a cute idea, but in my opinion an unnecessary one. Folks like myself know there is already help available when (not if) we get into trouble. From our local YMCA, our local churches pantries, Salvation Army, Catholic Charities to Government Assistance. It's covered. I can also count on the DAV to help me out and the County Veteran's assistance office. Why bother yourself with the head aches that these organizations have been doing quite well for decades.
I've already tried to donate to Z's YMCA, this evening. Too bad my credit card is sitting negative till tomorrow's morning automatic deposit. I will do it tomorrow. This afternoon I bought a poster of Z's ascending yellow bird from the artist on line and last week I dropped a hundred dollar bill into the red kettle. I believe in payback but I don't want to jump into another charity by force, white guilt, because it's cool or association.

Another note, Lets plan a party. I'll put that on another thread.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Naw, It is a cute idea, but in my opinion an unnecessary one. Folks like myself know there is already help available when (not if) we get into trouble. From our local YMCA, our local churches pantries, Salvation Army, Catholic Charities to Government Assistance. It's covered. I can also count on the DAV to help me out and the County Veteran's assistance office. Why bother yourself with the head aches that these organizations have been doing quite well for decades.
I've already tried to donate to Z's YMCA, this evening. Too bad my credit card is sitting negative till tomorrow's morning automatic deposit. I will do it tomorrow. This afternoon I bought a poster of Z's ascending yellow bird from the artist on line and last week I dropped a hundred dollar bill into the red kettle. I believe in payback but I don't want to jump into another charity by force, white guilt, because it's cool or association.

Another note, Lets plan a party. I'll put that on another thread.
I understand your concern but this would be for our community members only. Not every one qualifys for assistance, for one reason or another. Usually their income is to high. Not everyone belongs to a church, not everyone's a veteran. I can't think of a single charity that would give a 20 something money to replace a starter, so they can get to work, to earn money to buy a better vehicle. Let alone a 70 something, on a fixed income, money to upgrade a reservation, on a vehicle that hasn't been built yet.......yet this community, did just that. I'm talking about taking care of our own Elio community. Those of us with a little extra, helping those who need a hand up, not a hand out. Sounds like you've already streatched yourself pretty thin and no one would be forcing anyone to donate anything out of guilt, coolness, or by association. This would be to honor Z and I can't think of a better way to do so than "paying it forward" not "paying it back". IMHO;)

Reaction score
I understand your concern but this would be for our community members only. Not every one qualifys for assistance, for one reason or another. Usually their income is to high. Not everyone belongs to a church, not everyone's a veteran. I can't think of a single charity that would give a 20 something money to replace a starter, so they can get to work, to earn money to buy a better vehicle. Let alone a 70 something, on a fixed income, money to upgrade a reservation, on a vehicle that hasn't been built yet.......yet this community, did just that. I'm talking about taking care of our own Elio community. Those of us with a little extra, helping those who need a hand up, not a hand out. Sounds like you've already streatched yourself pretty thin and no one would be forcing anyone to donate anything out of guilt, coolness, or by association. This would be to honor Z and I can't think of a better way to do so than "paying it forward" not "paying it back". IMHO;)

The County or State office of the Department of Aging is available to help the 70 somethings. Lets face it EVERYBODY is living on a 'fixed income'. I am not a member of a Bible Believing Church, but I volunteer at the food pantry, twice a month, every month. People do not need to attend or be a member of a church to receive help. I am a veteran but when my non-veteran neighbor's vehicle needs a jump, I help. There is help out there by organization already set up to do the deed. We have neighbors to borrow money and equipment from. They will reach into their pockets to help and not have to send it by the way pay-pal.
Be kind to your neighbors, help when you are able, donated blood, time and talents, support an artist, give money to a charity. Think of Z while doing it. This will honor her memories.
Thanks for helping Z out on her deposit. First I've heard of it and perhaps it wasn't meant to be broadcast or any of my business. Fantastic ! Great ! Wonderful, but it wasn't 'This community', it was a group of friends helping a friend. You did it without a lawyer or an organization.

Last edited:

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The County or State office of the Department of Aging is available to help the 70 somethings. Lets face it EVERYBODY is living on a 'fixed income'. I am not a member of a Bible Believing Church, but I volunteer at the food pantry, twice a month, every month. People do not need to attend or be a member of a church to receive help. I am a veteran but when my non-veteran neighbor's vehicle needs a jump, I help. There is help out there by organization already set up to do the deed. We have neighbors to borrow money and equipment from. They will reach into their pockets to help and not have to send it by the way pay-pal.
Be kind to your neighbors, help when you are able, donated blood, time and talents, support an artist, give money to a charity. Think of Z while doing it. This will honor her memories.
Thanks for helping Z out on her deposit. First I've heard of it and perhaps it wasn't meant to be broadcast or any of my business. Fantastic ! Great ! Wonderful, but it wasn't 'This community', it was a group of friends helping a friend. You did it without a lawyer or an organization.
Thanks for making my point, neighbor helping neighbor, whether it's next door, or across the miles. It's helping people in your community, our Elio community. I did not participate in the gift to Z, (I was not yet a member when this took place) it was not a big secret, Z mentioned it several times, just like the hat and book. While only certain people were involved, it was part of this community's effort to help one of their own.

I was one of the members behind a movement to help Z start a "fund me" account for her Elio. The plan was to get it rolling after the first of the year. A community coming together again, to help one of their own. So my thoughts were to continue this "fund me" account and use the funds to help others in our Elio community. The lawyer would be to make sure we get it right and not violate any state or federal laws or to make it a tax deductible charity.

I also like Tazairforces' idea of a memorial corner at the Shreveport plant but that involves getting EMs permission and a space for it. I also don't think we can get Zs #6011 and I'm not so sure the family is willing to give up personel items at this point but it is something that would honor Z in the larger Elio community.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ocean9000,

Depending on your beliefs, I expect to see Zeilo in heaven. Until then she will occupy my copilot seat.

I'm more of a half filled guy. I am thankful I was able to enjoy her company for this brief time through a mutual love of the Elio.
I don't expect to see Z in heaven anytime soon but I think she already visited me here on Christmas Day. Shortly before Dustoff posted this thread, I had an over whelming dreadful feeling to contact G1 to find out how her surgery went. Before G1 could answer me Dustoff posted this thread. At that point I realized Z had tried to let me know. That just confirmed my belief, that Z was a lot more like my Grandmother, than I had thought I'd imagined! Z will always have an open seat in my Elio and I'll welcome her as a copilot, anytime in my travels.:)

Top Bottom