• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

P4 Video From Detroit Dream Cruise. Iav Engineer Kody Klindt Talks Engine Details

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Life cycle? Unless there's some hidden mechanical glitch the engine life cycle will be as long as you properly maintain it. I've read here on this very forum that for $6800 the engine should be considered disposable. If you treat it as disposable it will be. With proper maintenance and respect the engine will last longer than many of us on this forum will.
In the future, there will be many-many high school-ers with this as their first car, care of mom & dad.

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's a saying about reliability. Any oil will last the life of the engine if you don't change it. And it's true, my brother has killed two cars because he doesn't watch oil levels or change it frequently enough.
I may have worked on one of your brother's cars. Way back in high school I was a gas monkey. One day I also had the job of using a paint scraper to scrape out the sludge from a V-8, after the head had been pulled off. I was told the driver never changed the oil.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I may have worked on one of your brother's cars. Way back in high school I was a gas monkey. One day I also had the job of using a paint scraper to scrape out the sludge from a V-8, after the head had been pulled off. I was told the driver never changed the oil.

Yup! I had a boss that told me "It doesn't pay to change your oil, I never do!" Then he went on and on about oil never breaks down, it's cheaper to just rebuild the motor...Etc.
I thanked him for the information. I said, "I just learned something valuable...and that is, I will never buy a used car from you.";):)

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score

This guy said the engine will only be turning 1500 to 2000 RPMs at highway speeds. I'm not saying the guy's full of it, but I've had enough experiences with cars, motorcycles, whatever to know that to accomplish this with only a .9 liter engine will be quite the feat. The only thing I can think of that would make this, or something close to it possible is the super low drag coefficient and light weight of the Elio....what do you think? Possible or pipe dream?

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's what my 1950 lb, .9 liter, 2005 Honda Insight turns at on the highway, and at double the width it's not as slippery. So not only possible, but probable.

Maybe my mindset is too focused on motorcycles...back in the day I had a 900 Kawasaki (which is .9 liter) that turned about 3500 RPM @ 60 MPH...I need to keep in mind the Elio will have a car engine, which is designed more for producing a flat torque curve across it's entire RPM band...motorcycle engines on the other hand are designed more for producing tremendous amounts of HP (for their size) at high RPMs (unless we're talking about large displacement V-twins)...

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think everybody is far too focused on this being a "motorcycle". It is not in any practical sense a motorcycle except in the warped minds of the Feds. I am continually surprised by the number of motorcycle fans who have flocked to the Elio apparently because it's a "motorcycle". It's not a bad thing, just a surprise because it is so unlike a motorcycle.

Back on topic, my RX-8 turns about 3600 RPM at 60 MPH, but it red lines at 9000 RPM. I usually drive it in the 3000-6000 RPM range around town, with one or two conservative runs to 9000 RPM a day to keep it healthy. (It's a Wankel rotary, which dies early if it's not red lined often.)

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think everybody is far too focused on this being a "motorcycle". It is not in any practical sense a motorcycle except in the warped minds of the Feds. I am continually surprised by the number of motorcycle fans who have flocked to the Elio apparently because it's a "motorcycle". It's not a bad thing, just a surprise because it is so unlike a motorcycle.

Back on topic, my RX-8 turns about 3600 RPM at 60 MPH, but it red lines at 9000 RPM. I usually drive it in the 3000-6000 RPM range around town, with one or two conservative runs to 9000 RPM a day to keep it healthy. (It's a Wankel rotary, which dies early if it's not red lined often.)

The fact that the Elio is legally considered a motorcycle is what got my interest in the first place...the idea of a motorcycle that can be operated in all weather conditions were my initial reasons for wanting one...the other things like the super high MPGs and the very reasonable purchase price are just icing on the cake...the fact that's it's practical is what sold my wife on it...

Top Bottom