• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

P5

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
+1 to the people who said backup camera!, I believe it will be a great addition and I plan on one either way, especially with no back window to see out of, not to mention the ease of hooking up a trailer.
Better to design one in, so it fits with the rest of the vehicle and is visible without blocking either instruments or forward vision. Add-ons run into problems that a little design forethought can prevent.

That said, I understand that things cost money, and I will shell out for a camera -- I'd just as soon the space for the display was allowed for in the car's design.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is the way I see it too. Keep it basic then add items as you have extra money. Keep the up front price down, the tax and tag cost each year will be less. They go by the original purchase price plus options.
Order only the options that are planned that will be under the factory warranty, like the (sliding?) sun roof and cruise control, an after market sun roof can leak. I would not want to add a cruise later, might Blow the whole electric system.

Here is what I'm thinking of adding later:

1) trailer hitch
2) 139 DB air horn, the Elio is only 54" hi, keep the lane changers, that don't look, out of your lane
3) Brake light flashing module, very noticeable on a MC
4) Fender mounted turn/running lights
5) Mini Mate popup camper, will need paint code

2) thru 5) are on the market now.

I'm sure there will be others.
Were'd you get the air horn?

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For the newbies, I have been in since September, 2013 and have seen what, 5 delays, and 2 prototypes, still waiting. No, I am not sorry for the rant, and jim H..it will be at least another year and a half before I get mine.. so I am angry!
Don't be mad at me, be MAD AS HELL at the way this has all been handled, from the top down. I just said what a lot of you are thinking, you are just are afraid to tell it like it is..but that;s ok!
PJ, I also have been following the Elio since I first saw the P3 prototype in September 2013. I made my initial reservation on Oct 13, 2013 so I have experienced the same delays as you. I did not make a reservation on some vehicle that would perhaps be significantly different than the one I saw. My expectations were, and continue to be, for a 3-wheeled, 2 passenger, 1 door vehicle. I understood, at the time, that it was a prototype and that here would more than likely be some changes. As we know the P4 is different from the P3 but it still holds true to that basic concept. Am I MAD AS HELL about the delay - NO! Am I disappointed about the delay - certainly, but I am still optimistic and hopeful that the Elio that I get will be very close to the design concept I first saw. If I wanted a 3-passenger vehicle I would have never considered an Elio. For all of you out there who are unhappy with the general design of the Elio I would recommend your look for something else to meet your needs because it appears the current Elio design does not.

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just want to SEE a P5. Hopefully it will have the complete IAV engine and the tweaks to the body we have been told will be there. Good, solid progress is all I want. I'd really like to bump up to $500 all-in.

+1 to the people who said backup camera!, I believe it will be a great addition and I plan on one either way, especially with no back window to see out of, not to mention the ease of hooking up a trailer.

To be fair, the only trailers that the Elio will be capable of towing will be able to be just picked up and stuck on the hitch, no need to take 4 tries back up just right. There's no way the Elio will be able to tow more than 500 lbs, way too low of torque available.

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Msmith5150 to be fair, the only trailers that the Elio will be capable of towing will be able to be just picked up and stuck on the hitch, no need to take 4 tries back up just right. There's no way the Elio will be able to tow more than 500 lbs, way too low of torque available.[/QUOTE]

Good point, I just don't like the idea of no back window and no camera, but no big deal at all, it will make it easier to get closer to trailer when lifting on trailer and parallel parking. I have also crinkled my licence plate by guessing how close I was in my old truck trying to get close enough to lift it on as well. I hope it is an option that is under $150! This is in my wish list, but no deal breaker by any means

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't have any new information, just some considerations. They will need to build a small series of P5.X (or P6) to verify or resolve manufactuability. Also for testing, as you suggest. But a true 5.x is some ways off, I think, because they have yet to produce a single engine … and they need $100 million just to cast the thing.

Frankly, I wish they'd gone with some other engine options -- something in the 100 hp range, or the new ecomotor POCO (opposed pistons in opposed cylinders). Far lower development cost (for existing engines, anyhow). But here we are, hoping the engine can be manufactured and stuffed into a P5 or P5.x….

If I were Paul Elio, I'd be reluctant to build a fleet of P5.x vehicles unless I were pretty darn sure that the only changes would be tweaks, not redesigns. This means, among other things, working to reduce the drag of the exposed suspension members, making sure the engine mounting points are where they will be in the final vehicle, and selecting the final transmissions. Lots of expensive stuff to do!

I'm as impatient as the rest of us to see a P5 … but they may not even be ready to build one, let alone 12 of 'em.
I would think that since Elio commissioned IAV to design their block that they would have required the mounting points to be in the right places. Maybe not though. If I asked for a motor to be built, that is what I would have done. (I would have also asked for more power... Maybe it's good I wasn't doing the asking.)

Top Bottom