• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

P6 ?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
AS A TOOLMAKER WHO BUILDS PROTOTYPE PARTS FOR A LIVING ,
I CAN TELL YOU THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A GOOD & A BAD ENGINEER
IS THE NUMBER OF GUESSES IT TAKES THEM TO DESIGN THE PART .
You said it! Hopefully, since IAV is well versed in design, they kept it all pretty simple so Comau, who is well versed in setting up assembly lines, can set up an efficient process. Luckily most of that is behind us already.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if we don't see P5 in July. P6-30 will quickly follow and won't take as long as they'll most likely use all the same jigs and stuff.
Too optimistic if that's possible. EM said a few months to build the P5 and the announcement of the build was a short time ago.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The reason forecasters say the Smart for Two hasn't been as successful as initially hoped is because of the limited demand for two seater vehicles. They are apparently scheduled to release the Smart for 4.
I'll add a couple cents in here. There isn't much utility reason to buy a Smartcar for 12k when you can buy a 4 passenger/4door car for just 13k, and it will get about the same MPG. The only reason it did any better earlier on was the uniqueness factor at the time and the perception of green-credentials making it a green-political statement for some people. The awareness of the low mpg kind of caught up to them eventually.

Now if you get much higher efficiency for that lack of cargo/passenger capacity, now people have a financial reason as well as a green reason to buy one. And then there is the cool factor, yes I think the Elio is definitely more cool than a Smart for Two or Four.

Last edited:

'lio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll add a couple cents in here. There isn't much utility reason to buy a Smartcar for 12k went you can buy a 4 passenger/4door car for just 13k, and it will get about the same MPG. The only reason it did any better earlier on was the uniqueness factor at the time and the perception of green-credentials making it a green-political statement for some people. The awareness of the low mpg kind of caught up to them eventually.

Now if you get much higher efficiency for that lack of cargo/passenger capacity, now people have a financial reason as well as a green reason to buy one. And then there is the cool factor, yes I think the Elio is definitely more cool than a Smart for Two or Four.

The Smart is essentially an European car that doesn’t appeal much to U.S. consumers.

In Europe you can often park a Smart sideways, which makes it very convenient in many cities. The mpg of the turbo diesel also isn’t bad at all: 71mpg.

It like with many things: Europeans have a different mindset, they like things small (not only cars, but also houses etc.), conserving resources is a major issue for many when buying a car and the small engine is very good for tax reasons. Financial concerns are often secondary for many buyers, as the average Smart buyer doesn’t really buy it to save money as far as I have read and many own one as a second car in the family The Smart does have a cool factor in Europe…

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Okay that's a bit longer than I expected... I'm just going to assume that the P6-30 will be built simultaneously. Otherwise a mid year 2016 production date is starting to look dreary.

I hear ya. But Paul also said on Reddit today that the P6-30 will start in late July. So they must be planning to have enough of the P5 done, compare it with the CAD drawings, make adjustments to plans for the P6, and start in at late July. Work would continue on the P5 until done, roughly mid-Nov if the P5 work did start in June.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hear ya. But Paul also said on Reddit today that the P6-30 will start in late July. So they must be planning to have enough of the P5 done, compare it with the CAD drawings, make adjustments to plans for the P6, and start in at late July. Work would continue on the P5 until done, roughly mid-Nov if the P5 work did start in June.
I would like to see some sneak peak photos of the P5 build and/or hear some P5 progress updates.

Top Bottom