• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Pace Car

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am waiting for someone to offer carbon fiber replacement body panels. :D

Funny you should mention carbon fiber panels. I happened to have some "expertise" in that area. Did all the repairs on the AV8B Harrier wing (carbon graphite), and F/A-18E/F fuselage (a lot of Kevlar...real PITA to work with), and just had an interview last week for a custom composite lab they're (Boeing) starting up for commercial and UCAV work that's coming to St. Louis. I've already got plans to make molds of the hood and the back hatch to see if I can make lighter ones. If they turn out good, I might try to mold the rest of the body panels. Going to be either single ply inner and outer skins, or the same with a foam core (vacuum bagged resin infusion). I've already got all the equipment except access to an autoclave, but since I won't be using prepreg, that won't be an issue. Should be fun!:)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny you should mention carbon fiber panels. I happened to have some "expertise" in that area. Did all the repairs on the AV8B Harrier wing (carbon graphite), and F/A-18E/F fuselage (a lot of Kevlar...real PITA to work with), and just had an interview last week for a custom composite lab they're (Boeing) starting up for commercial and UCAV work that's coming to St. Louis. I've already got plans to make molds of the hood and the back hatch to see if I can make lighter ones. If they turn out good, I might try to mold the rest of the body panels. Going to be either single ply inner and outer skins, or the same with a foam core (vacuum bagged resin infusion). I've already got all the equipment except access to an autoclave, but since I won't be using prepreg, that won't be an issue. Should be fun!:)

I knew someone on here would have 'the expertise' and do this! When it does happen make sure to keep us updated on your progress. :)

Top Bottom