• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Parallel Parking

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Parallel parking shouldn't be a huge issue because the Elio doesn't have a 'parking assist' option and drivers will have to opt for diagonal parking in designated Elio Only Parking Spaces. Parking humor.
image.jpg
On a serious note, I'm beginning to think the Elio should require the motorcycle endorsement and defensive MC rider training if we can't safely ease out into traffic or make lane changes in this vehicle. A high percentage of drivers may lack the confidence in their driving skills required to maneuver the Elio safely. Doesn't seem like it should be an issue.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think you'll find the answer in the area of defensive driving. You would not want to pull out in front of anyone, signal or not. A signal will not protect you. It's pretty much only a legal consideration.

So this is one case where you would just open your window and look out to the back. Only go when it's clear.

If you are using the signal to 'ask' to enter a lane that is stopped, the signal will still be visible to stopped traffic and a wave will still be understood by drivers waiting in line, even gang members. This will work on both sides, so international variations are the same. When there is stopped traffic, just looking pitiful out your window is usually enough.

As for the added LED lighting on the fenders, that might be easy to shade from the driver's eyes by careful design. But in aftermarket products, you'll have to verify that it was dealt with. However, blinding by your own lights would be more of a rural or freeway problem and not as much for lighted city streets where there is parallel parking.

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Parallel parking shouldn't be a huge issue because the Elio doesn't have a 'parking assist' option and drivers will have to opt for diagonal parking in designated Elio Only Parking Spaces. Parking humor.
View attachment 2443
On a serious note, I'm beginning to think the Elio should require the motorcycle endorsement and defensive MC rider training if we can't safely ease out into traffic or make lane changes in this vehicle. A high percentage of drivers may lack the confidence in their driving skills required to maneuver the Elio safely. Doesn't seem like it should be an issue.
In some states if you go for a MC endorsement you are required to take a safety course on a two wheel MC. There are a lot of us out here who due to injuries (mine from military service) can not ride a two wheel MC.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In some states if you go for a MC endorsement you are required to take a safety course on a two wheel MC. There are a lot of us out here who due to injuries (mine from military service) can not ride a two wheel MC.
I fit into that category and have been known to say that if a MC endorsement is required I won't buy an Elio. However, I could be supportive of the formal classroom defensive driving and/or safety portion of the MC course...............without the actual drive proving your ability to handle a two wheeler.......which is not applicable to the Elio.

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I fit into that category and have been known to say that if a MC endorsement is required I won't buy an Elio. However, I could be supportive of the formal classroom defensive driving and/or safety portion of the MC course...............without the actual drive proving your ability to handle a two wheeler.......which is not applicable to the Elio.
Hopefully they will be able to get some legislators behind changes that will better reflect the needs of this vehicle.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's a sort of to scale drawing of an Elio in an 8x20 parking stall, angled in the way I'd park it. Looks to me like the LH mirror should give a good view of oncoming traffic.

As I live in the country and commute to suburbia, I might parallel park half a dozen times a year, so it's not a big issue for me. Mine will have fender mounted flashers though, OEM or aftermarket.

f2ae143200e990414f39d71bf6610fab.jpg

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's a sort of to scale drawing of an Elio in an 8x20 parking stall, angled in the way I'd park it. Looks to me like the LH mirror should give a good view of oncoming traffic.

As I live in the country and commute to suburbia, I might parallel park half a dozen times a year, so it's not a big issue for me. Mine will have fender mounted flashers though, OEM or aftermarket.

f2ae143200e990414f39d71bf6610fab.jpg

The true meaning of 'cut and paste'! I love it!

Top Bottom