• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Parts List And Exploded Views

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like your idea,

but wouldn't it not be cheaper for Elio Motors to just put all the information on a flash drive, and give it to you, with the title to your " NEW ELIO " Autocycle... You could then have all that information placed on your PC, laptop, tablet, phone...or some other strange mobile device...

If Elio Motors does any planning, and I believe they do.. they will have all the information on DVD, Book, flash drive, or just a website with all that information on it for all of us to see... They have been up front with everything else,

I would like that information for myself also, it would be very handy to have for all the " off the shelf parts " that goes in a Elio...

"

Like that even better! A little SD card or thumb drive...heck they could just have a link on their website with a PDF file to download if you wanted a physical copy to have on hand.

Only thing that worries me about the JIT (just in time) manufacturing method, is all it takes is for one vendor/supplier to NOT make their quota, and the whole line can be shut down until the parts show up...happens all the time where I work.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
...Only thing that worries me about the JIT (just in time) manufacturing method, is all it takes is for one vendor/supplier to NOT make their quota, and the whole line can be shut down until the parts show up...happens all the time where I work.

I am sure this is a major considerations for EM and the reason why they have partnered with existing automotive industry suppliers who have plenty of experience with JIT manufacturing in the automotive industry. Also by using American and North American content, as much as is possible, EM is cutting down on the extended supply lines and delays associated with international shipping and as well as cutting out dealing with labor issues and such on other continents.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Only thing that worries me about the JIT (just in time) manufacturing method, is all it takes is for one vendor/supplier to NOT make their quota, and the whole line can be shut down until the parts show up...happens all the time where I work.

I am sure this is a major considerations for EM and the reason why they have partnered with existing automotive industry suppliers who have plenty of experience with JIT manufacturing in the automotive industry.

JIT with all of its potential for problems has become the standard way of doing business for many industries .... in RV manufacturing only sufficient parts to complete a given work period are delivered .... when it works smoothly, its great .... no inventory .... a major headache is often the lack of spare parts to provide quick service to customers .... in many cases the replacement parts order has to go to the supplier where it can take weeks if not months to work the order into the manufacturing schedule .... during the economic downturn a few years back the RV manufactures learned the hard way that it can also be bad to only have one source for any given part .... should a supplier go bankrupt and there isn't an immediate backup source for the parts, manufacturing can grind to an almost instant halt

Jim

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to see a tablet included. It could be your portable NAV unit, track and record all of the on-board diagnostics; you could also have it come preloaded with the full schematic of your build (thus the complete parts list used during build). If you have a mid production model that has a change it would be included in your build info. As the Elio goes through service life, it would log everything and anything done to the unit. Nice log book to pass on to a second owner. With the price of tablets, it could be a possibility for an upgrade add on.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd like to see a tablet included. It could be your portable NAV unit, track and record all of the on-board diagnostics; you could also have it come preloaded with the full schematic of your build (thus the complete parts list used during build). If you have a mid production model that has a change it would be included in your build info. As the Elio goes through service life, it would log everything and anything done to the unit. Nice log book to pass on to a second owner. With the price of tablets, it could be a possibility for an upgrade add on.
Sure we can all dream......But with the rock hard commitment of $6800 you can bet that's an after market item.
PS Anyone curious about how Paul Elio arrived at his goal of $6800 Dollars?

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure we can all dream......But with the rock hard commitment of $6800 you can bet that's an after market item.
PS Anyone curious about how Paul Elio arrived at his goal of $6800 Dollars?
Two guesses
First, if you take 49mpg city and 84mpg highway and follow the DOT formula, you reach 68MPG combined.
Second, 84mpg is the goal as it is 3 times the average mpg when the Elio project started. I wonder if 6800 is 1/3 of the average economy vehicle price when he started.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The price has actually fluctuated over time. From 2008-2012 the price varied between $5900-$7500 before settling at $6800 with the release of the P3 in early 2013.

I believe this week's Tech Talk Model T reference was likely just an interesting coincidence which they discovered along the way.

We do have a thread for this discussion:

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/where-did-the-6800-00-number-come-from.2344/

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping that too. I'm not a great mechanic, but I do enjoy working on my vehicles. It seems to me that the Elio's design lends itself to "do it yourself" repairs/maintenance - especially if parts are readily available (at Pep Boys). I'm eager to see if this forum will become of resource of "how-to's" and advice from other Elio owners on issues like maintenance, repairs, and upgrades.
You know it will, if this site has this many followers and none of us even have received our elios yet

Top Bottom