• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Paul Elio Responds To Critics, Ttac, 10-20-2014

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was calculating in my head last night (when I should be sleeping !), if an engine is run to destruction by endurance, and the rate is the rpm and output you'd get at a typical 75mph, that engine has to run 5000hours if it makes 350,000 miles. At 168hours/week, that's about 30weeks.
Just going to 100,000 miles is 10weeks, or about to the end of the year.

Hopefully there is other work on the 25 test cars going on in parallel and not waiting for engine testing to conclude.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was calculating in my head last night (when I should be sleeping !), if an engine is run to destruction by endurance, and the rate is the rpm and output you'd get at a typical 75mph, that engine has to run 5000hours if it makes 350,000 miles. At 168hours/week, that's about 30weeks.

Hopefully there is other work on the 25 test cars going on in parallel and not waiting for engine testing to conclude.

Maybe they will run it more than 168 hour per week. You know give it that 110% like the jocks do.
I'm sure there must be a yogism for this but I don't know what ii might be.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Software is very helpful. And I have seen expert's with software make huge blunders as well.
Software is only as good as the knowledge and data that is entered.
I have watched expert's with software make a ship ....the model sank..lol
After the kinks were worked out the ship could not do its mission. A noaa fisheries vessle....becuse the missing data from there plan...
They never talked to a fisherman. and the nets would not work as planned.
Slight oversight ..cost big bucks.
Few million later they got it worked out.
Not a good plan for the tax payer.
Nothing will test a motor better than the road. Bad gas. Traffic. Ect...
I am glad to see that a spin test has been done.
Fire it up guys...

Lucky for Elio, this isn't the first engine IAV has developed!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Maybe they'll run it hotter and harder than it will see in real life driving and extrapolate the longevity data from that.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just going to 100,000 miles is 10weeks, or about to the end of the year..

You did those calculations in your head? Wow! :) :D ;)

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We can all hope so! :)

It's likely still a bit early to say for sure as there are still a lot of pieces which need to fall into place however it is great to see EM progressing with the engine and vehicle development program as if that is not completed in time nothing else really matters. At this point I would say that as long as EM continues moving forward with the vehicle development program at the expected pace there is a very good chance of the vehicle being production ready by about that time next year. :cool:
If you ever go back to PNNL, let me know, that's about 40 miles from home, less than a gallon of gas in Elio miles, love to have you out for a barbeque, better than Richland, my nearest neighbor is about 8 miles away, can barely see yard lights from here. BTW I'm impressed, PNNL employs some of the brightest minds in this country, if not the world.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I did the math when I read the article.
As a matter of fact, a co-worker expressed the same thought when I gave him a progress report.
Varying the RPM and load in cycles to red line and tolerance would be the only thing I could think of that would shorten the time.
Of course, what we hope for is an engine that won't blow up on them this side of 300,000K no matter what they do.
If it is, then what do we all do for fun, resort to watching water boil and paint dry?

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did the math when I read the article.
As a matter of fact, a co-worker expressed the same thought when I gave him a progress report.
Varying the RPM and load in cycles to red line and tolerance would be the only thing I could think of that would shorten the time.
Of course, what we hope for is an engine that won't blow up on them this side of 300,000K no matter what they do.
If it is, then what do we all do for fun, resort to watching water boil and paint dry?
Lots of engine fails on YouTube showing guys blowing up their engines in a matter of seconds. Don't really think that's what they mean, either.
One example:

Top Bottom