• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Performance Tires For The Elio Will Be A Pain.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh No GPA; you posted a stolen picture!! <Gasp!!>
The sign below replaced your picture.

Hot picture.gif

You should have done a screen scrape
Like this:

The picture in question.gif

Run and hide GPA; they'll be looking for you!

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2300 pound car is what I was using as a referance. Side wall stiffness significantly change the driving dynamics of a car, to include light ones.

I can almost guarantee what EM is going to tell you: "changing the tire size is not something we will or can do and meet our 84mpg or performance numbers. Once you take ownership of your Elio; you can change what ever you want".
Also take another item into consideration, are you comparing "spirited" of a typical 3,000+ pound car to the 1250lbs of the Elio? Because the Elio is so much lighter, the same rules and dynamics don't apply.

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wider fenders will reduce the aero, Wider tire will also reduce the mpg. NOT what the ELIO is about.
You forgot the wider contact patch also increases friction further reducing mpg. I see the Elio as a fun alternative to the boring econobox. I don't think it needs to be lightning fast, but I would like a firm responsive ride. I'd be happy with 50+ mpg and a 10 on the fun scale!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
EKH made mention the other day the EM had the results from the swerve test; they were going lock to lock and pulling a .85g at 50<?> (I think that was the speed he said) and they came back with stable and responsive.
So they might have come up with a new tire in that size.

Jeff H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well over in this thread, http://www.elioowners.com/threads/lios-talk-nuggets.7714/ They quoted PE as saying "Lock to Lock at 50mph" and ".85g lateral". I would assume the testing is being done with production tires, so that is not bad. My instinct would to keep an eye on the back end fishing out since it has less weight and a single tire.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You forgot the wider contact patch also increases friction further reducing mpg. I see the Elio as a fun alternative to the boring econobox. I don't think it needs to be lightning fast, but I would like a firm responsive ride. I'd be happy with 50+ mpg and a 10 on the fun scale!
I tend to leave tire size to the engineers. Especially in that the Elio is half the weight of most.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Been pondering the ease of finding the odd elio tire size.
You'll likely see mods for ease of purchase, meaning, a tire size that's actually available.
185 65 14 are cheap and numerous.

You'll also see slight mods so the front and rear tires are the same size.

Then we'll report the specs here with apparent MPG change and ferring fit

Top Bottom