• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Performance Tires For The Elio Will Be A Pain.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe you have it backward Wizard. 135/80/R15 tires are the fronts. 175/65/R15 for the rear. Slightly wider for a little larger contact patch since there's only one. These are more than adequate for a daily driver. A lightweight vehicle like the Elio would hydroplane easily in heavy rain (like we have regularly in the Houston area). Wider tires would only exasperate that. You could end up with a vehicle that would be undriveable at anything over 25 or 30 mph.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe you have it backward Wizard. 135/80/R15 tires are the fronts. 175/65/R15 for the rear. Slightly wider for a little larger contact patch since there's only one. These are more than adequate for a daily driver. A lightweight vehicle like the Elio would hydroplane easily in heavy rain (like we have regularly in the Houston area). Wider tires would only exasperate that. You could end up with a vehicle that would be undriveable at anything over 25 or 30 mph.

I agree! EM has done a lot of research/testing before deciding what sizes to use, to make sure the Elio will handle in a safe and predictable manner, in all driving conditions. I have little doubt that there will be some who throw on bigger tires with intention of better handling, like for Auto-cross. But, Is Auto-cross ever done in the rain? Or Snow? Or with a child in the vehicle? Or around pedestrians? I know there are people out there who like to "modify" everything!..I am one of them. I just hope we can do it in a safe and responsible way. I would hate to see Elio get a reputation like the Corvair (unpredictable over-steer), just because a bunch of folks "thought it was a good idea" to put on the "same size tire front and rear." :rant::tsk: Time for my meds. :becky:

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Duh....my bad :eek:
I just checked the specs and YOU are correct !!
Sorry TCO :(

Earl LaSitis

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I wonder is this going to be like most new cars no spare no jack and probably no tire iron .So maybe I better have a bike rack on the roof cause triple A not going to do much for a flat.

Darrellh

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I can see not going wider for mileage reasons, but is there a tire that is narrow that has a lower profile for better handling, even if you had to go to a 16" wheel?

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Darrellh --- because the Elio is very light weight the little fat 15 inch tires would handle better. Less mass to roll them over. Larger diameter wheels with low profile tires opens up a whole new set of problems. More susceptible to damage from pot holes and road debris. One of the Slingshot drivers biggest complaints is tire and wheel damage with their low profile tires. Reguarding 3 wheeled vehicles, I believe it was Jay Leno who said "If you see a pothole you ARE going to hit it.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely correct outsydthebox --- There's going to be a lot of modifications. What everyone needs to realize is anytime you deviate substantially from the original, engineering approved configuration you've just sign on as a test pilot for Elio motors. A responsibility not to be taken lightly. I'm afraid 3 wheelers like the Elio won't be nearly as forgiving as 4 wheelers. As you said, none of us want the Elio to get a bad reputation for something that seemed like a good idea at the time.

Top Bottom