• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Performance Tires For The Elio Will Be A Pain.

Bigfoot21075

Elio Fan
Reaction score
"Spirited driving"? Wider tires? All things considered (55hp, 1300lbs) I highly doubt you'd be outdriving the tires. In fact, I'd bet that wider tires would diminish the performance not to mention decrease fuel economy. I think it might even look a bit goofy to boot.
I have to agree - this sounds like trying to make a fast moped...

Sailor Mike

Reaction score
Remember the Austin Healey Sprite? 48 BHP, 1440 (I think) lbs, and 5.20 x 13 tires... those were 90 aspect ratio, BTW! They got my dad around the Nurburgring quite handily back in the late '50s - fast enough to land him a tire testing and evaluation job with Michelin. The Elio rubber will be fine, but you could upgrade to a 155/80 13 or 175/70 13 if you insist - though I don't think there would be any advantage in doing so.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Remember the Austin Healey Sprite? 48 BHP, 1440 (I think) lbs, and 5.20 x 13 tires... those were 90 aspect ratio, BTW! They got my dad around the Nurburgring quite handily back in the late '50s - fast enough to land him a tire testing and evaluation job with Michelin. The Elio rubber will be fine, but you could upgrade to a 155/80 13 or 175/70 13 if you insist - though I don't think there would be any advantage in doing so.
Ummm Sailor Mike; the Elio comes with 15's, 4 bolt pattern

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After having just purchased stud-less winter tires for my Jeep from TireRack.com, I plugged in the two different sizes for the Elio front pair and lone rear tire, and neither size is currently available on one of the largest tire/wheel retailer websites.

While the OEM recommended size wasn't available, I immediately contemplated plus/minus sizing, but there would be very little margin for variation in either of the front wheel skirts/covers or in the rear wheel cavity below the trunk and rear passenger area.

Has anyone been able to find existing tires available in the Elio OEM recommended size? Their tire supplier might be introducing a custom-fit size to the market just for the Elio.

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Spirited driving"? Wider tires? All things considered (55hp, 1300lbs) I highly doubt you'd be outdriving the tires. In fact, I'd bet that wider tires would diminish the performance not to mention decrease fuel economy. I think it might even look a bit goofy to boot.

Monkey can smash throttle and go fast, It takes a human to drive corners. Spirited driving isn't about a red light to red light thing. Its about turning.

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I queried Elio Motors directly about the status of Continental or any other tire supplier providing a studless winter tire in the OEM recommended or compatible sizes, and this was their response:

"Hello Mark,
As far as using stud studded snow tires, we are looking at our options as we speak, and our development team is working on several different options to make your Elio as efficient in the winter as possible. Please stay tuned for more details!

Thanks,
Elio Team"

The Rep responding to my email might not fully comprehend the difference between studded and studless winter performance tires, but hopefully the concern was routed through the appropriate channels to be addressed appropriately nonetheless.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I queried Elio Motors directly about the status of Continental or any other tire supplier providing a studless winter tire in the OEM recommended or compatible sizes, and this was their response:

"Hello Mark,
As far as using stud studded snow tires, we are looking at our options as we speak, and our development team is working on several different options to make your Elio as efficient in the winter as possible. Please stay tuned for more details!

Thanks,
Elio Team"

The Rep responding to my email might not fully comprehend the difference between studded and studless winter performance tires, but hopefully the concern was routed through the appropriate channels to be addressed appropriately nonetheless.
Since Continental is doing the tires, why not talk to them? Don't tell them it's for an Elio; just give them the sizes.
And don't talk to a local tire store, go directly to the Continental Tire people.
Let's see what they have to say about it.

Top Bottom