• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Please Remember That The Elio Is An Exercise In Simplicity.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It appears that the steering wheel is derived from the same product that is in the Scion. If Elio doesn't make tilt available as an option, I'll bet you could score a tilt wheel from a wrecking yard.

In other news, as soon as they make that flux capacitor option available, I'm going back to 1986 and buying Microsoft at $28.

Nah not possible Doc Brown said the stainless steel body helped with the flux dispersal. So Stainless steel body option?:p

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps this is a rant or open letter to the buyers, readers, and maybe even the designers and engineers of the Elio.

The Elio is an exercise in simplicity!
I say this because I keep seeing ideas, requests, and or suggestions that go against the entire idea of making inexpensive transportation. It's the KIS (Keep It Simple) ((I left off the second S for professionalism)) philosophy.

There are suggestions on electric, hybrid, rotary, supercharging, turbo charging, more power, diesel, height adjustment, heated seats, heated mirrors, rear facing camera, blue tooth, GPS, wet bars, solar panels, leaning while steering, higher top speed, power steering, auto pilot, Bose 90 speaker surround sound, flux capacitor, moon roof, armor, run flat tires, tactical nukes, coffee maker and room to seat 20.

Stop... Just stop.

Let it all go. Get me to work, safely, predictably and efficiently.
Make maintenance easy with no special tools and procedures.
Make every component a line replaceable item, meaning not having to remove several components to get to a commonly replaced item.

I'll be honest, I'm ok with roll down windows and power NOTHING to keep everything nice and simple.

Keeping the Elio simple will keep research and development costs down at a time where investment capital is restricted and time is of the essence.

Final note to the Elio team.
One day the Elio will succeed. When there ARE advanced options available and the capital for researching them is easily available. When that happens, you need to remember your roots and keep the simplest model readily available. Every auto manufacturer has forgotten the entry level consumer. Please do not repeat their disastrous mistake.
Completely agreed! Low price transportation DEFINES the target consumer for Elio. I'll customize in my own garage thanks. Anyone who is in a hurry to sacrifice low price for more options, or the high mpg for more power, might as well just go buy a car off the lot today! They make LOTS of over-priced gas suckers with every option you can imagine. (power fold-in mirrors???? Is that a JOKE???) I guess my fear is that the company might mistake all this idle chatter for some kind of market research and start to think they can't sell the product without all the crap that comes on cars these days. I for one am WAITING to buy true low-cost transportation, and I NEED it to be simple, cheap, and ultra-high mileage! I spend $3400 per year commuting and I can NOT afford it. My family needs that money much more than Exxon, and I will not be buying any $50,000 hybrid

jaydogg13

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Perhaps this is a rant or open letter to the buyers, readers, and maybe even the designers and engineers of the Elio.

I say this because I keep seeing ideas, requests, and or suggestions that go against the entire idea of making inexpensive transportation. It's the KIS (Keep It Simple) ((I left off the second S for professionalism)) philosophy.

There are suggestions on electric, hybrid, rotary, supercharging, turbo charging, more power, diesel, height adjustment, heated seats, heated mirrors, rear facing camera, blue tooth, GPS, wet bars, solar panels, leaning while steering, higher top speed, power steering, auto pilot, Bose 90 speaker surround sound, flux capacitor, moon roof, armor, run flat tires, tactical nukes, coffee maker and room to seat 20.

Stop... Just stop.

Make every component a line replaceable item, meaning not having to remove several components to get to a commonly replaced item.

I'll be honest, I'm ok with roll down windows and power NOTHING to keep everything nice and simple.

Keeping the Elio simple will keep research and development costs down at a time where investment capital is restricted and time is of the essence.

One day the Elio will succeed. When there ARE advanced options available and the capital for researching them is easily available. When that happens, you need to remember your roots and keep the simplest model readily available. Every auto manufacturer has forgotten the entry level consumer. Please do not repeat their disastrous mistake.
Right On !

Stop... Just stop.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Completely agreed! Low price transportation DEFINES the target consumer for Elio. I'll customize in my own garage thanks. Anyone who is in a hurry to sacrifice low price for more options, or the high mpg for more power, might as well just go buy a car off the lot today! They make LOTS of over-priced gas suckers with every option you can imagine. (power fold-in mirrors???? Is that a JOKE???) I guess my fear is that the company might mistake all this idle chatter for some kind of market research and start to think they can't sell the product without all the crap that comes on cars these days. I for one am WAITING to buy true low-cost transportation, and I NEED it to be simple, cheap, and ultra-high mileage! I spend $3400 per year commuting and I can NOT afford it. My family needs that money much more than Exxon, and I will not be buying any $50,000 hybrid

I'm with you brother!
I was really impressed with Ekh's comments after seeing the P4 and talking with the reps. Especially when he was told that Paul "knows" they could sell it for more money, but the goal is to keep the price low because that is what people "need". I trust EM to stay on the right path.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm with you brother!
I was really impressed with Ekh's comments after seeing the P4 and talking with the reps. Especially when he was told that Paul "knows" they could sell it for more money, but the goal is to keep the price low because that is what people "need". I trust EM to stay on the right path.
I say they out sell Toyota in the middle of there 3rd year of production.:)

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In other news, as soon as they make that flux capacitor option available, I'm going back to 1986 and buying Microsoft at $28.
Lighten up Lil4X. Seems there are simply going to be lots of discussions like this just to pass the time.
PS we use to charge 600v capacitors and leave them on the desks for the next class in Electronics school. LOL

Top Bottom