• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Polaris Slingshot

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I was watching a show the other night on how they build the KTM X-Bow and kept thinking "which came first, the X-bow or the Slingshot" they do kind of look the same; but the KTM is 4 wheels

5812-1c369efd4e9e47409993549b23827ea2.jpg 5813-031d79a9d801f487ff6bec7584ae2393.jpg

Attachments

• X-Bow.png
    X-Bow.png
    30 KB · Views: 411
  • Slingshot.jpg
    Slingshot.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 325

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Products like the Sling shot are going to push the limits of laws and regulations that many 3 wheel type vehicles slip pass as motorcycles.
Putting the Slingshot on the road could back fire.
IMO no three wheeler is a motorcycle

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Products like the Sling shot are going to push the limits of laws and regulations that many 3 wheel type vehicles slip pass as motorcycles.
Putting the Slingshot on the road could back fire.
IMO no three wheeler is a motorcycle

3 wheelers have been around for a very long time; the Morgan's were one of the first in 1910.
They were called Cycle Cars then because they were a car with any type of motorcycle engine; but they were the same design as the Slingshot; 2 wheels in front, one in the rear. In the early 1900's they were trying a number of different names to call vehicles, but that's where the division started.
A car had 4 wheels, and a motorcycle had 2; but they ran into naming problems when they started hanging sidecars on bikes; you couldn't call them a car so they widened the school of thought to 2 or 3 wheels was a motorcycle, 4 and up was a car and it pretty much stuck since.
The Slingshot is a configuration that has been around for over 100 years so I don't see how they would be pushing the limit.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
3 wheelers have been around for a very long time; the Morgan's were one of the first in 1910.
They were called Cycle Cars then because they were a car with any type of motorcycle engine; but they were the same design as the Slingshot; 2 wheels in front, one in the rear. In the early 1900's they were trying a number of different names to call vehicles, but that's where the division started.
A car had 4 wheels, and a motorcycle had 2; but they ran into naming problems when they started hanging sidecars on bikes; you couldn't call them a car so they widened the school of thought to 2 or 3 wheels was a motorcycle, 4 and up was a car and it pretty much stuck since.
The Slingshot is a configuration that has been around for over 100 years so I don't see how they would be pushing the limit.

True how ever their numbers were small and they were not the power hot rods the Slingshot is. Lot of thing slide under the radar until someone goes one step farther .

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I believe the Elio is / will be the only tadpole configured, front wheel drive, three wheeler out there. I may be showing prejudice against older configurations, but Morgan, Slingshot and the other tadpoles are rear wheel drive. That, in my opinion, makes for a more unstable platform. I didn't include Can-Am because that has motorcycle controls and seating position.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
True how ever their numbers were small and they were not the power hot rods the Slingshot is. Lot of thing slide under the radar until someone goes one step farther .
The power hot rod, hmmmm the Slingshot comes with a 2.4 liter DOHC; the Triumph Rocket III (a 2 wheeler) comes with a 2.3 liter at about 163bhp
I don't see much difference there. There is also a company building replicas of the monster bike with the Viper V10, limited basis, very expensive, very scary to ride because it's so heavy.
Nope, don't even think they're pushing any new limits in power.
It "looks" really fast, but it's not that much of a hot rod.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The power hot rod, hmmmm the Slingshot comes with a 2.4 liter DOHC; the Triumph Rocket III (a 2 wheeler) comes with a 2.3 liter at about 163bhp
I don't see much difference there. There is also a company building replicas of the monster bike with the Viper V10, limited basis, very expensive, very scary to ride because it's so heavy.
Nope, don't even think they're pushing any new limits in power.
It "looks" really fast, but it's not that much of a hot rod.

earlier today I got a look under the hood of the Slingshot shown in the pictures in the first post in this thread .... picture below .... it talking with the fellow who owns it, he has a turbocharger kit on order .... he says that there is a high demand for the kits that there is a 4+ month waiting list

150603 002c slingshot 001.jpg

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Logic tells me if this small group of active posters is starting to see them all across the country, they must be selling very well.

And Smitty, hot rods don't kill people. People kill people. The powers that be are aware of that.

if there are no inherent safety issues with them, other than being perhaps too hot for some skill levels, they'll be around for a while.

Live long and prosper.

Last edited:
Top Bottom