• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Poll - Are You Or Have You Ever Been A Motorcycle Rider?

Current, Former, or never been a Motorcycle rider

• Total voters

cortsdad2

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been into motorcycles since before I was a teenager and have been an avid street rider of cruisers, long distance touring bikes, sport bikes, and smaller "standards" for more than three decades.

However, after riding a can am and extrapolating from that experience I fully anticipate that the elio will be nothing like riding a motorcycle. The can am felt more like a snow mobile than a motorcycle. The front end plowed and I found that to corner with any speed I had to get off the seat and lean much more significantly than I would have on a motorcycle. Steering on the can am was similar in that it has a bar but you couldn't counter steer like you do on a bike and so steering input was heavy and slow.

On a more positive note, the elio has a lower center of gravity, a wider front end, and a longer wheelbase that I truly believe will fix a lot of the issues that the can am has. The elio is also front wheel drive so it should pull through corners instead of pushing like the can am and all that should reduce a lot of that plowing I didn't like about the can am.

Looking into the cockpit, the elio with its steering wheel and reclining seat will be more car like than being perched on any motorcycle even if that motorcycle had a backrest. The instruments, environment, etc. will also be more reminiscent of a car than even the most well appointed touring bike. Even getting in and out of the car is nothing like riding a motorcycle.

So why do motorcyclists seem to be drawn to it???

My theory is that we are drawn to it not because it is a bike but because it has some of the same things that a bike gives us. For some that is cheap transportation, for others it is the chance to propel yourself down the road in something other than a boring cage, and for others it is because they are adrenaline junkies that are lusting after riding next to the ground and staring at the pontoon wheels :)

After seeing the Elio framework... The Elio will be the most aptly described "cage" I've ever driven!

cortsdad2

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It may remind us of a closed in weather protected Can-Am and hopefully have some of the same riding type sensations and pleasures
I've ridden motorcycles since my teens (almost 35 years) and last summer rode from SLC to Southern California, ride out was perfect, after a 10 day stay, the ride back through the Nevada desert was SO MISERABLY HOT that I had to stop in places I had never had to before! Getting older makes one much less tolerant, air conditioning is a gift from the Gods! I'm ready for an Elio!

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Point taken. I'm going to write up as too late for me too in that I'm 70 . Not worth the risks. I never got to own a scooter although I had a friend who let me ride his cushman huskey. At 3 hp and a centrifugal clutch. you crouched and ducked your head so as to maybe get to 35 mph.

Had 2 Cushman's a 59 Eagle and then a 62 Silver Eagle. Cast Iron Block, electric start and 2 speed trans, the square back actually held my Tuba. Boy was I the hot shit with that baby, or so I thought! :D

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had 2 Cushman's a 59 Eagle and then a 62 Silver Eagle. Cast Iron Block, electric start and 2 speed trans, the square back actually held my Tuba. Boy was I the hot shit with that baby, or so I thought! :D
That you were. coolest ever. I had a fight after school with the bully that drove a black Eagle. He had a gold colored ring the size of golf ball that he kept trying to put in my eye. You know the type; has huge taps on his boots, long blond greasy hair in a duck tail, oh and don't forget the heavily studded black leather jacket. LOL

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had 5 bikes. All Jap.
4 Suzuki's, and a Yamaha.
The last one, '83 Suzy GS1100E. It's long gone, but the one thing I remember quite vividly, was....
55, 85 and 105mph. That was @ 9500rpm, in first, second and third.

Just recently got an '05 Suzuki Boulevard LTD. for my wife and I got to admit
that is one sweet ride. Quiet, smooth, good lookin' and just about rides itself.
First time on it, with wife on the back and I could do parking lot exercises, at a
walk, turning the bars all the way to lock, and doing S and U turns like I knew
what I was doing. Wife loves it! Still like my mean as a snake 1200 lowrider
HD, even though I think it would be happy to toss me on the asphalt and run me over. :D

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That you were. coolest ever. I had a fight after school with the bully that drove a black Eagle. He had a gold colored ring the size of golf ball that he kept trying to put in my eye. You know the type; has huge taps on his boots, long blond greasy hair in a duck tail, oh and don't forget the heavily studded black leather jacket. LOL

I knew him!!........b@#$%&d succeeded with my left eye.....twice! :mad:

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had a bunch of bikes . 2 Stroke Suzuki was 1st as a teen . A Honda CB750, Kawi KZ1100 then a Harley Sportster . ( leaked more than a $5 hooker) .
In the '90s , I imported , rode and sold a bunch of Vintage Vespas and lambrettas . Been riding a Honda Wave recently .....I don't think I'll ever give it up completely .

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had a bunch of bikes . 2 Stroke Suzuki was 1st as a teen . A Honda CB750, Kawi KZ1100 then a Harley Sportster . ( leaked more than a $5 hooker) .
In the '90s , I imported , rode and sold a bunch of Vintage Vespas and lambrettas . Been riding a Honda Wave recently .....I don't think I'll ever give it up completely .

CB750 and a Sporty, You can't be all bad!! ;) check this pic out, that was my baby for almost 40 years.
750 159.jpg

Attachments

• 750 159.jpg
    750 159.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 189

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Grow up to get a few tatts and ride a Hog??

Top Bottom