• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Poll - Are You Or Have You Ever Been A Motorcycle Rider?

Current, Former, or never been a Motorcycle rider

• Total voters

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been into motorcycles since before I was a teenager and have been an avid street rider of cruisers, long distance touring bikes, sport bikes, and smaller "standards" for more than three decades.

However, after riding a can am and extrapolating from that experience I fully anticipate that the elio will be nothing like riding a motorcycle. The can am felt more like a snow mobile than a motorcycle. The front end plowed and I found that to corner with any speed I had to get off the seat and lean much more significantly than I would have on a motorcycle. Steering on the can am was similar in that it has a bar but you couldn't counter steer like you do on a bike and so steering input was heavy and slow.

On a more positive note, the elio has a lower center of gravity, a wider front end, and a longer wheelbase that I truly believe will fix a lot of the issues that the can am has. The elio is also front wheel drive so it should pull through corners instead of pushing like the can am and all that should reduce a lot of that plowing I didn't like about the can am.

Looking into the cockpit, the elio with its steering wheel and reclining seat will be more car like than being perched on any motorcycle even if that motorcycle had a backrest. The instruments, environment, etc. will also be more reminiscent of a car than even the most well appointed touring bike. Even getting in and out of the car is nothing like riding a motorcycle.

So why do motorcyclists seem to be drawn to it???

My theory is that we are drawn to it not because it is a bike but because it has some of the same things that a bike gives us. For some that is cheap transportation, for others it is the chance to propel yourself down the road in something other than a boring cage, and for others it is because they are adrenaline junkies that are lusting after riding next to the ground and staring at the pontoon wheels :)

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been into motorcycles since before I was a teenager and have been an avid street rider of cruisers, long distance touring bikes, sport bikes, and smaller "standards" for more than three decades.

However, after riding a can am and extrapolating from that experience I fully anticipate that the elio will be nothing like riding a motorcycle. The can am felt more like a snow mobile than a motorcycle. The front end plowed and I found that to corner with any speed I had to get off the seat and lean much more significantly than I would have on a motorcycle. Steering on the can am was similar in that it has a bar but you couldn't counter steer like you do on a bike and so steering input was heavy and slow.

On a more positive note, the elio has a lower center of gravity, a wider front end, and a longer wheelbase that I truly believe will fix a lot of the issues that the can am has. The elio is also front wheel drive so it should pull through corners instead of pushing like the can am and all that should reduce a lot of that plowing I didn't like about the can am.

Looking into the cockpit, the elio with its steering wheel and reclining seat will be more car like than being perched on any motorcycle even if that motorcycle had a backrest. The instruments, environment, etc. will also be more reminiscent of a car than even the most well appointed touring bike. Even getting in and out of the car is nothing like riding a motorcycle.

So why do motorcyclists seem to be drawn to it???

My theory is that we are drawn to it not because it is a bike but because it has some of the same things that a bike gives us. For some that is cheap transportation, for others it is the chance to propel yourself down the road in something other than a boring cage, and for others it is because they are adrenaline junkies that are lusting after riding next to the ground and staring at the pontoon wheels :)

It may remind us of a closed in weather protected Can-Am and hopefully have some of the same riding type sensations and pleasures

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay. Here's a little Poll-istic info for you. Polls are always biased - either intentionally or not intentionally. Let's take your "Motorcycle rider or not poll".. I would first point out that most people who are considering an Elio either already see themselves driving alone or can see that possiblility in the future. I'd also suggest that a higher percentage of "solo riders" are also motorcycle riders vs. those who either have no commute or have riders with them. It's highly more likely that a motorcycle rider would look at a primarily one-passenger car than a person who primarily has people with them. So, of course, a high number of Elio enthusiasts would be current or prior motorcycle riders. It would be similar to wondering why there's a higher percentage of saltwater fishermen in Florida than in North Dakota and deciding that it is because of the weather.

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay. Here's a little Poll-istic info for you. Polls are always biased - either intentionally or not intentionally. Let's take your "Motorcycle rider or not poll".. I would first point out that most people who are considering an Elio either already see themselves driving alone or can see that possiblility in the future. I'd also suggest that a higher percentage of "solo riders" are also motorcycle riders vs. those who either have no commute or have riders with them. It's highly more likely that a motorcycle rider would look at a primarily one-passenger car than a person who primarily has people with them. So, of course, a high number of Elio enthusiasts would be current or prior motorcycle riders. It would be similar to wondering why there's a higher percentage of saltwater fishermen in Florida than in North Dakota and deciding that it is because of the weather.
Ty two other significant factors...a significant segment of the Elio buyers are motorcycle riders because of the same price point as a motorcycle. They cannot afford a car....and the one someone brought up at work...if it is "not a car" then can I drive it while I have a DUI working against me like I can a motorcycle in my state?

ccryder

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been a Rider for 35+ years! stopped counting miles at 500,000. Currently I have a 79' Moto Guzzi V50 II, 04' Honda ST1300, and Buell 1125R. As far as Adding farkels (functional sparkles ) they all have a number. I suspect my Elio will be no different.

Previously I had thought about one of the Can Am Spyders but there are a number of issues in my mind:
#1) Price $18-23k
#2) Heat issues on Rider
#3) MPG 35-40
#4) Crash Protection
#5) Weather protection

The Elio will give me the best of both worlds.

Later
Neil S.

redhedman50

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Got a 2011 Victory Cross Country bagger with trunk. Previous include: 83 Yamaha Maxim, 74 Honda 350/4, 75 Suzuki 250 Dual Sport, 82 Honda CM250T, oh, and a Gilera (Italian bike).

Top Bottom