• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Poll ---- Your interest in an electric Elio ?

Are you likely to be in the market for such a vehicle ?

• YES

Votes: 39 45.9%
  • NO

Votes: 46 54.1%

• Total voters

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The F-150 is Ford's flagship vehicle. You would think if they are going to make an EV truck it would be "bullet proof"... not catch fire. This vehicle was brand new!!

Upon reading your article, the majority of the fires are electrical in nature, not gasoline. When a manufacturer overloads an electrical system with too many gadgets, you get electrical fires, not gasoline fires.

chart.JPG
Source: https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/gove...e-significantly-more-prone-to-fires-than-evs/

The only gasoline fire was an exotic McLaren, but don't let those pesky facts get in the way of an article.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The F-150 is Ford's flagship vehicle. You would think if they are going to make an EV truck it would be "bullet proof"... not catch fire. This vehicle was brand new!!

Upon reading your article, the majority of the fires are electrical in nature, not gasoline. When a manufacturer overloads an electrical system with too many gadgets, you get electrical fires, not gasoline fires.

View attachment 26409
Source: https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/gove...e-significantly-more-prone-to-fires-than-evs/

The only gasoline fire was an exotic McLaren, but don't let those pesky facts get in the way of an article.
You seem to imply that EVs are more prone to electrical fires than gasoline vehicles and that’s simply not the case. Spark an electrical fire in a gasoline vehicle BAM! …….you have an explosion…..less safe in my opinion. Ford had an issue with exploding gas tanks on their Pinto’s years back (I owned a ‘76 Pinto Station Wagon) and was the last Ford product I purchased. Perhaps it’s a Ford Motors quality control issue, be it an EV or ICE Model. :)

Last edited:

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ford had an issue with exploding gas tanks on their Pinto’s years back (I owned a ‘76 Pinto Station Wagon) and was the last Ford product I purchased.
You are going to all the way back to the Pinto to prove your point. Ford put profits ahead of safety with the Pinto incident, they learned their lesson after the punitive damages were awarded.
You seem to imply that EVs are more prone to electrical fires than gasoline vehicles
I'm not implying anything, let the articles speak for themselves. Your article was the one that reinforced the fact that the fires in the ICE cars are electrical and Hybrid-battery related, not caused by the gasoline fuel consumed by the engines.

The McLaren being the rare exception. (Personally, I've only seen one McLaren and that was at a car show)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
But Ford has more problems than Battery Fires in the electric PU.
Like they barely have enough "poop" to get out of their own way. Once they are moving, they are ok, but still, it's gutless as all get out.
I don't know very many people who would like that, a pickup is supposed to have "grunt" and this one isn't even close. They have more work to do on it. But you know they won't tell you about it.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But Ford has more problems than Battery Fires in the electric PU.
Like they barely have enough "poop" to get out of their own way. Once they are moving, they are ok, but still, it's gutless as all get out.
I don't know very many people who would like that, a pickup is supposed to have "grunt" and this one isn't even close. They have more work to do on it. But you know they won't tell you about it.
Yes... I agree.
I use my GM pickup for work (flipping houses)... It is not a show truck by any means. I use it for hauling, towing and other abusive jobs. I do keep up with the maintenance, so it has stood the test of time (25 years). It has the dents and scratches to prove it gets the job done!!
I'm guessing there are a few individuals that just haul the occasional piece of furniture and their pickup truck has an easy life. Perhaps those individuals can put up with a "gutless" electric pickup truck, but not me.

Velhartice

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are going to all the way back to the Pinto to prove your point. Ford put profits ahead of safety with the Pinto incident, they learned their lesson after the punitive damages were awarded.

I'm not implying anything, let the articles speak for themselves. Your article was the one that reinforced the fact that the fires in the ICE cars are electrical and Hybrid-battery related, not caused by the gasoline fuel consumed by the engines.

The McLaren being the rare exception. (Personally, I've only seen one McLaren and that was at a car show)
The pinto “explosion” issue is fixed with cutting a section of the metal filler neck out and replacing it with a piece of rubber hose. Not to mention the media greatly overhyped the issue.

BEVs (and LiION hybrids) come with their own fire safety concerns regardless of fire frequency which I would wager there’s not going to be much of a difference in frequency % vs ICE.

The biggest difference with BEV fire safety is they take several times more water to put out vs ICE and they can have a tendency to re-ignite themselves at anytime after the battery has been compromised for days or weeks later. I’ve seen stories of a few catching fire again multiple times after being put out. There are also electrocution risks. This must be taken into account.

NTSB paper on this:

Vox article:

Top Bottom