• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Poll ---- Your interest in an electric Elio ?

Are you likely to be in the market for such a vehicle ?

• YES

Votes: 39 45.9%
  • NO

Votes: 46 54.1%

• Total voters
Reaction score
OK, I might just be scared of taking on new responsibilities, like needing a new cell phone. I bought mine from The Dollar General store. I only use it once a week, when I go out. Does the battery loose power while sitting in the drive or garage all week? Do you have to charge it every day? Insurance rates, wiring, solar panels, maybe a new garage, all those buttons and apps. Can I still visit my friend in West Virginia, a 120 mile trip, without carrying an electric cord, a dam teenager or spend the night. Will it go through high water or up the WVA hills. What about ground clearance? Johnny Bob down the road won't be able to help me anymore, if it don't start or push me out of a ditch. All those buttons!!! I just want to get in it and go when I want too, like an ICE vehicle and carry a cell phone for emergencies. Someday, I will need to replace my 2001 grand marquis. But, I don't need a fancy cell phone, the games, the government tracing and control or the dam teenager. I just want a simple car to get to the store once a week. I want my ICE Elio. WHAT OR WHICH BROKER DEALS WITH ELIO STOCK NOW A DAYS? And who is the one person out there still buying stock? How, and with which broker?

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Similar low number of yearly miles driven on all the other new cars I’ve purchased over the past 60 years of new car ownership. With that said, fewer parts, fewer issues, better MPGe, and more fun to drive the EV. The more I drive, the more I save. First car the Black ‘59 VW. First new car the tan ‘72 VW, with all new cars to follow. Current daily driver the Tesla Model Y, My planned last new vehicle purchase will likely be the Arcimoto FUV if/when it’s fully enclosed OR the BEX. :)

View attachment 26270
Just go out and look at how many miles is on it today. The tell us the year make and model of what you have. What we need is to compare apples to apples. I would never compare a 1985 Audi 5000 Turbo to a 2020 Tesla Model 3. Cars have got much better since then, so just answer the question. It gives a base as to recent information, not what we did back in the day.

I'll start. I have a 2017 VW Golf. I use it for work. Thus I track mileage, fuel and maintenance as I can write those off for my yearly taxes.

At 30 months:
Mileage: 42K
Maintenance: 4 oil changes
Tires: 1 set
Wipers: 2 sets
Washer Fluid: 6 gallons
Windscreen (rock hit it): $100 deductible
Other: Rear hatch struts
Brakes: Still have 6mm on the front and 7mm on the rear.

As you can see, any EV out there would do better with no oil changes. Thus the savings there. I would assume that just because it's an EV, things like bad wipers, empty washer fluid, wore out tires, wore out suspension and things like rock chips still happen. If not, then the EV industry has done a great job of fixing those problems. If that's the case, I'm all for an EV. Convince me. Remember I did have an BMW EV. So I'm not against them, but I question the lack of maintenance or failures. As for the failures, I will bring that up later as I have personal experience with that when it comes to EV's and the most poplar brand in America.

I look forward to your mileage for the 30 months of ownership.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This guy used his Tesla Model S for work……..a high mileage experience.

I suggest you go to Amsterdam and see what they have done there. They only use Teslas for Taxis. They crank out the km's on them. Have been do
……..and what is it you are comparing my personal driving habits and actual mileage to? My average yearly driving is <10K miles. Seems adequate. :)
I will assume you have only put 2500 miles on it in three years. I have to assume this s it's a 60 second thing to see the number.

Since you only put 2500 miles on it, it would be like any other car. Zero maintenance.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
like needing a new cell phone
Yes, a few months back, my cell phone provider contacted me telling me I had to upgrade my 12 year old cell phone. Apparently it was on an older 3G network and that network was shutting down. They kept trying to get me to take on a smart phone, I dug my heels in and said "NO, I want a dumb phone!!" The closest thing they had was a refurbished flip phone and it was FREE (bonus for me).
Similar to you, I don't want all of those buttons and apps. I only need a cell phone to call for a tow truck if/when I can't get the car to limp home and that's it. I use my landline to call family and friends.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This electric world with its own jargon and language, I am just not interested in joining.
Just in case you weren't confused enough, this gentleman attempts to explain "DC Fast Charging". I think he did a pretty comprehensive job at explaining it, but I feel like I'd need an electrical engineering degree to fully digest it all.
DC Fast Charging

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just in case you weren't confused enough, this gentleman attempts to explain "DC Fast Charging". I think he did a pretty comprehensive job at explaining it, but I feel like I'd need an electrical engineering degree to fully digest it all.
DC Fast Charging
As it turns out It wasn’t nearly as complicated as I thought. I plugged mine into the 120 outlet in my garage. Currently wired for 240……same as my dryer outlet. More convenient than pumping gas. I know nothing about electricity or gas pumps. I was skeptical, but happy to have experienced an EV. The most fun enjoyable to drive car I’ve owned. My neighbor was a skeptic too. He decided to lease an EV for awhile. Gas savings applied to his monthly lease payment. :)

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I plugged mine into the 120 outlet in my garage.
And that's great if all you are going to do is commute to work or run errands around your immediate area. If you are going outside your immediate range, then you are going to have to know how many volts your car is, how quickly your car will charge, how many watts it will accept, whether the charger you are going to is A/C or D/C, where the appropriate charger is, if it is functioning, etc. Moreover, you may need to have an account with the company supplying the electric and watch out for those fees and minimums he talked about in the video.
Today, I went into my local gas station handed the clerk a $10 bill and purchased a few gallons of gas. I didn't need to know anything, other than which side of the vehicle my fill door was on. The price per gallon was both on the road sign and on the pump... no hidden fees, no membership charges and no surprises. I was in and out in less than 3 minutes.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And that's great if all you are going to do is commute to work or run errands around your immediate area. If you are going outside your immediate range, then you are going to have to know how many volts your car is, how quickly your car will charge, how many watts it will accept, whether the charger you are going to is A/C or D/C, where the appropriate charger is, if it is functioning, etc. Moreover, you may need to have an account with the company supplying the electric and watch out for those fees and minimums he talked about in the video.
Today, I went into my local gas station handed the clerk a $10 bill and purchased a few gallons of gas. I didn't need to know anything, other than which side of the vehicle my fill door was on. The price per gallon was both on the road sign and on the pump... no hidden fees, no membership charges and no surprises. I was in and out in less than 3 minutes.
90% of my driving is within the cars range and start every morning with an 80% charge. My primary issue was range anxiety and charging on long toad trips. Turned out to be a non-issue. I found that I shouldn’t have believed everything I thought about EVs……..only after personal experience. :) I’m not trying to sell you and LillyMay on EVs, but only stating there is a lot of misconception out there. The EVElio would be the ultimate “&” vehicle, supplement to the family I.C.E..

Top Bottom