• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Potholes

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been noticing a lot more potholes lately and most of them are when I'm driving 40+ mph so there's not a lot of time to correct. Without wildly swerving, I have about enough time to adjust to the point where I just drive right over the top of it and put it between my wheels.

Same scenario, but in an Elio, this has me genuinely curious how we're gonna handle these, because a lot of the time, it's not as simple as just "not hitting it." Most of the time they come up out of nowhere and you've got about 1.5 seconds or less to adjust (without getting crazy and swerving like hell) so that pretty much guarantees the rear wheel is gonna be in for some big bumps. Though probably better the rear rather than the front wheels. Those look more prone to damage.

Jim G

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
another option is to go with a fatter, more durable rear tire. depending on where you live, the condition of the roads traveled most regularly and one's anticipated use of the Elio, this will be a significant issue for some, but not for others. I'm in central Florida where potholes are not a big problem, but for someone living in the greater NYC or Cleveland/Cincinnati metropolitan areas (where family members reside), it would be a serious concern. If the company management is smart -- and I trust that it is -- I would expect the Elio sales locations in those, and similarly situated locations, would have recommended rear tire options available for purchase by their customers.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
another option is to go with a fatter, more durable rear tire. depending on where you live, the condition of the roads traveled most regularly and one's anticipated use of the Elio, this will be a significant issue for some, but not for others. I'm in central Florida where potholes are not a big problem, but for someone living in the greater NYC or Cleveland/Cincinnati metropolitan areas (where family members reside), it would be a serious concern. If the company management is smart -- and I trust that it is -- I would expect the Elio sales locations in those, and similarly situated locations, would have recommended rear tire options available for purchase by their customers.
I'm afraid that a larger rear tire will increase understeer, and upset the handling. I think our only real option will be diligence.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm afraid that a larger rear tire will increase understeer, and upset the handling. I think our only real option will be diligence.

with Rousch Racing in charge of the suspension, I'm inclined to take whatever the stock tires and other suspension components they recommend

Top Bottom