• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Power To Weight Comparison

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was curious how the Elio's power to weight ratio stacks up against other small cars, so I found specs on several cars and got the following numbers. I'm assuming the Elio is 55HP and 1200lb curb weight. All are base models/engines.

Tata Nano (world's cheapest car): .0285 HP/lb...snip...:)
Actually the Nano and the Elio have something in common, the number three. The Elio has three wheels and the Nano has three lug nuts per wheel.

Well maybe they they don't have that much in common........

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Torque is a "component" of HP, so ~~ If you multiply torque (in pound-feet) by engine speed (in RPM) and divide the product by 5,252 you get the HP :)

If I got this right (and I'm pretty sure your formula is right), the Elio would produce maximum torque at 5,252 RPM. Someone asked that question earlier.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Torque is a "component" of HP, so ~~ If you multiply torque (in pound-feet) by engine speed (in RPM) and divide the product by 5,252 you get the HP :)
If I got this right (and I'm pretty sure your formula is right), the Elio would produce maximum torque at 5,252 RPM. Someone asked that question earlier.
Units of Shaft Power
When using pound-feet as units of torque, revolutions per minute (RPM) for rotational speed, and horsepower for power, shaft power can be expressed with the following formula:

Shaft power in horsepower.

The above power formula is often misinterpreted as showing that power and torque are the same thing, or that they somehow trade hands with each other at 5252RPM. This mistake is from the fact that a graph of torque in pound-feet and power in horsepower versus engine RPM has crossing lines at 5252RPM. Torque and power play the same role whether an engine is revving below, at, or above 5252RPM. Many diesel engines, and even some gas engines, are not even capable of revving that high at all.

5252RPM is not a significant point in a physical sense. It is merely the RPM at which a graph of torque in pound-feetand power in horsepower would cross when drawn on the same piece of paper. If different units were used, the curves would cross at a different point, yet the principles of operation would remain unchanged.

In the torque/power graph above, the maximum torque is well before the 5252.11 RPM. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

david prettenhofer

Reaction score
Just to add one more car to the list, that might be compared from experience. My Ford Aspire was quite driveable through about 60 mph. Above that it was a screaming dog.

Tata Nano (world's cheapest car): .0285 HP/lb
Ford Aspire: .0315
Chevy Spark: .0370
Smart Fortwo: .0387
Nissan Versa Note: .0452
Elio: .0458
Toyota Corolla: .0471
Ford Fiesta: .0473
Chrysler PT Cruiser (my current car, for reference): .0480
Honda Civic: .0515
Toyota Camry (midsize, for reference): .0558
Chevy Corvette (performance car, for reference): .1336

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
....much snipage...Many diesel engines, and even some gas engines, are not even capable of revving that high at all....more snipage...
Given max MPG is the goal I seriously doubt it will rev that high and there won't be anything you can do about it without changing the cam.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Given max MPG is the goal I seriously doubt it will rev that high and there won't be anything you can do about it without changing the cam.
Dustoff said:
….much snipage…Many diesel engines, and even some gas engines, are not even capable of revving that high at all....more snipage...
Not my words, cut and paste from a scientific journal.

The only thing I posted that I personally typed was not the above reference of diesel and gas engines.
It was:
"In the torque/power graph above, the maximum torque is well before the 5252.11 RPM."

"If different units were used, the curves would cross at a different point, yet the principles of operation would remain unchanged."

It is a generic graph. When you have the numbers for the Elio, plug them in.

No sniping, facts.

My sole purpose was to show a graph of torque.
Please reread the post.

Top Bottom