• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Push-start Safe?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are thinking torque converter. The catalytic converter is the emissions reducer in the exhaust path that has a fragile platinum honeycomb in it. Since cars require them and new motorcycles are coming with them, I bet the Elio does too.
OMG! You are correct! I can't believe I just made that dumb mistake!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ordinary push starting a car would not sent an excessive plug of fuel thru the engine. It should be just like regular starting, except that the engine is turned by the wheels instead of the starter motor. Mechanically the engine doesn't care what starts it turning. Of course, if there is not enough battery power to power the spark plugs, all the pushing in the world won't start it and unburnt fuel will be sent thru the exhaust.
It will if you push it fast enough to create enough spark to start the engine. I know. I've done it in an Audi Fox without a battery even installed. Started that sucker right up. Well, it took a couple of friends pushing...

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Luckily, the Elio AMT won't have a catalytic converter. It's basically a manual transmission with Electronics working the clutch.

EDIT: I was thinking "Torque Converter" and not catalytic converter... I'm leaving the original text above because it's about the only proof I have that I'm not perfect. :rolleyes:;):p
Nice recovery Ty

Reactions: Ty

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
It will if you push it fast enough to create enough spark to start the engine. I know. I've done it in an Audi Fox without a battery even installed. Started that sucker right up. Well, it took a couple of friends pushing...
What's going to power the fuel injection in the Elio?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What's going to power the fuel injection in the Elio?
The alternator. I know some of them won't get started without having a field generated first but the Audi was a '74 and it sure worked okay. I have to admit the last car I push started was a Z01 Vette.. I think I have the number right. It was very rare and the guy (my buddy) only drove it a couple of times till he put a tarp on the floor, parked it as close to the wall as he could, and never moved it again till he moved from Minot, ND. Anyway, THAT car just had a bad starter. It was a stick shift but my buddy had never even heard of push starting a car. The headlights came on bright but the starter just didn't do anything. Luckily, it fired up the first time because it was a small, snowy/icy parking lot. I told him once it started, he needed to push the clutch back in so he wouldn't hit my truck. He did but didn't hit the brakes. I really thought he was going to hit my truck but he didn't. Other than the Audi, I think all the cars I push started had at least a little battery left. The Audi, of course, had a carburetor.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The alternator. I know some of them won't get started without having a field generated first but the Audi was a '74 and it sure worked okay. I have to admit the last car I push started was a Z01 Vette.. I think I have the number right. It was very rare and the guy (my buddy) only drove it a couple of times till he put a tarp on the floor, parked it as close to the wall as he could, and never moved it again till he moved from Minot, ND. Anyway, THAT car just had a bad starter. It was a stick shift but my buddy had never even heard of push starting a car. The headlights came on bright but the starter just didn't do anything. Luckily, it fired up the first time because it was a small, snowy/icy parking lot. I told him once it started, he needed to push the clutch back in so he wouldn't hit my truck. He did but didn't hit the brakes. I really thought he was going to hit my truck but he didn't. Other than the Audi, I think all the cars I push started had at least a little battery left. The Audi, of course, had a carburetor.
I agree; why are people so concerned about push starting an Elio? I just don't see the need to know; unless they're someone that has a habit of killing the battery by having the headlights and radio (stereo) on without running it.
I doubt if my Elio will ever have a problem of a dead battery, or a starter failing. It's a NEW car, not a 15 year old POS that needs a new battery.
Yes I know too that there always is the "what if in the middle of nowhere" chance; but the odds of that happening are pretty slim.
Drive it and enjoy it.
Don't sweat the petty stuff & Don't pet the sweaty stuff. :becky:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree; why are people so concerned about push starting an Elio? I just don't see the need to know; unless they're someone that has a habit of killing the battery by having the headlights and radio (stereo) on without running it.
I doubt if my Elio will ever have a problem of a dead battery, or a starter failing. It's a NEW car, not a 15 year old POS that needs a new battery.
Yes I know too that there always is the "what if in the middle of nowhere" chance; but the odds of that happening are pretty slim.
Drive it and enjoy it.
Don't sweat the petty stuff & Don't pet the sweaty stuff. :becky:
LOL. Nice last quote. We trailered an almost brand new Honda Odyssee van to Montana... on the way, we had a problem with the truck (the only transmission problem I've ever had) and needed to get the van off the trailer in the middle of nowhere. Apparently, you CAN leave the interior light on in those vans and it stays on and kills the battery. Luckily, between my very long set of thick jumper cables and a set she had, I could just daisy chain them to barely reach from the truck to the van and we got it started... We were a little extra lucky in that the side door was the only access to the van and it was electric. It had just enough juice left to pop the door open about 1/2 inch and I was able to get my fingers in there and pry it open. In other luck, the truck died right near the top of a hill and we had JUST entered Cell range. (December 30th) It was cold out. USAA and the Police got involved and everyone was concerned about the kids "Do you have someplace warm for the kids?" The truck was running, I was able to get to the side of the road but the trailer was aimed at the road so the van had to be unloaded into "traffic". We survived.

I know it's rare and probably won't come up for 99% of people... probably not even at all. It's the human thing to ask "What if?" and that can get ridiculous, as you observed.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I was up late last night and flipping through the channels I happened on to the answer to a dead battery.
In this infomercial; the sales dude started 7 cars in a row that had the batteries removed!
Worked like a charm (of course) and he showed that it had power left over.
All for only $119.19 + S&H
https://www.amazon.com/MiniMax-2991...e=UTF8&qid=1472751188&sr=1-1&keywords=minimax

Check it out!! It's about the size of a pocket book.

Top Bottom