• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Putting The Fun Back In Motoring

AlamoElio

Reaction score
Greetings from Alamo City, just ordered my $1000 t’shirt and bumper sticker (all-in). I had heard of the Elio a while back, but didn't think it had a chance of making it to the marketplace. After hearing about it again in the mainstream media last week and researching it extensively including reading 100's of threads here and elioclub.org, like most others I feel that Paul has the vision and determination to see this to mass production. I do have a few concerns, but I am getting more confident each day that there is sufficient backing and enthusiasm behind this to overcome those hurdles.

Growing up in a third-world county, I was tinkering on cars before I was 10. My first car was an almost 45+ year old 1949 Fiat Topolino which my parents help me buy in high-school. Spending at least a part of each weekend repairing something on it was the norm (a new head-gasket every 2 months was about right). Fast forward 2 decades, and while I do most of the routine maintenance on my car and my wife’s car, there’s not much else I can do (or have the desire to, really). This forum gives me the sense that there’s a good few us looking to get into this almost as a ‘grassroots’ type of project – just on a larger scale. The Elio is obviously a game-changer and will be considered as a ‘disruptive product’ by big oil and big auto alike if it catches on. But for me personally, the Elio is a game-changer taking motoring back to an era where it was just flat out fun and something to get excited about.

I fully expect the first year (or even first few years) of production to have more than its fair share of issues and at $6,800, it’s a project/hobby/toy to me and a chance to spend some time with my 10 year old son tinkering on it. But my big fear it that there will be a large percentage of those that expect it to be perfect from day one and give it a bad rap that will hinder the low-margin/high-volume model EM is banking on. But with the type of enthusiasm seen on the forums, I hope it’s enough to overcome and pull-through those perceptions should they occur. I really want this to succeed. I want motoring to be FUN again.

Curious who else shares some of the same sentiments?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome AE! Elio is taking the time to make it perfect.......or near perfect! Simple design & proven technology. I predict you and your 10 year old son won't be tinkering with repairs........only adding fun aftermarket options to personalize your Elio........oh and fun father son road trips........until he gets his own Elio.

seeker

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'm not completely sold on the Elio yet, but I admire the vision they're putting out there. If it makes it to production and their claims of 84 mpg (or anything close) and 5 star crash ratings (I'd settle for 4) are proven, I'll order at least one of them for my commute and at that price I wouldn't even have to finance it. I work in manufacturing so I know there's a lot of things that can't be controlled when you're bringing a new product to market. Elio seems to be making the right moves and I'm actually glad they seem to be taking a cautious approach as they head towards production.

I do agree with you that the Elio has the chance to be a game changer in the automotive industry. Until then, I have a '95 Suzuki Swift project to play around with.

Last edited:

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Fun plus an "in your face" to those cynics who are slaves to their own limited thinking. That pretty much says it for me. I'm just not in yet. As a survivor from the financial collapse of 2000 and 2007 I have learned and earned the rights to certain caution. I'm kinda like the poor confederate prisoners made to march out from of Sherman's troops on his advance into Ga. Sorry for those who have no idea of either of my points here. Now that I think about it.........Plunking down 1K is a piece of cake compared to what I've been threw financially. I just think a little longer than most before leaping. LOL If I could sees just a whisper of activity in Shreveport I'd probable start plunking.

Oh and welcome AlamoElio. Davy Crockett is one of my heroes.

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I do understand exactly what you mean...and also fear that there will be some people that will expect too much from a 7k car and give it a bad rap.

I also want this as a fun form of transportation...and as a biker the small size does not scare me. That is what draws it to me.

I was thinking about how the buyer for the Elio is going to be such a diverse group which may not be a good thin in the long run.

Gearheads will be more forgiving of first year problems whereas the prudent buyers will expect the world and criticize any shortcomings...thisnis my gut feeling.

I mean, I buy a car because I like the color...some are buying a color for visibility. Really?! Such passion! Lol

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings from Alamo City, just ordered my $1000 t’shirt and bumper sticker (all-in). I had heard of the Elio a while back, but didn't think it had a chance of making it to the marketplace. After hearing about it again in the mainstream media last week and researching it extensively including reading 100's of threads here and elioclub.org, like most others I feel that Paul has the vision and determination to see this to mass production. I do have a few concerns, but I am getting more confident each day that there is sufficient backing and enthusiasm behind this to overcome those hurdles.

Growing up in a third-world county, I was tinkering on cars before I was 10. My first car was an almost 45+ year old 1949 Fiat Topolino which my parents help me buy in high-school. Spending at least a part of each weekend repairing something on it was the norm (a new head-gasket every 2 months was about right). Fast forward 2 decades, and while I do most of the routine maintenance on my car and my wife’s car, there’s not much else I can do (or have the desire to, really). This forum gives me the sense that there’s a good few us looking to get into this almost as a ‘grassroots’ type of project – just on a larger scale. The Elio is obviously a game-changer and will be considered as a ‘disruptive product’ by big oil and big auto alike if it catches on. But for me personally, the Elio is a game-changer taking motoring back to an era where it was just flat out fun and something to get excited about.

I fully expect the first year (or even first few years) of production to have more than its fair share of issues and at $6,800, it’s a project/hobby/toy to me and a chance to spend some time with my 10 year old son tinkering on it. But my big fear it that there will be a large percentage of those that expect it to be perfect from day one and give it a bad rap that will hinder the low-margin/high-volume model EM is banking on. But with the type of enthusiasm seen on the forums, I hope it’s enough to overcome and pull-through those perceptions should they occur. I really want this to succeed. I want motoring to be FUN again.

Welcome :)

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score

VERY interesting story and history; WELCOME to our Elio Family Forum, AlamoElio. Love your enthusiasm and hope that it will rub off on some of us; (even I could use some of that from time to time, as my impatience tends to float up and out when things get real slow.) o_O

And congratulations on your All -In reservation. Looking forward to reading more posts from you as we move along!

Thanks!

AlamoElio

Reaction score
I'm kinda like the poor confederate prisoners made to march out from of Sherman's troops on his advance into Ga. Sorry for those who have no idea of either of my points here.

I admit, I had to look that one up on Wikipedia :) Totally get your point though, I am super-cautious about even the smallest purchasing decision and I spent about 5 days researching this one. In the end, I felt if I lost $1,000, I could live with it knowing the upside was I'd be part of the early adopters of something that's revolutionary. I'd prefer to take your stance and wait a bit longer, but the enthusiasm got the better of me.

and also fear that there will be some people that will expect too much from a 7k car and give it a bad rap.

And to those that wanted a solid, recall and issue free product, I would say go pay 3-5 times as much and buy a GM - oh wait...

Last edited:

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fun plus an "in your face" to those cynics who are slaves to their own limited thinking. That pretty much says it for me. I'm just not in yet. As a survivor from the financial collapse of 2000 and 2007 I have learned and earned the rights to certain caution. I'm kinda like the poor confederate prisoners made to march out from of Sherman's troops on his advance into Ga. Sorry for those who have no idea of either of my points here. Now that I think about it.........Plunking down 1K is a piece of cake compared to what I've been threw financially. I just think a little longer than most before leaping. LOL If I could sees just a whisper of activity in Shreveport I'd probable start plunking.

Oh and welcome AlamoElio. Davy Crockett is one of my heroes.
Good afternoon, "Folks."

Though I am all in now, I can see and do understand your point about waiting a little longer before "leaping." Bet that there are a lot of little frogs out there on the highways today, wishing that THEY had maybe waitied a little longer before they too, leaped. :eek:

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I admit, I had to look that one up on Wikipedia :) Totally get your point though, I am super-cautious about even the smallest purchasing decision and I spent about 5 days researching this one. In the end, I felt if I lost $1,000, I could live with it knowing the upside was I'd be part of the early adopters of something that's revolutionary. I'd prefer to take your stance and wait a bit longer, but the enthusiasm got the better of me.

And to those that wanted a solid, recall and issue free product, I would say go pay 3-5 times as much and buy a GM - oh wait...

I'm like you AE ... not an impulse buyer, at all. I'm enjoying the ride so far, hope you do too.

Top Bottom