• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Question To Motorcycle Riders?

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
let me ask a question abut laying it down as you guys say. what mistakes would i be making to lay it down so easy. Im talking if there isnt another car involved. Do the wrecks happen mostly when i turn or will i lay it down just driving in a straight line going 45 mph with my inexperience.
i could always ride wearing this: http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=4598
There's tons of ways to lay a bike down that aren't even crashes.
Arriving at an intersection and putting your foot on ice/gravel/pothole.
Once a few hundred pounds of bike starts falling over, it's going to go over - though that's less of an issue with something this size.

As far as bike size, what i've found in my experience is that small bikes and scooters are great fun for running around town. It's light enough to maneuver around and have a blast. This has enough power for the kind of riding you're describing, the MSF course is actually taught with similar sized engines. What you will not get on a bike this size is any real carrying capacity. I had a similar problem on my 650 V-Star... I got saddle bags, but I couldn't even really fit a textbook. That can really take some practicality away when you're running around town.

Nitro

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's tons of ways to lay a bike down that aren't even crashes.
Arriving at an intersection and putting your foot on ice/gravel/pothole.
Once a few hundred pounds of bike starts falling over, it's going to go over - though that's less of an issue with something this size

As far as bike size, what i've found in my experience is that small bikes and scooters are great fun for running around town. It's light enough to maneuver around and have a blast. This has enough power for the kind of riding you're describing, the MSF course is actually taught with similar sized engines. What you will not get on a bike this size is any real carrying capacity. I had a similar problem on my 650 V-Star... I got saddle bags, but I couldn't even really fit a textbook. That can really take some practicality away when you're running around town.
+1!!!

When I droped my first bike (650 v-star aswell Classic fenders highway bars and "leather like" hard bags) I had just pulled out of the garage and put my food down on a wet spot from rain the night befor and the next thing I knew both me and the bike where on are sides. At this point I need to mention that if I did not have my helmet on I would most likely not be typing this. When I realized what had happened I got out from underneath my bike and look at the concrete garden border that my helmet just smacked the damage to my bike. Some scuffed paint and a broken tail light was the only damage that bike ever received in the 12 years that I owned it but I can't tell you how many "close calls" I have had due other drivers.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I also had a couple instances where I was unable to stop in time to avoid something, but the worst I've got is a semi-messed up right thumb.

With my long commute, bikes are usually impractical - so I sold mine when I got the kit car that I also never drive for similar reasons.
That little Honda does look like fun though - especially given that I'm 5'4" so the small size is less of a drawback.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
50 some years ago I took a heavy Western Flyer bicycle frame and made my first mountain bike .... back then I don't believe that the concept of teaching folks how to ride a motorcycle as part of the license process had even been envisioned .... in fact, no special license or endorsement was required .... it was powered by a McCulloch chainsaw engine .... never did try to put a tag on it but did get it our on the road once in a while .... I rode it mostly over mountain trails in the Smoky Mountains where we lived .... my first store bought bike was a Honda CB160 and to me it was a real machine .... the times I've been to Vegas the traffic was heavy but compared to somewhere like Atlanta it was pretty relaxed .... knowing what I know now, I don't think I'd want to start out driving a bike in a big city without a good bit of experience of country driving .... hopefully whatever you choose will serve you well, just be safe

Jim

evboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
can you guys clarify something. The members that said dont lay the bike down. Does that mean just slam on the brakes and crash into whatever is in front of you and hope for the best. Why is that any better than laying it down before you hit something. Either way you are hitting the concrete. I'm confused??

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You have some degree of control as long as you are on the bike. Once you are sliding down the road you are an unguided missile. If you ride well enough, there is always the chance of you getting out of the situation unscathed, except for needing a change of underwear.

I've been riding a very long time, and though I have a lot of experience (150k+ miles) I know many people who can out-ride me. Still, I've only hit the pavement once when ice on a corner took me out. The point is to develop your skills to the point that you never need to "lay 'er down".

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
can you guys clarify something. The members that said dont lay the bike down. Does that mean just slam on the brakes and crash into whatever is in front of you and hope for the best. Why is that any better than laying it down before you hit something. Either way you are hitting the concrete. I'm confused??

much depends on the situation .... laying one down is usually an instantaneous decision .... the 2 lane mountain road between Cherokee, NC and Gatlinburg, TN can really be fun to ride on a bike .... one time I was the lead bike and went around sharp turn only to meet a *#^>&@< tourist passing another car .... to my right was rock bank, to my left was a rock wall guarding a big drop off, the bike was already leaning to make the turn and I had two choices .... lay the bike down and get off or hit one of the oncoming cars head on .... I got off .... the bike went one way, I tumbled the other way, the cars passed between us .... the driver being passed stopped, the *#^>&@< tourist didn't .... my bike was still running and I caught him on the outskirts of Cherokee where we had an intense discussion .... my helmet didn't have a scratch on it but my outfit was messed up, it took the crystal off my watch and left the hands :eek: and I was sore for several days .... as others have noted, please take time to learn how to ride and to do so in a safe manner

Jim

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Chances are when the time comes you will not have much choice in how you go down. Public roads are not like a race track. many rides manage to stay up with glancing blows to large animals like deer. going over small ones most often does not end in a crash if you just don't panic. Leaving the roadway most often is the worst thing that you can do. Small items car parts wood ect most often you are best to roll over it..
45 years + riding 2 million miles on two wheels. I do not support helmets LAWS but if you don't wear one good luck.
Deer 60 mph dead center. Not the right way to go deer hunting.
deerhunt10800x600-1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom