• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Question To Motorcycle Riders?

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Laying a bike down. Taking it intentionally from up right to it's side into a slide and getting off it is not easy. Now if you have already lost rear traction and the back is sliding around you can try and control the slide a bit a separate from the bike. Another seriously dangerous part of laying a bike down in high siding, you go into a slide but the bike digs in, it don't take much. Then the bike tries to stand back up and rolls then you are in for a real bad day.
Number one way to avoid hitting anything on a bike is speed. Often even the speed limit may not be the correct speed. The slower your are moving the more time you have to react and the softer the collision will be

SeattleVet

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Judicious use of the throttle and steering will get you out of a lot more situations than 'laying it down'. In the MSF class you'll learn (the very basics) of avoidance maneuvers. Remember that *every* ride should be a learning experience...when you leave in the morning try to remember to decide to practice a specific task or maneuver that day. It might be an avoidance maneuver around every manhole cover; or to try to make the entire trip at the right speed so that you don't have to put my feet down (timing lights, etc.); or maintain a specific distance or speed for a predetermined amount of time. The more you ride, the better you get, but never get complacent - that will come back to bite you in the rear. Every once in a while try to get out into a sparely populated parking lot and do maneuvers that you don't get a chance to do on the street too often...you're developing 'muscle memory' so that when you *need* to do a quick roll-on-the-throttle-and-lean you'll know that your bike and tires are a LOT more capable than you think they are, and it will carry you through avoiding some pretty hairy situations. No matter how long you've been riding, or how many miles you've got under your butt, you can still learn something.

The last time my bike was down was my own darn fault...a few years ago we were riding back from Malibu to Seattle and we pulled off into a rest area. I saw some other bikes at the far end, so I signaled my wife to follow me there. When I pulled up and stopped, the bottom of the leathers I was wearing then got caught in my shifter as I went to put my foot down. By the time I realized what was happening I had no speed and too much motorcycle leaning too far over to keep from falling over. What I *should* have done was to add some throttle to get moving around the parking lot while I got my leg free, or so I could stop again and lean a little the other way to get my other leg down first to stabilize the bike.

Good luck!

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
  • Take the saftey course. ..
  • It gets you money off your insurance rate.
  • Its not how fast you go that makes a good rider...its how fast you can stop.
Harlan,
You hit the nail on the head with, 'Its not how fast you go that makes a good rider...its how fast you can stop'.
I have been trying to formulate a responce to Evboy's question about laying a bike down, since he firsted posted that question. It has always seemed to me that when you hear Anyone say, after a wreck, that 'Yep!! I Had To Lay It Down', it was a Lame Excuse for their lack of attention, riding above their ability, and not being Aware.

Anyone can learn how to ride but how many new riders learn how to Stop. Most, easily learn how to use the throttle but how many new riders Really learn how to use the Brakes properly. As about 70% of the braking comes from the front wheel, if the brakes are used properly, if is Amazing how quickly a bike can come to a stop.
A co-employee, (not a friend, he was a complete AH), had 2 'I had to Lay it Down' events in about 2/3 years time.
He survived with 2 totaled bikes but still walking. I flat told him he did not have the right mind set to be a safe rider and that he should Quit riding. He did and we're still not friends.
A motorcycle stops Much Quicker when the rubber is on the road than Steel!!!! And it Hurts a Lot Less!!

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm 5'10" 205 pounds. Live in Vegas, so when it rains 3 times a year, i will make sure and not ride. Im afraid of a bigger bike when it comes to handling. This thing looks like it can handle well. They say newbies should always start small, and work their way up until they get comfortable./QUOTE]

Small yes, mini no. Find yourself a good 250, like a Rebel if you like Honda (I'm with you there), you will not find it overwhelming in power and the size will better fit you.

Top Bottom