• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Questions About Composite Body

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With all the buzz about wraps I think paint is on it's way out- The Elio is your blank canvas yet to be a work of art.
Not without major improvements in longevity or cost. Wraps only last a few years and ruin the paint (or primer) underneath. It's also not cheap to wrap a vehicle. So either it has to last the life of the car or is has to be 1/10 what it costs now.

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not without major improvements in longevity or cost. Wraps only last a few years and ruin the paint (or primer) underneath. It's also not cheap to wrap a vehicle. So either it has to last the life of the car or is has to be 1/10 what it costs now.

I haven't looked into wraps that far. Why does it ruin the paint underneath? I just assumed its kind of like tinting your own windows except for all the curves and heat that's needed to get around them. Just guessed there would be a sticky residue that you would have to get off with mineral spirits or something. Enlighten me please!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If the body is composite panels the color would be molded in and not "painted" no? Theoretically one could switch panels with another Elio and have any combination of colors. With all the buzz about wraps I think paint is on it's way out- The Elio is your blank canvas yet to be a work of art.

They are using a different type of composite material which needs to be painted as any coloring in the panel would be very muted and automotive paint quality.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Why are the wheel skirts black. If they paint the car, why would it cost much more to finish the complete job. I'm confused??

As others have said this has less to do with cost and more to do with styling. Color matched panels or even color contrasting panels will be available as an option.

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I haven't looked into wraps that far. Why does it ruin the paint underneath? I just assumed its kind of like tinting your own windows except for all the curves and heat that's needed to get around them. Just guessed there would be a sticky residue that you would have to get off with mineral spirits or something. Enlighten me please!

I did a quick search and answered my own question. I'm sure all companies are different but here is what this one says about its wraps.
http://www.sunrisesigns.com/our-blog/bid/42147/Taking-It-All-Off-Are-Vehicle-Wraps-Removable

trock59

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True, wraps are pricey unless you agree to being a rolling ad- I meant to compare molded in colors vs painted body panels.

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Usually (depending on the weather temp) within 30 days you can pull vinyl off of a car. After the sun works on it a couple weeks it gets harder and sticks to the paint better. A heat gun can be used but leaves the glue on the car. An eraser tool is best.
This will remove the vinyl and not hurt the paint in most cases. I said most cases. You always seem to have a spot or two in most cases.
mbxvinylremover.gif

Top Bottom