• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Questions About Composite Body

Eliometer

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey All,
So I've no experience with owning a vehicle made with composite. If someone hits me, will it dent like metal or will it crack? Can it shatter? Can composite be fixed at Joe Blow's Body Shop and will it be costly?
Will a repair compromise future safety? Will a repair negatively impact the interior sound-deadening qualities of the panels? Thanks, everyone, for your time.

dunkybones

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are good questions, I don't really know the answers. I know some of the big auto companies are starting to use the same composite on their vehicles. My old insight was some sort of composite for most of the body panels, but I never had to repair it. I would think most body shops are used to dealing with a range of materials by now. As for price, all body work is expensive, and for good reason, good body work is an art unto itself.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey All,
So I've no experience with owning a vehicle made with composite. If someone hits me, will it dent like metal or will it crack? Can it shatter? Can composite be fixed at Joe Blow's Body Shop and will it be costly?
Will a repair compromise future safety? Will a repair negatively impact the interior sound-deadening qualities of the panels? Thanks, everyone, for your time.
Great questions and I don't have a clue and it never even occurred to me to even ask that question. Looking forward to someone answering it for both of us.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey All,
I have heard or read discussions on this subject somewhere. I'm sure Paul Elio has discussed it in at least one of his interviews but I honestly don't remember where. I understand it is similar to the composites used in corvettes or one of those fancy cars. I look forward to reading the answers to your questions. :-) Z

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

Elf

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I own a 2008 Corvette and it's mainly composite ,my wife backed into it with my company car .2 for 1 deal..The rear composite bumper on the Ford went back into shape left in the sun and didn't show a scratch .The Corvette was as fortunate but the rear came back into shape but the rear quarter cracked .$350 repair .Composite won't dent it'll break or crack like plastic .Replacement parts are generally cheaper than steel but paint is always expensive .. when ya hit a moose or a Kenworth it's going to hurt .

Top Bottom