• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Questions About Composite Body

vtx04

Elio Fan
Reaction score
This topic is one that just crossed my mind yesterday, when I ran over a ladder at 70 mph on the highway, coming home from work. Since I was in my truck, I simply ran over it. (unavoidable) Luckily no tire or body damage. Then I started thinking about some of the other stuff I've hit on our highways...a weed wacker, box of clothing, and a large Igloo cooler, not to mention all the rubber alligators. (exploded tires) Boy, you should see what a wild horse can do to an suv when they cross paths. I started pondering what sort of damage I would have done to the Elio's fenders and radiator cowling. With no bumpers or other protection up front, maybe I should stockpile fenders, or get the P3's "open" fenders. I understand why insurance policies offer free windshield replacement out here. Maybe my insurance company won't like me when I start replacing body panels on my Elio.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You have to be careful with shops that repair bumpers with a little heat. While it will pop out minor dents, the polyurethane structure behind that plastic skin is usually crushed. There goes your crush zone. The next blow will be transmitted directly to the frame.

The trick here is that most airbags today are triggered by small accelerometers, usually somewhere behind the dash and designed to initiate the airbags at some pre-determined rate of deceleration. Those crush zones are figured into that rate, preventing the firing sequence to be triggered by minor bumps - but with the foam beneath the bumper's outer skin already crushed, a minor bump can be interpreted as a pretty solid bang. Then you get to replace a good part of the interior of your car, as the airbags rip it apart for you.

I wouldn't have thought of that unless a friend managed to bump a stump with the "bull bar" on his pickup. Mounted directly to the frame, the bar transmitted a fairly heavy shock to the sensors and ripped up his interior (to the tune of about $3K) after a blow that didn't scratch the chrome.:(

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes , plasticized resin most likely.
I once owned a Fiero made of this stuff. As indicated, there is some UV fade and embrittlement. It will rip and crack under the right circumstances, but for most day to day use it is very resilient. I have never run across a body shop that would repair my Fiero, only replace the entire panels. I suppose you can repair it yourself, but as previously stated, a resin bonding agent from the backside of the panel.
The poor Fiero ended up as a flaming torch , like most of them I suppose. The plastic burns extremely well...

Eliometer

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
So in the event of a bang-up, what kind of questions would I ask my local body shop in order to determine if they can properly fix it? And how will I know if the crush zone has been affected? If it has, what can I do about it?

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes , plasticized resin most likely.
I once owned a Fiero made of this stuff. As indicated, there is some UV fade and embrittlement. It will rip and crack under the right circumstances, but for most day to day use it is very resilient. I have never run across a body shop that would repair my Fiero, only replace the entire panels. I suppose you can repair it yourself, but as previously stated, a resin bonding agent from the backside of the panel.
The poor Fiero ended up as a flaming torch , like most of them I suppose. The plastic burns extremely well...

We are talking about technology that's over 30 years old, hardly none of which will be used on the Elio. I'm sure thing have changed for the better since then. Found this during some research.

I was going through some of my old files last night and ran across this information that might be of some use to you guys that are working on Pontiac Fiero's or are using them as a base for kit cars or wide body kits. GM in their infinite wisdom at the time just referred to the Fiero as being made of Enduraflex plastic. That was pretty much just a marketing thing because this is what was really going on....

Enduraflex Body Panels
General Information
Noticed the use of the term "Enduraflex" in some recent thread. As was noted by another list member, this term was a marketing term only, there is no material such as "Enduraflex". Actually 4 different varieties of reinforced composite plastic made up the Fiero's body panels.

SMC
Sheet Molded Compound makes up the hood, roof, rear upper quarter, and rear decklid.

RRIM
Reinforced Reaction Injection Molding make up fenders, door panels, and lower rear quarters. (the rear lowers were later changed to injection molded nylon)

RIM
Reaction Injection Molded Urethane is used for the facia.

TPO
Therm o Plastic Ole fin is used for the rocker panels.
As a side note, the 84 engine cover grill is magnesium!

All Fiero panels are painted with high solids acrylic enamels, and covered with a clear coat.

Just thought this might help some of you that have been misled on what resins, fillers, etc. to use on what parts.

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10231

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This topic is one that just crossed my mind yesterday, when I ran over a ladder at 70 mph on the highway, coming home from work. Since I was in my truck, I simply ran over it. (unavoidable) Luckily no tire or body damage. Then I started thinking about some of the other stuff I've hit on our highways...a weed wacker, box of clothing, and a large Igloo cooler, not to mention all the rubber alligators. (exploded tires) Boy, you should see what a wild horse can do to an suv when they cross paths. I started pondering what sort of damage I would have done to the Elio's fenders and radiator cowling. With no bumpers or other protection up front, maybe I should stockpile fenders, or get the P3's "open" fenders. I understand why insurance policies offer free windshield replacement out here. Maybe my insurance company won't like me when I start replacing body panels on my Elio.
Maybe my insurance company won't like me when I start replacing body panels on my Elio.
The whole body cost EM under $300.00. Probably won't hit your deductible. Matching the paint will be the kicker. JMO

Last edited:
Top Bottom