• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Questions About Composite Body

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
These are good questions, I don't really know the answers. I know some of the big auto companies are starting to use the same composite on their vehicles. My old insight was some sort of composite for most of the body panels, but I never had to repair it. I would think most body shops are used to dealing with a range of materials by now. As for price, all body work is expensive, and for good reason, good body work is an art unto itself.
I don't pretend to know about the projected pricing structure for parts, but I would think that on a $7K vehicle the body panels can't cost THAT much. I would imagine that buying a panel off the shelf, already in your color, and bolting it on would be a pretty cheap, easy, and complete repair.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't pretend to know about the projected pricing structure for parts, but I would think that on a $7K vehicle the body panels can't cost THAT much. I would imagine that buying a panel off the shelf, already in your color, and bolting it on would be a pretty cheap, easy, and complete repair.
The whole body runs EM under $300.00.:)

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If it is composite, this will be a great benefit in terms of rust. Less metal, less rust.

In the rust belt, you will see all kinds of older cars rusted out....then you see a 1997 saturn with no rust. Why not go composite? Also I know it won't be Carbon Fiber, but the formula 1s use that on their cars. It makes a crash look more dramatic, but all the composite material breaking takes away some of the force of the collision.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup, no more $4k for replacing your front bumper and headlights or $1k to take the ding out of your trunk. Heck, might be worth getting a factory option of duplicate body panels for all areas at time of purchase.
I would like to think that too...........but individual Elio parts will no doubt be much more expensive and shop hourly labor to repair/or replace isn't less because we drive Elio's.

Partnering doesn't mean more affordable either because of Flat Rate Manual Repairs. Only if Elio is in control of after the sale........parts and servicing strategy. Does the Elio Store plan to offer the availability of all Elio factory parts or just after market options............or will it be Pep Boys, which seems most likely, then Pep Boys becomes the 'dealership' for parts and service. Perhaps an Elio Blog Question.

Dino3721

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Hey All,
So I've no experience with owning a vehicle made with composite. If someone hits me, will it dent like metal or will it crack? Can it shatter? Can composite be fixed at Joe Blow's Body Shop and will it be costly?
Will a repair compromise future safety? Will a repair negatively impact the interior sound-deadening qualities of the panels? Thanks, everyone, for your time.
It will crack, but safety is about the same. I had a couple Saturn's and loved the plastic body. It is tough, dent resistant- and in the midwest- it does not rust!.

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to think that too...........but individual Elio parts will no doubt be much more expensive and shop hourly labor to repair/or replace isn't less because we drive Elio's.

Partnering doesn't mean more affordable either because of Flat Rate Manual Repairs. Only if Elio is in control of after the sale........parts and servicing strategy. Does the Elio Store plan to offer the availability of all Elio factory parts or just after market options............or will it be Pep Boys, which seems most likely, then Pep Boys becomes the 'dealership' for parts and service. Perhaps an Elio Blog Question.

Actually much of the labor cost for modern repair is in in the fitting, paint, and prep, which elio has stated that they hope to eliminate by selling the replacement panels already finished in standard elio colors. The shop will remove the damaged panels, straighten/repair the tube frame, then prep the attachment areas for glue, and affix the replacement panels. No tying up a paint booth or painter, though the adhesive may require a little training if it's a quality epoxy. Other than that the tube frame is very similar to a race chassis and I'm sure repair will follow similar protocols where frame damage is involved.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually much of the labor cost for modern repair is in in the fitting, paint, and prep, which elio has stated that they hope to eliminate by selling the replacement panels already finished in standard elio colors. The shop will remove the damaged panels, straighten/repair the tube frame, then prep the attachment areas for glue, and affix the replacement panels. No tying up a paint booth or painter, though the adhesive may require a little training if it's a quality epoxy. Other than that the tube frame is very similar to a race chassis and I'm sure repair will follow similar protocols where frame damage is involved.

The adhesive is probably a two-part epoxy. "Fusor" is used for a lot of panel placement. It looks like a large double-barrel syringe. As it is squeezed out it goes thru a mixer nozzle, so no mixing is required. As for body shop labor, they are allowed a "fixed" amount of time (by the insurance adjusters) for each specific repair & each specific vehicle. So the ELIO should still be pretty cheap to repair.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score

In Columbus I was told parts will be at Pep Boys. Possibly they could be other places as well.
All so was told, the front nose piece will run $50 +-.

Last edited:
Top Bottom