• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Questions About Composite Body

Andy Shoup

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Checked my notes from Columbus. Hard to read.
One note says: No paint vats. I think I remember him saying the cars will not be painted.
Next time someone goes to an event, please confirm.
I asked Mr Vasallo this question in Portland. I asked if the SMC was solid color or if it would be painted.....he stated they will be painted

lnwlf40

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Any additional information about the material planned to be used for the body and wheel skirts? If molded plastic/composite, what type do you think? ABS?
I am starting to pre-pre-plan my custom paint job. We pretty much know the dimensions, so all I need to know is the body material to start talking with my auto-body friends.

Last edited by a moderator:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Any additional information about the material planned to be used for the body and wheel skirts? If molded plastic/composite, what type do you think? ABS?
I am starting to pre-pre-plan my custom paint job. We pretty much know the dimensions, so all I need to know is the body material to start talking with my auto-body friends.

The body is fiberglass reinforced SMC and is actually very similar to what is used in modern Corvettes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_moulding_compound

Last edited by a moderator:

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the panels can be repaired however it is faster and cheaper to just replace the panels.

Wow. This is proof that all questions get answered eventually. I asked this question on August 9. :)

Goofyone, that right rear panel won't be cheap--it's a big one. Well, maybe. I don't know how expensive SMC is.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. This is proof that all questions get answered eventually. I asked this question on August 9. :)

Goofyone, that right rear panel won't be cheap--it's a big one. Well, maybe. I don't know how expensive SMC is.

I only noticed the question today so i answered it. :)

Elio Motors has told us the entire body and floorpan only costs them about $260. They also do plan on making replacement panels as this is a good source of income down the line. Even if they sell that one large replacement panel for $250 they will be making plenty of money and it still will be cheap to just replace it instead of hassling with a repair.

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if my local body shop will be able to purchase these in the appropriate color, should some butthead run into me. And they have to bend out the roll cage and replace panels. Or will Pep Boys be in charge of body work and accident repair?
MK

Last edited:
Top Bottom