• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Quick Poll. Yes, Another Poll. This One About Transmissions.

Will you be buying a manual or automatic?

• Total voters

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Really? I didn't know that.
I certainly don't recommend it(hard on the transmission), and some newer cars have lockouts on neutral that prevent it, but I did once confirm that it works mythbuster's style when my '74 Bronco's starter gave up the ghost many miles into a desolate logging road after a lunch break on a trail ride.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Almost 80%... In Car and Driver, they were talking about some great sports car (corvette, I think). I already tossed the issue. It was last month or two. Anyway, whatever car their were talking about sold fewer than like 20 manuals which really surprised me. I guess the automatics with the double clutch super flux capacitor paddle shift option is actually a pretty quick deallywho. I can't see rowing through the gears in an Elio would really add much to the experience as I'm betting most of us would be trying to get the most mileage which means gentle shifts anyway.

Inability to drive a manual is almost uniquely an American cultural thing. The rest of the world gets by just fine. After all, manuals tend to get 20% better fuel economy in the real world. I drive a manual and I'm able to snack and drink and shift just fine. It ain't rocket surgery, as they say.

I voted for "whichever gets the best mpg" though.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Inability to drive a manual is almost uniquely an American cultural thing. The rest of the world gets by just fine. After all, manuals tend to get 20% better fuel economy in the real world. I drive a manual and I'm able to snack and drink and shift just fine. It ain't rocket surgery, as they say.

I voted for "whichever gets the best mpg" though.
Hi Snick and welcome from southern Oregon. I hope you enjoy the forum. We are a very diverse and interesting group of Elio addicts. I voted for automatic because at 72 years young and after decades of driving standard, my knees now swell and ache after driving standard. I believe if you read other threads on here you will find that getting better mpg with manual transmission is no longer accurate. Enjoy your exploration of the forum. We have an excellent staff in addition to the diverse membership. :-) Z

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome Zelio. Ashland, Grants Pass, or parts elsewhere?

I'm a Portland escapee, myself. Left the dreary clouds and rain behind and wondered why it took me half a lifetime!

I'm keeping an open mind. If the automatics or AMT's get better FE in the *real world* and not on paper, then I'll gladly get one. It's been my experience through the years, and even lately that they don't. The computers that decide when/how to shift are optimized to do well on the FE certification test cycles, and, in my opinion, can never be as good as a human being. Humans are just that much better at predictive stuff - we have more information available to us.

As an aside, I am a huge believer that computers vastly outperform humans at reactive stuff - such as Electronic Stability Control. No human can recalculate or pump the brakes as fast as a computer.

These are just my opinions and experiences. YMMV as they say :)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome Zelio. Ashland, Grants Pass, or parts elsewhere?

I'm a Portland escapee, myself. Left the dreary clouds and rain behind and wondered why it took me half a lifetime!

I'm keeping an open mind. If the automatics or AMT's get better FE in the *real world* and not on paper, then I'll gladly get one. It's been my experience through the years, and even lately that they don't. The computers that decide when/how to shift are optimized to do well on the FE certification test cycles, and, in my opinion, can never be as good as a human being. Humans are just that much better at predictive stuff - we have more information available to us.

As an aside, I am a huge believer that computers vastly outperform humans at reactive stuff - such as Electronic Stability Control. No human can recalculate or pump the brakes as fast as a computer.

These are just my opinions and experiences. YMMV as they say :)
Not that far south. I live in Sutherlin. Retired here in 2009 site unseen. I think we have some of the best weather in the state. I know people who love Portland but I get claustrophobia there and hate driving in the traffic. Plus you are right about the weather. In fact that dreariness tends to go as far as Eugene and then by the time you get to Cottage Grove it is improving. But you usually don't get sunshine until you are almost to Sutherlin. I would have a rough time in Sonoran dessert as I don't tolerate high temps at all. Unfortunately I have the same problem with very low temps so it is a good thing I live where I do. LOL :-) Z

1TallTXn

Elio Fan
Reaction score
All the info we have says the automatic will be a manual. Except for the feeling of control there won't be any difference.
An auto with "manual" modes?
The cars I'm referencing have the old-tech transmissions. It's possible that Elio/Iav have gotten one of the quite-good newer tech autos that are on-par, both performance and economy-wise, with manuals. In some cases ahead.
Sadly, most of that tech is relegated to cars much more expensive than the Elio will be. It's a nice dream that it'll be an awesome auto, but the price tag indicates that's not likely.

Top Bottom