• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Quick Poll. Yes, Another Poll. This One About Transmissions.

Will you be buying a manual or automatic?

• Total voters

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
An auto with "manual" modes?
The cars I'm referencing have the old-tech transmissions. It's possible that Elio/Iav have gotten one of the quite-good newer tech autos that are on-par, both performance and economy-wise, with manuals. In some cases ahead.
Sadly, most of that tech is relegated to cars much more expensive than the Elio will be. It's a nice dream that it'll be an awesome auto, but the price tag indicates that's not likely.
We don't know if you will be able to shift it manually, however an automated manual makes all kinds of sense. If they went with an auto they'd have to developed a whole new trans, mounts,frame members and it would complicate the assembly line so the automated manual makes all kinds of economic sense.

1TallTXn

Elio Fan
Reaction score
We don't know if you will be able to shift it manually, however an automated manual makes all kinds of sense. If they went with an auto they'd have to developed a whole new trans, mounts,frame members and it would complicate the assembly line so the automated manual makes all kinds of economic sense.
To my knowledge, there are very few automated manuals out there. If I remember correctly, BMW did it first by putting solenoids on a Tremec T56 in either the M3 or M5. in the early 2000's.
VW/Audi are using multi-clutch "manuals" and delivering them with only two pedals. However these are very expensive units. For a similar setup on a Honda motorcycle, the price tag goes up $1000. I'm not sure the additional cost on the VW/Audi. I'll see what I can find on this.

Due to costs, my suspicion is that the engine/trans/front suspension are all being borrowed from another currently-in-production vehicle (probably not US-market) so the Engine and trans will be a known commodity. and will likely not require any different mounts as they're already destined for the same chassis.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To my knowledge, there are very few automated manuals out there. If I remember correctly, BMW did it first by putting solenoids on a Tremec T56 in either the M3 or M5. in the early 2000's.
VW/Audi are using multi-clutch "manuals" and delivering them with only two pedals. However these are very expensive units. For a similar setup on a Honda motorcycle, the price tag goes up $1000. I'm not sure the additional cost on the VW/Audi. I'll see what I can find on this.

Due to costs, my suspicion is that the engine/trans/front suspension are all being borrowed from another currently-in-production vehicle (probably not US-market) so the Engine and trans will be a known commodity. and will likely not require any different mounts as they're already destined for the same chassis.
That's pretty much contrary to what people have heard EM employees say.

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Close but, the earlier automated manual that BMW developed(in 1997) is a Getrag based box(SMG-I) as are the later SMG(II and III) transmissions though they are dual clutch getrag transmissions that are used in many different high end models.

The DSG that VAG is currently selling is a fork of Porsche's PDK development that has been going on since the 80's.

You are quite correct though that both of these options are far too expensive for the elio.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There might be one difference... the cost.

The automatic option might push some folks toward the choice of a manual.
What's an acceptable cost for automatic? $300? $500? $1000?
Your guess is as good as the next there are conflicting reports. Some times I think their PR/sales staff don't know any more than we do.

1TallTXn

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Your guess is as good as the next there are conflicting reports. Some times I think their PR/sales staff don't know any more than we do.
The nice lady I chatted with over the weekend at EarthDayTx (I think it was P3 that was there. silver?) knew general info, but very little in the way of details.

rmcelroy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I havn't read every post in this thread (ADD). If I am reading correctly my 07 Mazda 3 4speed is a manumatic transmission. It will go into M mode and let me select gears. I have driven manual transmissions most of my life, but now appreciate the manumatic transmission. I don't plan on attacking the road with an Elio, like I did in the past with sports cars.

Overlook spelling issues, I have two excuses, a band aid on my index finger and smell check.

PS. Certain models of CVT transmissions may be a joke. The concept however is not. From what I have read they are used a great deal in industry, and F1 racing has banned them because a highly funded team with them would dominate the sport. That surprised me!

Last edited:
Top Bottom