• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Rear Tire Change

jlhog

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Just wondering what it takes to change the rear tire if needed? Most times a can of fix a flat would work.But what if you had a major blowout on the road? I assume there will not be a spare tire in the Elio.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I assume there will not be a spare tire in the Elio.

good assumption .... not having a spare has been discussed often and some creative ways of mounting a spare have been purposed .... unfortunately, until folks get there hands on an Elio, all we have is theory .... my plan is to make sure my road service plan will cover it but with a nonstandard size tire, there may be issues

Jim

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No spare it is time to make a call to someone. Either for a tow or someone who can bring you a tire.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Honestly, if past experience is an indication, this is an area that I don't expect too much trouble from. Since 1999, I've put a heck of a lot of miles driving between home (northern Illinois) and St. Louis, Cape Girardeau and Paducah for work with both the Miata and the Fit, and there have been zero flats in all those miles. OTOH, I'd say that I've worn out (I think) three sets of tires...

Lack of a spare doesn't worry me excessively, there would be a fix-a-flat kit, and I've got a cell phone and road service. :-)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The rear skirt is made for easy removal and once removed, the tire will be easy enough to change. The Elio will not come with a spare so on the odd chance you blow it out on the highway, you'll have to play fetch.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
IMO. This is a not issue. Not saying it can't happen. Call up the owners of the below list of cars and ask them what they did when they got a flat.:)

http://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/vehicles-without-a-spare-tire_aug_20131.pdf

one thing that the vast majority of the vehicles on the list have in common is :

"Spare tire optional, run-flat tires or inflator/sealant kit provided when not equipped with a spare"

we know that run-flat tires seem to be out of the question so I wonder if an inflator/sealant kit will come as a standard item on an Elio ? ..... I also wonder if the inflator/sealant kit is a can of Fix-a-Flat ?

Jim

evboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just wondering what it takes to change the rear tire if needed? Most times a can of fix a flat would work.But what if you had a major blowout on the road? I assume there will not be a spare tire in the Elio.
Simple answer. If you get a blowout, take the tire off the elio and then call Uber on your smartphone and bring the tire to the nearest place that does tires. Call Uber again and go back to your Elio and put the new tire back on.

Top Bottom