• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Rear Tire Change

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've come into this discussion late and perhaps someone has already pointed this out.....the Elio rear wheel MAY be more prone to flats than other vehicle tires might. Don't forget that the rear wheel is tracking in a mostly unused part of the pavement. It's rolling on the 'dark strip' that forms on many highways and well traveled streets. Motorcycles tend to stay to one side of the exact center of a lane and standard vehicles straddle it. Debris settles in the central part of each lane posing a possible increase in likelihood that you may, in fact, have a higher expectation of a flat....just sayin'
There is another tire thread that covers this. One comment I remember and agree with, is that there rarely is trash in the middle of a lane. At least that is what I have observed. It is far more likely to be close to the outside of the lanes with the exception of tire remains from large trucks and they can be just about anywhere on the road. :-) Z

OctoberGlory

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've come into this discussion late and perhaps someone has already pointed this out.....the Elio rear wheel MAY be more prone to flats than other vehicle tires might. Don't forget that the rear wheel is tracking in a mostly unused part of the pavement. It's rolling on the 'dark strip' that forms on many highways and well traveled streets. Motorcycles tend to stay to one side of the exact center of a lane and standard vehicles straddle it. Debris settles in the central part of each lane posing a possible increase in likelihood that you may, in fact, have a higher expectation of a flat....just sayin'

I liked your reasoning, but as Zelio pointed out debris in the center of the lane appears to be minimal. Most debris is off to the side of the road where tires and wind have blown it. I recall reading once that rear tires have a far higher incidence of flats. The reasoning was the front tire hits the debris that's flat on the road surface and flips it up so when the rear tire hits it the puncture occurs. I can't find any statistics, but the logic is sound. Also, I'd bet the right rear gets more punctures than the left as debris works it way to the edge of the road. If that is indeed true then perhaps the rear tire on the Elio will have a lower probability of punctures since there is no front tire directly in front of it.

Regardless, it is an interesting topic and next time I take my car in for a tire rotation I'll be sure to ask their opinions of the subject.

Last edited:

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here in UK that could now cost you a fine of £2000 and three points on your licence per faulty tire. 12 points and you get a driving ban. At least on an Elio, with only three wheels, you could only get 9 points at once. They don't count the spare unless you fit it.
A sensible approach to auto safety! Of course, at that time in my life I wasn't particularly sensible all the time, but if I had that sort of penalty breathing down my neck I might have seen the light!

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually, my wife picked up a rusty-ass bolt in her front-right about two weeks ago going over some train tracks. Luckily she was only a few blocks from home, and was able to turn around and make back to the house before it went completely flat. Tires were new in March. And for all the people that say they haven't had a flat in 'forever', between Murphy's Law and Karma (i.e. - don't talk sh*t playing pool, until AFTER you've made your shot.), I'm reserving comment. :D
My wife's cousin picked up a bolt in her rear tire too but it sort of self sealed. She didn't know it was there until I pointed it out to her! It stood just proud of the tire tread and made a racket as she drove down the street,

Top Bottom