• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Rear Tire Change

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
By the way, I've never had a blow out and in my younger years I drove my tires WELL BEYOND replacement time (no $$) and never saw a blow out. The odds are stacked well in your favor, especially with today's technology and all. Doesn't mean it won't happen, just that it's not likely to.

Actually, my wife picked up a rusty-ass bolt in her front-right about two weeks ago going over some train tracks. Luckily she was only a few blocks from home, and was able to turn around and make back to the house before it went completely flat. Tires were new in March. And for all the people that say they haven't had a flat in 'forever', between Murphy's Law and Karma (i.e. - don't talk sh*t playing pool, until AFTER you've made your shot.), I'm reserving comment. :D

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Edward,good insurance for an "overnight flat", but if you get a flat away from home you will still have a problem to deal with.
As far as I'm concerned, anything except a proper replacement tire or professional repair is only a temporary fix to get you on your way.

I don't like "run-flat" tires, for reasons of cost and a hard ride, but for the last eighteen months, due to ongoing roadworks on the greater part of my drive to work (on the M1 motorway), even having to stop the car is a serious emergency. There is presently no hard shoulder with three lanes of solid traffic for most of the day, on a 17 mile stretch. There's a concrete wall on one side (central barrier) and a steel and concrete barrier on the nearside, put there to protect the workers. All you can do is quickly get out and climb over the nearside barrier, leaving your car to its fate until the cameras spot you and a traffic patrol vehicle gets to you and shuts the lane so the vehicle can be recovered.

Drove the M1 once, once was enough. :eek:
Actually drove from Edinburgh to London A1 to M1 in February snow. Beautiful but a bit scarey, with traffic and all the rest of it.;)

zenbiker

Reaction score
Since Pep Boys is deemed to be the designated service center, I would assume that they would use a readily available tire size if a catastrophic disaster destroyed the back tire. Another question would be if the current list of auto clubs and service programs recognize the Elio or would you need to get a specialty programs that includes motorcycles especially if the need to tow occurred.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
By the way, I've never had a blow out and in my younger years I drove my tires WELL BEYOND replacement time (no $$) and never saw a blow out. The odds are stacked well in your favor, especially with today's technology and all. Doesn't mean it won't happen, just that it's not likely to.

Here in UK that could now cost you a fine of £2000 and three points on your licence per faulty tire. 12 points and you get a driving ban. At least on an Elio, with only three wheels, you could only get 9 points at once. They don't count the spare unless you fit it.

DaveM

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I've come into this discussion late and perhaps someone has already pointed this out.....the Elio rear wheel MAY be more prone to flats than other vehicle tires might. Don't forget that the rear wheel is tracking in a mostly unused part of the pavement. It's rolling on the 'dark strip' that forms on many highways and well traveled streets. Motorcycles tend to stay to one side of the exact center of a lane and standard vehicles straddle it. Debris settles in the central part of each lane posing a possible increase in likelihood that you may, in fact, have a higher expectation of a flat....just sayin'

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since Pep Boys is deemed to be the designated service center, I would assume that they would use a readily available tire size if a catastrophic disaster destroyed the back tire. Another question would be if the current list of auto clubs and service programs recognize the Elio or would you need to get a specialty programs that includes motorcycles especially if the need to tow occurred.
Hi and welcome from Oregon, zenbiker. I suspect this is one of those wait and see issues. Until there is an Elio they can't make a decision. The only time my Camry was "towed" it was pulled up onto a flatbed tow truck. The starter had gone bad and I guess they couldn't do a regular tow because it was parked in my carport and therefore facing the wrong direction. I assume the same method can be used with an Elio. :-) Z

Top Bottom