• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Rear Tire Mount

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No concern. Look at the amount of beef in that swingarm...now compare that to the front spindles.

I agree, from what I've seen, careful attention has been given to weight distribution/transfer, roll centers and moments by EM. That rear swingarm will easily handle the demands put on it. Remember we're talking 1500lbs EVW, and more than 2/3's of that centered over the front. Not to worry. Besides, I will relish having that single arm when it comes time to fixing a flat.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree, from what I've seen, careful attention has been given to weight distribution/transfer, roll centers and moments by EM. That rear swingarm will easily handle the demands put on it. Remember we're talking 1500lbs EVW, and more that 2/3's of that centered over the front. Not to worry. Besides, I will relish having that single arm when it comes time to fixing a flat.
Good point about changing a tire. Elio has said (I can't remember where) that they were planning a "near perfect weight distribution across the 3 tires" 1/3, 1/3, 1/3... That would mean that each tire is supporting just about 500 pounds (including driver and gas... Well, a light driver). My motorcycle weighs in at about 1200 pounds with driver. which is 600 pounds per tire. You know, just for reference.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Good point about changing a tire. Elio has said (I can't remember where) that they were planning a "near perfect weight distribution across the 3 tires" 1/3, 1/3, 1/3... That would mean that each tire is supporting just about 500 pounds (including driver and gas... Well, a light driver). My motorcycle weighs in at about 1200 pounds with driver. which is 600 pounds per tire. You know, just for reference.

Yes the Elio is actually nose heavy when empty, I believe it is about 70% towards the front, however it is engineered so when there is a 200 lb driver and a full load of fuel it will be equally balanced across all three tires. This is some very nice engineering that should keep the vehicle well within safe controllable limits even when you have a lighter or heavier load such as a second 220 lb person in the back as they have stated that the vehicle is being designed to carry two 220 lb 6'1" people.

does anyone have a picture of the way the rear tire is attached to the frame .... the pictures I've seen all have fender skirts (for lack of a better term) that make it impossible to see the rear suspension

Jim

This is another nice view showing how everything is fit together. This is the latest P4 without its skin or interior.

[Broken External Image]

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like a rear blowout is going to be a pain to change?
Lol yuuup.

I'd also prefer a dual swing arm... however that will just make a tire change worse than it already is. I am imaging that the gray fender 'skirt' can be removed from the left side and it can be accessed that way. I assume that's the reason for the gray covers on the front and back.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol yuuup.

I'd also prefer a dual swing arm... however that will just make a tire change worse than it already is. I am imaging that the gray fender 'skirt' can be removed from the left side and it can be accessed that way. I assume that's the reason for the gray covers on the front and back.
Confirmed, at the event they said the cover will be hinged for this very purpose.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lol yuuup.

For the front two, the fenders lift right off fairly simple. There are 4 internally wrenching allen bolts that you can see in several of the pictures taken from the rear of the car. The fenders have those tubes which fit down over pipes and they use the allen bolts to hold them in place. Slick. But, I wonder how that rear comes apart... AND, how painful will it be to check rear tire pressure. The fronts shouldn't be too tricky if they put the valve stems to the inside.

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes the Elio is actually nose heavy when empty, I believe it is about 70% towards the front, however it is engineered so when there is a 200 lb driver and a full load of fuel it will be equally balanced across all three tires. This is some very nice engineering that should keep the vehicle well within safe controllable limits even when you have a lighter or heavier load such as a second 220 lb person in the back as they have stated that the vehicle is being designed to carry two 220 lb 6'1" people.

This is another nice view showing how everything is fit together. This is the latest P4 without its skin or interior.

[Broken External Image]
Where did you guys get all of these cool pics, I have hunted & hunted with no luck. Maybe it's my 66 year old computer skills.
I promise to dance at your barmitzfa if you'll clue me in to the location to find them. I want to start a scrapbook to show to all
of the doubting Thomas friends I have.
Dusty

"Dude, where's my car?"

Top Bottom