• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Rear Tire Mount

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like a rear blowout is going to be a pain to change?

Not really with the low weight it will not be an issue. As others have brought up my Touring bike is 1000LBS without me or any gear loaded.
The Elio will stay stable when you jack up the rear

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes the Elio is actually nose heavy when empty, I believe it is about 70% towards the front, however it is engineered so when there is a 200 lb driver and a full load of fuel it will be equally balanced across all three tires. This is some very nice engineering that should keep the vehicle well within safe controllable limits even when you have a lighter or heavier load such as a second 220 lb person in the back as they have stated that the vehicle is being designed to carry two 220 lb 6'1" people.

This is another nice view showing how everything is fit together. This is the latest P4 without its skin or interior.

[Broken External Image]
Looks like a lot of extra/wasted space in the nose. Wonder Why... areo perhaps?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of extra/wasted space in the nose. Wonder Why... areo perhaps?
Aero could play a factor however my guess would be this is primarily for safety. The engineers likely needed a bit more crumple zone to effectively dissipate the energy from an frontal impact.

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Aero could play a factor however my guess would be this is primarily for safety. The engineers likely needed a bit more crumple zone to effectively dissipate the energy from an frontal impact.

G1,
Paul Elio has spoken about the crumple zones before in different interviews and you are correct. There are actually 3 "crumple zones" and that is why the nose is longer... I'm tentatively planning on installing my dual electric air horns somewhere in that "wasted" space...

http://www.technologytell.com/in-ca...-elio-motors-plans-84-mpg-car-priced-at-6800/ This interview in 2013 covers this, weight distribution and a bit of performance humor by P.E... Good read!

Its a well designed little ride, I'm thinkin' :cool:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
G1,
Paul Elio has spoken about the crumple zones before in different interviews and you are correct. There are actually 3 "crumple zones" and that is why the nose is longer... I'm tentatively planning on installing my dual electric air horns somewhere in that "wasted" space...

http://www.technologytell.com/in-ca...-elio-motors-plans-84-mpg-car-priced-at-6800/ This interview in 2013 covers this, weight distribution and a bit of performance humor by P.E... Good read!

Thanks, I don't believe I have read that article yet. Of course I had heard about most of those details elsewhere however the three stage crumple zone was a new bit of information to me. :)

The amount of engineering that has gone into this vehicle, both to keep costs low and to make it a useful and safe vehicle, just never fails to amaze me. These are the kinds of behind the scenes details that unfortunately just take a good bit of time to design and evaluate between generations of chassis design however most people just will never understand just how much engineering work has really gone into this vehicle.:cool:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
G1,

I thought I had read everything about Elio but this one didn't get in there. Good coverage and interesting read. Thank you so much for posting. :-) Z

Top Bottom