• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Rear Wheel Alignment?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did a cursory search on the forum, and didn't seem to find an answer. If this was covered, and I just missed it, apologies in advance.:)

The rear suspension looks very similar to my Porsche's, except my Porsche's rear suspension has a means to adjust the rear wheel alignment. I was checking out the best picture I could find of the Elio's rear wheel, and can't see that there's adjustment, just a swing arm with what appears to be welded mounts...hard to tell. Just curious if anyone got a real good look at it. This might be a good question for Jerome when you Georgia guy/gals see it next week at the airshow. I could see how smacking some potholes might tweak the rear wheel swing arm, and it would be nice if there was a way to get it realigned so you're tracking straight.

Anyone know about this part of the Elio?

elio rear suspension.jpg

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did a cursory search on the forum, and didn't seem to find an answer. If this was covered, and I just missed it, apologies in advance.:)

The rear suspension looks very similar to my Porsche's, except my Porsche's rear suspension has a means to adjust the rear wheel alignment. I was checking out the best picture I could find of the Elio's rear wheel, and can't see that there's adjustment, just a swing arm with what appears to be welded mounts...hard to tell. Just curious if anyone got a real good look at it. This might be a good question for Jerome when you Georgia guy/gals see it next week at the airshow. I could see how smacking some potholes might tweak the rear wheel swing arm, and it would be nice if there was a way to get it realigned so you're tracking straight.

Anyone know about this part of the Elio?

View attachment 3057

That looks really "beefy". They could probably make it stronger, but at what cost? I'm not referring to the cost of building it stronger. There needs to be a "weak link" designed in. The weak link (as I see it) should be the wheel, so the wheel should be weaker than the swing arm. Then the swing arm should be weaker than the frame. Much less costly to replace the swing arm, than to repair frame damage. :)

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep, looks pretty beefy. And I get what you're saying about having a "weak link" in the suspension. I was wondering if the pivot points at the frame are cammed (off-centered mounting bolt in a bushing), that would allow adjustment along the center axis, yaw for lack of a better term (brain malfunctioning today), of the wheel. Porsche accomplished this by having oversized holes at the outer pivot mount where it attaches to the chassis, non-adjustable on the inner mount, which allows the swing arm to pivot on the inner mount, adjusting the toe-in/toe-out of the wheel assembly. I'd rather have to make adjustments to the rear wheel after an unfortunate collision with a pothole, than bend the swing arm, or worse yet, the frame. That would make the adjustment point the "weak link" I suppose.

porsche 914 rear suspension.jpg

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One of the questions I have is the type of pivot bearings that are to be used. Rubber bushings are quiet but not very precise, brass or Delrin get really noisy with a little wear, and my personal favorite tapered roller bearings as used by most all modern motorcycles. Mount bolts with eccentric pins could provide adjustments for alignment. Also tapered shims can be used between hub bearing carrier and swingarm for alignment. Since the tires contact patch should be dead center alignment should be difficult to disturb unless you really hit something HARD.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
does anybody know if EM plans to have the frame welded by humans or by computer controlled robots .... if robots, I can see how the rear swingarm could consistently be mounted to where no adjustment would be needed

Jim

Top Bottom