• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Rear Wheel Alignment?

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It just dawned on me, and I'm gonna love saying it!

"Thrust alignment by trianglation"!!!!!

Measure from specific points at the front, to the rear outside edge of the rear tire. If it's 124.5 inches from the left side, then it needs to be 124.5 inches on the right.

"Gee Ma, I just might use some of the geometry math yet!!"

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually a plum bob and a lazer. I had to do extensive front end work on my old Caddy. Bought a toy lazer at General Dollar and with a 2x4, T square and a plum bob was able to rough it enough to drive. It actually drove fine, even the steering wheel was straight. After taking it to an alignment shop was told it was so close to spec that no adjustments were needed. So yes it can be down with very rudimentary equipment.

MajorXx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I agree that the vehicle should be in alignment. Assuming it is that way when it comes from the factory, there is very little that should go wrong with this rear wheel design. Aside from a wreck or very severe stress capable of bending the frame or swing arm there are only two points to consider. One is the pivot for the swing arm and the other would be spindle for the rear wheel. These appear to be quite strong the photos.

The front wheels might be of more concern as there are several times as many parts that effect the alignment. The front wheels with these parts will be sticking out and exposed. This stuff will not be protected like the ones tucked inside the body of most conventional autos.

Have you ever noticed when someone in a parking lot and hits another cars bumper or scrapes the side. Image what can happen when they are striking one of these light weight front wheel assemblies.

I think we will need to be extra careful of how and where we park in order to minimize the possibility of damage.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agreed! I'm no longer in the automotive repair business, but still line my own vehicles! I spin the wheels by hand to get the best "average" or "true" straight. I use a level for the camber and castor and a I_________I shaped pipe and tape measure to set the toe.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jambe --- Camber is usually the culprit. Too much negative on the right or too much positive on the left will cause the car to pull left. Of course so will a low left tire or a dragging brake. Failure to lube the floater pins on the calipers can sometimes cause the caliper to bind and not fully release which cause the car to pull to one side as well as uneven pad wear.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm surely going to get corrected, but the first thing I'd check is my tire inflation. If that's all good, could be a toe out on the left wheel, or toe in on the right wheel. Also could be a brake dragging on the left wheel. Bert or one of the other automotive experts on the forum could probably be more help with your issue.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jambe --- Camber is usually the culprit. Too much negative on the right or too much positive on the left will cause the car to pull left. Of course so will a low left tire or a dragging brake. Failure to lube the floater pins on the calipers can sometimes cause the caliper to bind and not fully release which cause the car to pull to one side as well as uneven pad wear.

Dang! Beat me to it! :D

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
:)
It was pulling to the right too much so I took it to Pep Boys, told them why, and they worked on it. (A torch was used!) The result is it pulls slightly to the left now. I could have taken it back but decided against that/didn't get around to it. I have a bit more pressure in the left tire now so it is not too bad.

Top Bottom