• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Regional Fuel Prices

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lots of Telsa's showing up here in WV now. And you can't even buy them here due to dealers paying politicians to keep it illegal. But it isn't stopping them. They are buying across state lines and transferring them to West Virginia.

They look pretty nice TBH, and so far, seen only 'normal' driving from them. No crazy accelerations or at the gas stations laughing at us. Also haven't seen one on fire yet. I definitely think it's the way of the future.

Despite this, still going for the gas version of the Elio. On our Elio ride, I'm sure there will be a lot of snickers when I stop to fill up while the rest of you are hooking yours up to the power cables. Guess, I'll just drive around the area and explore some while you guys are charging up.
I’d like to be driving both a Tesla and an ICElio. :)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I was reading an article the other day, and they say New Car buying is still only 2% electric cars.
So out of every 100 cars that are sold only 2 are Electric.
It doesn't sound like much, and it isn't. So if your seeing Tesla's and other electrics, that's only 2% of all the cars that are being sold.
It's really amazing isn't it?
A lot of people are still gun-shy about going electric.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was reading an article the other day, and they say New Car buying is still only 2% electric cars.
So out of every 100 cars that are sold only 2 are Electric.
It doesn't sound like much, and it isn't. So if your seeing Tesla's and other electrics, that's only 2% of all the cars that are being sold.
It's really amazing isn't it?
And for a lot of people it just isn't practical. I find myself often driving 2-300 miles on a one day job. Electrics just don't work for some of us!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And for a lot of people it just isn't practical. I find myself often driving 2-300 miles on a one day job. Electrics just don't work for some of us!
Too many myths and misconceptions regarding EVs. Currently 5% (my research) and auto manufacturers are switching to EVs. The switch isn’t going to happen overnight……..estimated 50% by 2050. Range anxiety? I had it too, prior to buying my first EV 2 years ago. Didn’t change my long range road trips at all…….saves me time on fill ups and a lot of $. My first 1200 mile EV roadtrip experience: with my former 300 mile range (15 gal tank/20 mpg ) ICE vehicle, I would stop to pee, a fill up, and then have lunch or coffee at the adjacent restaurant. With my electric (300+- mile range) I stop to charge, plug it in, and while it’s charginghave lunch at the adjacent restaurant and monitor the charge on my cell phone and always enough charge to get to my next destination. If I drove that today my old ICE 60 gals of gas $240, my EV $60. Most of my driving is local area short trips ($10/month), but the EV is plugged in, charged to 80% in morning ready to roll. Topped to 100% when I plan a long road trip the next day. The most fun car I’ve owned in 60 years of driving. Some are missing out on the EV experience, but my motto is: drive what you like, like what you drive.

Last edited:

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I know I would have range anxiety. I had one motorcycle that didn't have a gas gauge, so every hundred miles I would fill up. I'm sure I used less than half of the supply, as the bike had a 4+ gallon tank and a reserve. It got about 52-55 mpg. Unfortunately my brain just wouldn't chill and as soon as I got about 100 more miles on the odometer, I'd start getting nervous and would have to stop and fill up.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I know I would have range anxiety. I had one motorcycle that didn't have a gas gauge, so every hundred miles I would fill up. I'm sure I used less than half of the supply, as the bike had a 4+ gallon tank and a reserve. It got about 52-55 mpg. Unfortunately my brain just wouldn't chill and as soon as I got about 100 more miles on the odometer, I'd start getting nervous and would have to stop and fill up.
I had range anxiety too, but found it to be a non-issue locally or on long destination trips. As or more convenient than stopping to fill the gas tank. I am constantly aware of the remaining % charge and available range when driving my EV. Most of my daily use driving is local and the day always starts with a fully charged car in my garage and ready to roll. My first car a ‘59 VW Bug, with no gas gauge, but rather a 1 gallon reserve tank lever. As I recall, 25 mpg, .now that was range anxiety! Although skeptical, I had interest enough to give it a try and happy I did. Note: Also, it’s the first new car I’ve owned, that has had zero service and maintenance issues, other than tire pressure and tire rotation in the 2 years I’ve owned it.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
@Rickb I used to drive this one stretch of highway (going from AZ to California) and there is a 61 mile stretch of road where there is NOTHING. There are signs ahead of time warning you of this fact. I would always stop at that LAST CHANCE gas station and top off, go to the rest room, check the oil and coolant, etc. I always had this fear about being stuck in traffic (accident or some other problem) and running out of gas because I had the A/C on. It was a stupid unjustified fear, but my brain would NEVER let me pass that Last Chance gas station and just continue on with 3/4 tank of fuel.
Of course nothing ever happened... and I just cruised on through that section of highway and into California.
I am envious of people who have conquered "range anxiety" with their electric vehicles.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
@Rickb I used to drive this one stretch of highway (going from AZ to California) and there is a 61 mile stretch of road where there is NOTHING. There are signs ahead of time warning you of this fact. I would always stop at that LAST CHANCE gas station and top off, go to the rest room, check the oil and coolant, etc. I always had this fear about being stuck in traffic (accident or some other problem) and running out of gas because I had the A/C on. It was a stupid unjustified fear, but my brain would NEVER let me pass that Last Chance gas station and just continue on with 3/4 tank of fuel.
Of course nothing ever happened... and I just cruised on through that section of highway and into California.
I am envious of people who have conquered "range anxiety" with their electric vehicles.
I would definitely stop at the Last Chance ‘Charging Station’ too…….and worry (needlessly) about making it to the next plug-in. There were a couple of times in what appeared to be the middle of nowhere, I was driving in that 5% charge remaining rang (30 miles) and wondered if we’d make it to the scheduled stop.….but always have. I hate to admit it, but I have run out of gas twice over 60 years of driving. Peace of mind is why I‘m a AAA Member. What I found interesting was the navigation Trip Planner plans the route and navigates us to the required charging stops along the way and tell us exactly how much we need to charge to get to our next destination point and never charge beyond 80% until we were staying that night leaving with a full charge in the morning.

Top Bottom