• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Replacing Your Totaled Elio

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I absolutely love EM's response. It's refreshing to hear a company respond, with a big "I don't know, we don't have any provisions for that situation." No bull, no politically correct answer. Love that honesty. Makes me feel more confident that Elio is coming and it's coming soon!

I wholeheartedly agree! And welcome Ternion to the group. I continue to be impressed with EM's honesty and openness. I am confident that they WILL address this question and meet the challenge in a fair way. IMO, providing the necessary "repair parts" and "replacement vehicles" (in a timely manor) is all a part of producing any vehicle. I certainly would not be resentful if I had to delay picking up my Elio by a few minutes, or even a few days. After all, It might be MY elio that gets "totaled" while sitting in a parking lot, or a tree falls on it, or...........

Last edited:

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The thought of totalling the E-car really hadn't crossed my mind, but if you've lived any amount of time you'll know anything is possible. Driving defensively will get you almost all the way home without any doubt but it's the idiot driver from a Major Slavic Nation (have you seen those videos?) that blasts through a red light, stop sign or on the wrong side of the road that'll ruin your day. So, I guess it's good to have an observation through a new set of eyes to help you consider a problem that wasn't even on the radar screen! Well done, you've successfully created an undercurrent of paranoia amongst the Elio faithful and a "palm slap" at Elio Central! Not a small accomplishment.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
O.K..........I may consider the idea of No Fault Elio replacement: If you are at fault for totalling your Elio it's to the back of the line.....shame on you. If your Elio is totalled at no fault of your own you can cut in line.
Not bad in theory, but has ANYONE ever been in an accident that they will admit is their fault? It's amazing how many drivers have a whole list of accidents on their record, but not a single one was ever their fault. So we'd need a court to rule on the culpability of the Elio owner, which creates a problem with cases of apportioned responsibility and such. What if one is ruled 50% at fault? do they go half-way back in line? Also, there is the question of what's "totaled"? If the car is smashed beyond repair, obviously, but what about when you just can't get parts yet? Either way, the insurance company will total it out andcut a check for THEIR idea of the vehicle's value, which likely won't even be enough to cover plane fare to go pick up a new one. Best answer to 'what if I total the vehicle?'......DON'T!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not bad in theory, but has ANYONE ever been in an accident that they will admit is their fault? It's amazing how many drivers have a whole list of accidents on their record, but not a single one was ever their fault. So we'd need a court to rule on the culpability of the Elio owner, which creates a problem with cases of apportioned responsibility and such. What if one is ruled 50% at fault? do they go half-way back in line? Also, there is the question of what's "totaled"? If the car is smashed beyond repair, obviously, but what about when you just can't get parts yet? Either way, the insurance company will total it out andcut a check for THEIR idea of the vehicle's value, which likely won't even be enough to cover plane fare to go pick up a new one. Best answer to 'what if I total the vehicle?'......DON'T!
To cut in in line in front of me to get a 'replacement' Elio you will need either goofyone's or a judges ruling on the no fault claim. Also, no 50% fault option.

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's likely they will just put you in the back of the line if you should total your new Elio

Top Bottom