• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Reservations: 65341 As Of 6/20/2017

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you know any more details ? I forgot.
The Fleet 100. Built in Shreveport ? Made of stamped steel by Elio ?
I wonder if they have started any "Stamping Simulations " yet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_metal_forming_simulation
I'm just the messenger here, I'm not making the rules up.
Will they be built in Shreveport? Yes, that was the plan.
Made of stamped steel, yes, but I don't know if they're going to do it, or what.
Have they started any "Stamping Simulations" yet, unknown; that is a question you'll have to ask them.

Booboo, I'm in the same boat you are, and we're all paddling in different directions right now, this is why we're not going anywhere.
I can't answer your questions any better, because I just don't have the answers.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can't build a fleet of cars unless you have a car to build. If I needed a fleet of 20 cars, I'd never take an Elio unless I knew it was properly tested and certified to meet some sort of federal standard. Just the liability of having an employee getting into an accident, hurt and then lawyering up on me would be way too much of a risk and unfair to my other employees. Think about it. If I hired you, put you in an Elio and you went driving around only to have the LF suspension collapse, then you crash into a pickup only to leave you paralyzed from the waist down. Would you just accept that because it was one for the team? The Elio team learned that they need to fix a suspension pickup point yet I as your employer, made you drive an experimental car. I know I could find insurance coverage to cover my business but the rates from Lloyds of London are cost prohibitive.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do you know any more details ? I forgot.
The Fleet 100. Built in Shreveport ? Made of stamped steel by Elio ?
I wonder if they have started any "Stamping Simulations " yet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_metal_forming_simulation
We know some of that. The first 23 (of which the number could obviously be changed - it isn't like RedDot needs to keep their model when they are done with it) are being built by hand in Michigan. We know they've made steel body panels already and are "soft tooled" in that aspect.

How long does it typically take to produce hard tooling?
We can get hard tooling completed within 16 weeks after receipt of order.

This is from http://www.advantagefabricatedmetals.com/metalstampingfaqs.html#q10

Even if the panels are stamped, it isn't necessary that Elio actually do the stamping. They could buy the body panels already stamped out. I know GM bought the Isuzu Hombre hoods from somewhere - Brazil, I believe. It's possible to outsource the stamping but not optimal. It's also possible they could outsource the engine if they needed. Elio shouldn't have to do any "stamping simulations". They've already had body panels stamped using the soft tooling so simulating something that was already done would be kind of silly.

We ALSO know they will build the 100 (if that order is still valid) at Shreveport.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope you realize that there probably needs to be at least 50 different stamps made to build the car. Add into that, their last E car (the black one) is not even close to being mass produced (I know I brought that up before but nobody seems to want to believe it). Then you need all of the molds to make all of those plastic parts (probably 300). That's the dash, door panel, interior panels, multitude of HVAC panels, exterior trim, all of the plastic panels and ductwork in the engine compartment. We haven't even got into seating and interior. That's more molded parts and stampings. We haven't even touched the suspension, plumbing or gas tank yet. Then there's glass, lighting, wiring harness, exhaust and insulation. Electronics package? I seriously doubt that Continental has made a final mold and casing for the oddball size tire for the front.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I could go on and on and on for things that need to be done for what they have released as an engineering car.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, and that all costs money. But the designs exist and can be supplied by different vendors in parallel. Some of the tooling used for the engineering vehicles may be modified or reused and the assembly line is already in place. There's no reason it can't be done on the order of the lead time of the longest part, given sufficient funds.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We know some of that. The first 23 (of which the number could obviously be changed - it isn't like RedDot needs to keep their model when they are done with it) are being built by hand in Michigan. We know they've made steel body panels already and are "soft tooled" in that aspect.

How long does it typically take to produce hard tooling?
We can get hard tooling completed within 16 weeks after receipt of order.

This is from http://www.advantagefabricatedmetals.com/metalstampingfaqs.html#q10

Even if the panels are stamped, it isn't necessary that Elio actually do the stamping. They could buy the body panels already stamped out. I know GM bought the Isuzu Hombre hoods from somewhere - Brazil, I believe. It's possible to outsource the stamping but not optimal. It's also possible they could outsource the engine if they needed. Elio shouldn't have to do any "stamping simulations". They've already had body panels stamped using the soft tooling so simulating something that was already done would be kind of silly.

We ALSO know they will build the 100 (if that order is still valid) at Shreveport.
I do not remember ever seeing any Elio metal body panels. I believe the latest, the E1C was composite, and the E1D an unknown ? Please correct me if I am mistaken.:confused:
https://www.eliomotors.com/elio-motors-shows-off-its-body-panels-elio-momentum/ From March 31, 2016
https://www.eliomotors.com/refinements-to-the-body-of-the-elio-elio-momentum-v67/ From August 18, 2016
No picture of the Elio made of steel body.

Last edited:
Top Bottom