• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Reservations: 65341 As Of 6/20/2017

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Monthly Numbers 2015 05.JPG

... and those are the current numbers.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
down a bit but still running about 150 a week .... hopefully when the tour gets back on track and we get some good news, things will pick back up a bit
As i see it, the only "good news" is funding secured. The tour is on track, and will, with the announcement of funds and production, be the darling of the automotive world.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
None of my local car dealers are selling 166 vehicles a week and they have an actual product to sell. It truly is a phELIOnomina.
EM is generating enough reservation money to pay salaries, cover everyday business expenses, and keep marketing the Elio on tour and at major events. It seriously is time to Start building and testing (prototypes) and stop dreaming. Time is so very short.
I don't know the weekly break-down of sales, but it's not the dealership, it's the manufacturer's sales that will count. i.e. EM showrooms(when on line) will
have to do a BIG number ( to stay in business)?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 5564

... and those are the current numbers.
Would seem like a great idea to pick a date (2 months from now-July 1) and announce that the incentives will be discontinued. Isn't that large spike from Aug 2014, with the end of the incentive scheduled for Sept 1? Also, by that time it might be realistic to dump the incentives, as reservations will really spike with the "FACT" it will be made.

Spyche Chaos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Isn't that precisely why Paul hired people who are experts at manufacturing and all that other stuff? Yes. Yes, it is. He has a plan and part of that plan is to bring in experts to handle the things he doesn't know about. Read up on the team he has assembled. It seems he is making the right decisions there.

Did you read up on Elio's latest hype on Dave Schembri being named to the board? Oh, wait- he's been on the board for years
Fair enough. I think it wise of Paul to hire people who know vehicle manufacturing, to leave engine design to professionals, Comau was picked to set up the factory, existing manufacturers are building all the parts. All Elio has to do is assemble the parts. Well, a couple other things too, but still, it's not like Elio has to learn how to stamp out body panels or make a door handle or hinge or windshield. Having walked the line many a time, I can tell you that at the GM plant, there weren't any difficult processes. Designing the vehicle, obtaining equipment, setting up the assembly line, arranging logistics, securing manufacturing partners, and finding a factory are the truly difficult tasks. It seems Paul has the right skill-set in his company to make all that happen.

What difference does any of that make, even if your assessments of their capabilities hold true?

They still don't have the money to make it all happen, even if they do have the know-how.

As for the GM plant, we'll see if they can hang on to it long enough to build anything.

eliothegreat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fair enough. I think it wise of Paul to hire people who know vehicle manufacturing, to leave engine design to professionals, Comau was picked to set up the factory, existing manufacturers are building all the parts. All Elio has to do is assemble the parts. Well, a couple other things too, but still, it's not like Elio has to learn how to stamp out body panels or make a door handle or hinge or windshield. Having walked the line many a time, I can tell you that at the GM plant, there weren't any difficult processes. Designing the vehicle, obtaining equipment, setting up the assembly line, arranging logistics, securing manufacturing partners, and finding a factory are the truly difficult tasks. It seems Paul has the right skill-set in his company to make all that happen.
It is my understanding that you worked at the Shreveport plant. Were engines built there during the time that you were there? Or ever, for that matter? As I understand it, Elio will/would have to build/weld/stamp their own frame. Do you have any indication that they are purchasing the frames pre-assembled? It was also my understanding that the SMC body panels would be build/stamped/molded at the plant from raw materials. Are you saying that they will be purchasing the body panels already formed? My understanding is that an engine line will require as much time, manpower, and equipment as the production lines for the entire rest of the vehicle. Am I incorrect in that understanding?

I was a big fan of the off-the-shelf parts & we-just-assemble-it mentality that existed when this project started. I can understand them choosing to build their own frames and body panels, as those parts are unique. I would have thought that subbing out the body panels would be reasonable as well. Trying to start with their own engine still seems like a huge error to me.

Unlike you, I don't see the evidence that Paul has hired any real car guys. Perhaps Gino, but that's about it. I don't see the skill-set, either in Paul or his cohorts, to make this happen. If the skills were there, they would have already been through multiple iterations of the prototype, tested multiple engines, etc. And they would still have money left over.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well there was a lot of postings I just skipped. I used to worry a bit about what was posted here from the point of view of the general public.
But, it doesn't really matter now until EM makes some real progress. Then at that point people will look at the online news.
So here we're just about sharing latest information. So I only read those who might actually have some, or have addressed it.

eliothegreat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Would seem like a great idea to pick a date (2 months from now-July 1) and announce that the incentives will be discontinued. Isn't that large spike from Aug 2014, with the end of the incentive scheduled for Sept 1? Also, by that time it might be realistic to dump the incentives, as reservations will really spike with the "FACT" it will be made.
When they announced the last bonus termination (then reduction), I began to question my doubts. At the time, it seemed to indicated that they thought that production was actually going to happen with 15-18 months. In cynical retrospect, it seems like they were just trying to get some quick cash flow.

At this point, the only things that will revive reservations will be: a) evidence of funding b) building and testing prototypes c) evidence of progress in plant, hiring, and infrastructure. And each of those items would need outside confirmation. For example, they have announced receiving a "substantial investment" in the fb posts, but I really don't see evidence that anyone believes it.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did you read up on Elio's latest hype on Dave Schembri being named to the board? Oh, wait- he's been on the board for years

What difference does any of that make, even if your assessments of their capabilities hold true?

They still don't have the money to make it all happen, even if they do have the know-how.

As for the GM plant, we'll see if they can hang on to it long enough to build anything.
Mr. Schembri also worked with ... Mercedes-Benz USA, where he served in a number of positions, including Vice President of Marketing; President and Vice President of Smart USA; Vice President of Sales, West and Vice President & General Manager for the New York and L.A. regions, respectively. During his 11-year tenure, he helped successfully launch Mercedes SL, E-Class, CLK, AWD C-Class and Maybach. He served as the President of Smart USA Distributor LLC. He also led the development and implementation of a certified pre-owned and remarketing program as well as the regional dealer advertising program. Prior to Mercedes-Benz USA, he held a number of positions at Volkswagen of America over the course of 16 years, including Director of Marketing, Director of Dealer financial services, Manager of National Sales Operations and Sales Manager of the western zone. He worked for American Motors Corporation in a variety of areas, including planning and forecasting, and corporate finance. He has been Director at Elio Motors, Inc. since February 2015. Mr. Schembri is a graduate of University of Detroit, where he holds Bachelor's of science Degree in Business Administration and Master's of Business Administration Degree in Marketing and Finance.

Troy, MI (PRWEB) February 05, 2015
Elio Motors, Inc., today named automotive and logistics industry veteran Dave Schembri to its Board of Directors, providing additional expertise in manufacturing, marketing and operations that will help the company launch its revolutionary $6,800 vehicle that will get up to 84 MPG.
I don't get it. Both Mr Schembri's Bio AND Elio's announcement say that he's been on board since February 2015.

I agree with you about the GM plant though. Elio needs to get people hired on out there or they will lose that facility. If they lose that, I'm afraid the setback would be too much to overcome anytime soon, if ever.

Do they need to get money? Yes. I don't think anyone is disputing that. It's pretty clear that they won't be able to make much progress without more money. That makes sense to me. I don't feel the need to keep kicking that dead horse though. From my research, it seems they will get there. But, that is my opinion. And that is really the crux of the whole debate. Some people think it will happen, others think it won't happen. It's easy to be a naysayer because almost every vehicle manufacture ever through all of time has failed. Every one. Ford failed (long ago). Chrysler failed, GM failed, Tucker failed, Delorean failed... The list goes on. It's easy to be negative. BUT, that is still just opinion based. Elio hasn't failed yet. Will they? I hope not but maybe. It's not that I need an Elio so bad. I want them to succeed because it will be a positive thing for America. Perhaps other manufacturers will jump into the niche or maybe regulations will change to better protect people. Maybe public opinion will swing a little more in favor of smaller vehicles. Whatever. It is the difference of opinions that makes debate possible. Elio has made some erroneous projections. Some were outside of their control (the factory and equipment deal was delayed which could have had further reaching effects than the public realizes). Some should have been avoided by Elio. They aren't perfect. I get that. But, because I believe they are a good thing for America, I want them to succeed.

Back on topic. I mentioned their capabilities and you asked what difference it would make. Think about the funding of the company. Someone would be foolish to fund a company without the capabilities or knowledge of how to be successful. By having the right people and know-how, Elio is much more attractive to investors or loan officers. That is why it matters. (Same goes for a high number of reservations) I'd be much more likely to loan money to a company that could show a demand before production even started. Seriously, what other company can show 40,000 reservations? Okay, Apple. I meant car companies (Yes, I know Elio isn't a "Car company" and I'm sure someone will call it a "Dream company" or "Unrealistic deposit stealer" or something like that with the sole purpose to make people who put down deposits feel bad so they can feel better about themselves).

Anyway, that's my 400 or so words for the day. I'm all out.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well done.
My comments about financing-
I think the biggest hurdle for private investors is the profit margin. I know "Volume" is key for long term success, the investor would need to plan on return of their investment- down the road (no pun intended), AND hope the project "clicks". 40k reservations ( forget not the $ distribution (how many want-ins that could get a refund) multiple buyers, and the "expense of the incentives" soon makes the reservations not too exciting.
The loan Guarantee assures PE control, and the ability to move forward...........maybe tomorrow, there's always tomorrow!

Top Bottom