• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Reservations: 65341 As Of 6/20/2017

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
$33781.00 is the average new car transaction price at the moment. Back when I was a kid that bought you a nice house. A family car sat on a frame that was not unlike that on a pickup, you could use it to tow your boat or camper and the entire family with the dog. Our vehicles say as much about us as our Clothes.

The longer I have had to wait the more I want to drive my Elio. What do you think I want it to say about me...
P1010007_zpskz0vxp5n.jpg

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We are all here because we share an interest in the Elio, but it's fun to discuss other vehicle options while waiting on delivery. The Elio simply isn't designed and marketed to be a families primary vehicle. So possibly owning both the Model 3 as a primary vehicle and the Elio as the range extender. Or the Model 3 as the 'and' vehicle with a crew cab pickup as the primary vehicle. Who the heck needs a $40-50K crew cab pickup? Why do they even manufacture those? LOL. Perhaps the Elio is all you need better yet. Buy and drive what you like and more importantly can afford. Regardless, I'm impressed by both vehicle concepts, the new tech of the Model 3 and the old off the shelf tech repackaged in the Elio. They both have target markets.......me.

.........."Who the heck needs a $40-50K crew cab pickup?"........
A rancher who uses the pickup as his primary vehicle and can't afford or justify another vehicle.
When I am filling the broadcast feeders on the ranch with about 8000 lb of corn and the temperature out is 90 or 100 degrees and there isn't any shade, I want air conditioning, cooled seats, nice music and a comfortable ride just as much as the working stiff at his computer in his office. And since I can't afford an additional $40 or $50 K vehicle, I want it to be something I can use socially.
And incidentally, my pickup truck is rated to pull about 11,000 lb. That's why I have it.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A rancher who uses the pickup as his primary vehicle and can't afford or justify another vehicle.
When I am filling the broadcast feeders on the ranch with about 8000 lb of corn and the temperature out is 90 or 100 degrees and there isn't any shade, I want air conditioning, cooled seats, nice music and a comfortable ride just as much as the working stiff at his computer in his office. And since I can't afford an additional $40 or $50 K vehicle, I want it to be something I can use socially.
And incidentally, my pickup truck is rated to pull about 11,000 lb. That's why I have it.
In the part of the country where I live (circle irrigated farm land) the status symbol is a one ton flatbed with four wheel drive and a small mechanics shop on the bed (air compressor, welder, oxy acetylene bottles and a LARGE tool box full of tools). I wouldn't even hazard a guess how much it all costs.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The reason I'm here is because vehicle costs are insanely high and the Elio represents a return to rational purchasing decisions in the automotive market.

There's no rational reason to buy a Tesla when you can buy an Elio plus a lightly used similar quality vehicle and all of the fuel you'd need for 15 years of driving both for the same price:

Tesla model 3 $35k + ~ $7k in electricity > $42,000
$20k used small "luxury" sedan + $7200 Elio + $14k in fuel (5k miles/year sedan, 12k Elio) = $41,200

And that's assuming only a single driver. If you have a two driver family, then the entire cost of a second car and the fuel for it would need to be added to the Tesla, but only the fuel costs need to be added with the Elio.
I'm indeed happy you are here waiting for a E that fills your needs, insanely high is relative to your rank on the financial ladder, and perceptions of material needs. Shortly, Barrett Jackson is having an auction you want to see insane prices- check it out . We are all here to secure our E, for a wide variety reasons from a toy to the only vehicle family transportation. There are many who will never have enough to even consider the purchase.
Whatever helps you decide, is no more valid or insane than any other purchase at any price

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
William, I know why you need a big fancy crew cab pickup..........and there was some sarcasm in my statement regarding who needs one.

Most of the crew cab pickups I see are owned by guys commuting to their air conditioned office jobs. Then to top it off the same guy driving that pickup truck thinks I'm wasting money if I choose to drive a car of my choice with a similar MSRP.

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
William, I know why you need a big fancy crew cab pickup..........and there was some sarcasm in my statement regarding who needs one.

Most of the crew cab pickups I see are owned by guys commuting to their air conditioned office jobs. Then to top it off the same guy driving that pickup truck calls me a status seeker and wasting money if I choose to drive a car of my choice with a similar MSRP.

Yes. Not to mention their little 5-1/2 ft beds that you can't put a 8x4 sheet of plywood in, even with the tail gate down.
If a BPV meets your needs, go for it.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am all in for $1,000 on two Elios.

I am buying this vehicle because I like it very much, and I don't need an explanation. But it may have something to do with reminding me of a motorcycle.

The only new vehicle I have purchases was my first motorcycle. The elio would be a great way of going out of this world.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the part of the country where I live (circle irrigated farm land) the status symbol is a one ton flatbed with four wheel drive and a small mechanics shop on the bed (air compressor, welder, oxy acetylene bottles and a LARGE tool box full of tools). I wouldn't even hazard a guess how much it all costs.
There are those who need the function of the big trucks, but that only makes up about a tenth of their sales.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why is that amazing.................$35K price only?
The Base Model 3 specifications are amazing for a $35K vehicle in any class......EV, Gas, or Hydrogen powered, providing it meets one's personal daily driving needs.
I guess I am surprised there are THAT many people that can afford to be put on a wait list for a $35,000 vehicle.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
$33781.00 is the average new car transaction price at the moment. Back when I was a kid that bought you a nice house. A family car sat on a frame that was not unlike that on a pickup, you could use it to tow your boat or camper and the entire family with the dog. Our vehicles say as much about us as our Clothes.

The longer I have had to wait the more I want to drive my Elio. What do you think I want it to say about me...
P1010007_zpskz0vxp5n.jpg
Is that a Honda NT700 covered in snow? If so I had a red one and 2 months after I retired I rode it to Prudhoe Bay Alaska for a 10,800 mile round trip!

Top Bottom