• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Reservations: 65341 As Of 6/20/2017

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In this funding area we've always gone along on faith quite a bit, mostly on faith in fact.

In our case we've looked at the people involved and relied on the idea that they only lend their resume's because it has a good chance of being funded. In many other business cases the resume IS the second reason they got investment.

In other words it's a black box that we can not crack open. And there are plenty of good reasons for EM to not crack it open for us.

Anyway, EM already has my money and yours. I knew the risk. I'm happy with the level of faith, time and unknowable's required.
I am with you. Over $7500.00 later and I am still optimistic and excited about Elio.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In this funding area we've always gone along on faith quite a bit, mostly on faith in fact.

In our case we've looked at the people involved and relied on the idea that they only lend their resume's because it has a good chance of being funded. In many other business cases the resume IS the second reason they got investment.

In other words it's a black box that we can not crack open. And there are plenty of good reasons for EM to not crack it open for us.

Anyway, EM already has my money and yours. I knew the risk. I'm happy with the level of faith, time and unknowable's required.

I do recognize I'm not your average EM customer. I almost feel like Em is doing my bidding. I started my car because I wanted to demo several things;
1) A car like this could be super efficient as a safe daily commuter.
2) In a volume product it could be super inexpensive
3) the car would benefit both the buyer and the public by it's existence.
4) There would be plenty of people who like and would buy it.
5) There is a viable business in doing this.

EM has proven all these items above, but alas, there is one more..
6) Adequate Investment can be obtained.

Still waiting on that one.
Ari, I'd love to see your car completed. Are you still actively working on it or plan to do so when the weather warms up? It looks like it has nice lines.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion, once the reservations hit 65000 something should happen that is positive and we should hear something about it. As for the price, it would be in EM's interest to keep it as low as possible to continue to entice more reservations.

L0gic

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
In my opinion, once the reservations hit 65000 something should happen that is positive and we should hear something about it. As for the price, it would be in EM's interest to keep it as low as possible to continue to entice more reservations.

It's always of interest to keep the price low... Not artificially low such that it erodes customer and investor trust. This is probably not what you're intending to convey so apologies for my misunderstanding.

Elio should pay employees and executives in a total compensation model that includes stock grants, vested over time, as part of the pay. Every employee should be a owner in this way.

This increases Elios free cash by reducing cash-pay. Employees then choose to sell or hold stock.

When I started in a technical support call center 8 years ago my company gave over 10 shares of stock vesting over a year if I stuck around. The present value of that stock is ~9k now. I have of course received much more stock over the years which allowed the purchase (good financing) of a house in the bay area.

When I started, sure I wanted the cash to just sit in my back account collecting laughable interest. So thankful that some of my pay was in stock... Still with the company over 8 years and many promotions later. I am now a Technical Program Manager with world wide impact.... Company ownership benefits are real and help the company, the employee who will work harder for the company and investors, including owner-employees.

Last edited:

L0gic

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Not a bad idea if the employees can live on less and wait for the payoff.

Could be a rather nice payoff... And get to keep their company afloat...

I am presuming that Elio is paying either market rate or better which should, presumably, be well over what is needed in the area for a family. Shifting even that top 5 OR 10% to stock across employees might help in a noticable way...

Stock sold/pay is then funded directly by investors...

Lots to presume above... I bet they can figure out how to make it work - probably worth the effort.

They could also simply offer their employees direct stock purchase at market rate or some set amount. I bet some number of employees are buying the stock during open periods... Instead of that money going to Joe Seller it could go direct to Elio for better impact.

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ari, I'd love to see your car completed. Are you still actively working on it or plan to do so when the weather warms up? It looks like it has nice lines.
Thanks! It primarily was an exercise in making a artwork that has wide appeal, and still be aerodynamic.

At the time there were only a limited number of autocycles with any kind of acceptable fully enclosed coachwork. Vanderhall has one that is nicely fabricated, but I find exception with it's artwork and aerodynamics.
In the DIY world there were plenty examples of the running hardware, but not as much in front-wheel drive configuration.
And in home projects getting a body completed is 75% of r the work, mostly in labor. So I figured I could attack that objective, having more time than money.

If you add in the Elio, there are now a number of interesting bodies stretched over a Delta layout.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks! It primarily was an exercise in making a artwork that has wide appeal, and still be aerodynamic.

At the time there were only a limited number of autocycles with any kind of acceptable fully enclosed coachwork. Vanderhall has one that is nicely fabricated, but I find exception with it's artwork and aerodynamics.
In the DIY world there were plenty examples of the running hardware, but not as much in front-wheel drive configuration.
And in home projects getting a body completed is 75% of r the work, mostly in labor. So I figured I could attack that objective, having more time than money.

If you add in the Elio, there are now a number of interesting bodies stretched over a Delta layout.
You are right about that. Apparently, it's far easier to stick weld a frame and put an engine with a rear chain driven wheel (horrible setup if you ask me) than to design and fabricate a body. I DO like Elio's approach, of course, of having the front wheel setup. But, I'm not a big fan of a lot of the similar cars. I can just about see yours scooting around town. It'd be neat if you "blacked out" where you think the glass should be - even if it were via photoshop. While you were at it, pop an engine and running gear in there and come get me.:D

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is this better? :-)
643c.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom