• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Reservations: 65341 As Of 6/20/2017

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Great looking body.........
But that back window looks like it could be as expensive as the old Barracuda.
(like the hemi under glass)
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...2gOhmAUFgk1yJOCS5Eedo_lyoDJx4Mlv19m7H-DjMHpaA
Or the Buick Riviera Boattail
upload_2017-2-3_13-48-43.png

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great looking body.........
But that back window looks like it could be as expensive as the old Barracuda.
(like the hemi under glass)
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...2gOhmAUFgk1yJOCS5Eedo_lyoDJx4Mlv19m7H-DjMHpaA
Yes, the back window is not doable in Glass as a single piece. As a DIY project I'm allowed to use Heat-formed plastic.
I do one thing to make it easier for both glass and plastic. Just like Paul I figured an uncluttered view straight back is not an imperative, but I still wanted a view, so I split the back window. It adds strength too so I could do a top that swings out like a Messerschmitt.

The car has a modernized-nostalgic-classic look by design and that split harkens back to classic designs. The overall vehicle shares lines and forms with the 50's, 40's, maybe even the 30's. But like futuristic concepts it has a fully round and simplified unity. JMHO. (Flash Gordon would be proud lol)
AA_Split.jpg

Opps, I think I absconded this thread! May bad , I have to rein in my tiger.

Last edited:

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, the back window is not doable in Glass as a single piece. As a DIY project I'm allowed to use Heat-formed plastic.
I do one thing to make it easier for both glass and plastic. Just like Paul I figured an uncluttered view straight back is not an imperative, but I still wanted a view, so I split the back window. It adds strength too so I could do a top that swings out like a Messerschmitt.

The car has a modernized-nostalgic-classic look by design and that split harkens back to classic designs. The overall vehicle shares lines and forms with the 50's, 40's, maybe even the 30's. But like futuristic concepts it has a fully round and simplified unity. JMHO. (Flash Gordon would be proud lol)
View attachment 21239

Opps, I think I absconded this thread! May bad , I have to rein in my tiger.
No offense, but at this angle it looks like a water craft of some kind. How did you make the body and what materials did you use? I like the concept and the fact you did it your self!

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No offense, but at this angle it looks like a water craft of some kind. How did you make the body and what materials did you use? I like the concept and the fact you did it your self!
To be clear;
It would have been more direct to just do a body and use glass over foam. But I decided my goal was for tooling so I could do small production. So of course this form in my garage is a full sized plug(male mold). The molds(standard reverse form) would be built using that.

So this plug is first a cardboard sandwich with 2" Styrofoam. Something like 80 stations, and a backbone of plywood. Sanded with ruffing hand tools. The layout was done in Sketchup graphics program. Then two-to-4 layers of glass/epoxy to firm up the surface. Most of my sanding hand tools are add-hoc custom designs.
Then a mix of micro-balloons(phenolic bubbles) and epoxy, all hand sanded down to 'best' lines, up to 1.5in deep. Then many-many latex paint filler/primer layers, hand sanded under LED inspection lighting. (steep angles in a dark room to show shadows)

Given that mistakes go into to every part pulled from it, the shape and surface had to be mirrored and perfect as possible. At least two years (in leisure hours) to complete, Hope that makes sense.

PS, I like the fact that kids say it looks like a sub, or a jet, or a UFO, or a fish lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom