• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Road & Track Livestreams A Test Drive Of The P5. And The Fender Falls Off... :(

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok, everyone start practicing the reasons why it happened:
1) It's a Prototype
2) Whoever put it on hadn't done it after they were doing some earlier tests
3) Terrorist took the bolts out to hide something and ran out of time
4) The test driver hit something before they started filming
5) Gremlins
6) It's a feature and we were testing it
7)

<I ran out of excuses>
7) Stuff happens!

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Overal I enjoyed the review...especially since it felt like I was inside the Elio.

So the fender fell off... unfortunate but it was after all a pro-type.

Seemed like ppl seeing the Elio for the first time were intrigued, especially the lady in the car to the left of the Elio who was asking questioms

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Something i really didn't like was a particularly nasty rasping vibration in the exhaust at two diffrerent rpms ... neither of them when the engine was wound up. (It never was wound up on the tape)but without a tach it is Impossible to tell. I hope they get that out@

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back to the right reason. It's a prototype. Not enough testing.
Something i really didn't like was a particularly nasty rasping vibration in the exhaust at two diffrerent rpms ... neither of them when the engine was wound up. (It never was wound up on the tape)but without a tach it is Impossible to tell. I hope they get that out@

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score

In the article, the reviewers explained that the exhaust wasn't entirely fitted perfectly (because its a prototype), and that while the engine is the final design, the electronic tuning hasn't been optimized for it yet (because its a prototype). And we've all seen the routing of the exhaust on the P5, so that's not hard to believe.

I expect the E1A has fixed at least the exhaust issue, if not the engine tuning.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How has ELIO been able to avoid any serious legal repercussions from soliciting funds, from depositors and investors, using dates for production that are years behind. Seems like at some point, they crossed the line from knowing they were unable to meet those target dates to not given a rat's behind that they never could make any of the dates given when soliciting funds. At some point money changed hands using misrepresentation. Given that they gave dates that were never achievable targets it would seem so. Or am I wrong that they could have produced the vehicle and are just having some fun, delaying the production start, to create drama?
Yes, you're wrong. If you're here to ask real questions, learn some things, express reasonable misgivings, you're welcome. Trolls get evicted quickly. So, newcomer, what's it going to be?

I'd suggest you start by reading, not commenting, on the various threads here. Then go read, carefully, the various SEC filings that Elio has made; the most recent is 7/25. It's pretty blunt about what the company is trying to do, the debt load they're carrying, and the risks they face. If that's deluding the public ... you must be a soured idealist.

So, have at it ... learn the facts, ask questions that actually need answers (and you will get answers here, for sure). But I'm pretty sure you don't want to put n the work needed to form an opinion.... but, hey, I'm an optimist, and maybe you'll prove us all wrong.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What constitutes a troll here? Anyone who isn't a fan? There's a lot of that going around since so many are convinced after years of misrepresentation that this ELIO hype is nothing but a scam. The plant in Shreveport is vacant. There is no knowledge of a deal with Elio at your local Pep Boys. The city council in Shreveport says this is no ownership of the plant by ELIO nor is there a lease for the building. Maybe the city council members are mistaken but if they are not, ELIO is looking really shaky and not in a good way. More like sketchy. So if trolls are classified as anyone who isn't swallowing the hype, you just got your first comment.

You are not a troll. You are just ignorant and failed to take the time to look into things before running off at the mouth.
Take a little time to educate yourself.
But all that aside, welcome to the forum.
If you have some serious questions most of us will be happy to help educate you.
If you want to know when lawyers stopped lying ask elsewhere.
If you want to know about lease arrangements you should be looking at Caddo Parish, not Shreveport.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the article, the reviewers explained that the exhaust wasn't entirely fitted perfectly (because its a prototype), and that while the engine is the final design, the electronic tuning hasn't been optimized for it yet (because its a prototype). And we've all seen the routing of the exhaust on the P5, so that's not hard to believe.

I expect the E1A has fixed at least the exhaust issue, if not the engine tuning.
It might have to do with the positioning of the fastening points, as well as the length and diameter of the pipe. Think of an organ pipe which resonates at set frequencies, along the entire length of the pipe Mostly these sounds are enjoyable, but in the Elio they're definitely not definitely not. Tuning the exhaust is at least in part literally tuning it!

Bamdalam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe it was as simple as the "Mechanic" not tightening the set screws on the fender.(fender fell off.)
I already voiced my opinion that the set screws aren't big enough at one of the showings..
I think there are other plans for the way the production fenders will be attached. What's the point of the black access section of them If not? I mean, why add that to them if only four set screws can remove them completely? I bet removing the access panels will take more effort than loosening four set screws. Any thoughts?;)

Reactions: Ekh

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What constitutes a troll here? Anyone who isn't a fan? There's a lot of that going around since so many are convinced after years of misrepresentation that this ELIO hype is nothing but a scam. The plant in Shreveport is vacant. There is no knowledge of a deal with Elio at your local Pep Boys. The city council in Shreveport says this is no ownership of the plant by ELIO nor is there a lease for the building. Maybe the city council members are mistaken but if they are not, ELIO is looking really shaky and not in a good way. More like sketchy. So if trolls are classified as anyone who isn't swallowing the hype, you just got your first comment.
You say:

"The plant in Shreveport is vacant." Google even names the street the plant is on after Elio.

"There is no knowledge of a deal with Elio at your local Pep Boys." I called Pep Boys head quarters in 2014 and they confirmed their deal with Elio. They will not educate the local Pep Boys store until they need to service Elios.

"The city council in Shreveport says this is no ownership of the plant by ELIO nor is there a lease for the building." Elio Motors is leasing the plant from another company.

You are not just a troll, you are an ignorant troll.

Top Bottom