• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Rv'ing Use

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
EM realizes that there is a significance market for Elio trikes to be used in RV'ing .... they are designing the Elio to be able to be flat towed behind a motor home .... in our travels the vast majority of full time RV'ers are couples .... being able to use a highly efficient vehicle to travel while their RV is parked is a long standing "must have" .... I believe that EM is positioned to expand the demand for an Elio within the RV'ing community beyond those who use motorhomes .... folks who tow 5'ers and travel trailers seldom use highly fuel efficient trucks but the math surrounding the expenses involved in having one of the couple drive a second fuel efficient vehicle just haven't worked out .... once an Elio that delivers 80 mpg is available, the numbers will undergo considerable change .... all this leads to these questions : will you use your Elio in connection with RV'ing/camping .... if so towing it behind a motorhome, will you flat tow it or tow it on a traler

Jim

with our Sportchassis averaging 10 mpg (tops), I can see us incorporating an Elio into our travels

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey jim --- We have had extensive discussions on dodging potholes. My question is how do you maneuver a flat towed Elio around potholes and road debris when it's 35 or 40 feet behind you? IMO the only safe way to tow an Elio is backward with the rear wheel lifted off the ground or removed. Even better on a trailer.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey jim --- We have had extensive discussions on dodging potholes. My question is how do you maneuver a flat towed Elio around potholes and road debris when it's 35 or 40 feet behind you? IMO the only safe way to tow an Elio is backward with the rear wheel lifted off the ground or removed. Even better on a trailer.

starting with the point that we all know the connotations of having/expressing an opinion ..:confused:.. I wouldn't worry about it .... when I'm towing a boat, utility trailer, 5th wheel or anything else I attempt to steer so as to avoid potholes and such .... however, I'm not willing to wreck in the process .... I'd do pretty much the same with an Elio in tow .... personally, I'd be prone to pull ours on a 2 wheel trailer .... doing so would seem to me to lessen the wear and tear on the Elio from bouncing down the road .... the Skyze system has a tire pressure monitor feature so, if flat towing, I'd probably rely on it to warn me of an issue

Jim

Sidecar Bob

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I plan on setting up my ELIO for flat towing, front first.
I have flat towed VW bugs, at normal road speeds, with no problems.
This will be for occasional towing but not limited to short distances.
I also plan on having a hitch so I can pull a small 2 wheel trailer.
Tow bar setup on the front and hitch on the back.

Bob

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I plan on setting up my ELIO for flat towing, front first.
I have flat towed VW bugs, at normal road speeds, with no problems.
This will be for occasional towing but not limited to short distances.
I also plan on having a hitch so I can pull a small 2 wheel trailer.
Tow bar setup on the front and hitch on the back.

Bob

really looking forward to seeing pictures of your setup and hearing your reports

Jim

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pull the ball from the Elio and slide in a tongue with a crank wheel. 66% of the weight will be on the front tires, leaving 400# on the hitch. Maybe you could use a reese.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlA3cF_RkefuZorrQcbo7038Q3K9dRG158giadVJwEP28njpLTpQ.jpg

upload_2014-12-8_17-45-51.jpeg

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My, Oh My. That is some fancy digs there. LOL You may save a lot of money on the Elio but that garage is going to cost a bundle. :) Z
I'll check to see if I can bundle that on my Elio Gas Card. It would be a cool way to transport the Elio to the drive and ride events.

Top Bottom