• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Rv'ing Use

Avards

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
EM has said that the Elio will be designed in such a manner as to be towable. By "towable" do they mean 3-wheel down towable, on a dolly, or on a trailer? I broached the question some months ago, and, although I got an answer, it left a bit to the imagination.

Not all of us tow with rigs based on mega-trucks or bus running gear. I have a 2010 Airstream Interstate which is a conversion of a 2008 M-B Sprinter van. The Elio is said to be designed to weigh in at about 1,200 pounds. U Haul indicates that one of their car dollies weighs about 750 pounds dry. I really don't want to add the weight of a dolly that ways about 3/4 of what the towed vehicle is to be. Thus, I desire to tow 3-wheels down.

From the information I've gained, not much, it sounds as though Elio is not incorporating towing attachment points into the design of the car. Quite honestly, I think that lack of inclusion of this design element will substantially reduce the desirability of the Elio as a potential RV towed vehicle. Perhaps they've decided that this potential market is too small to address, but it would be a market. A market means potential additional sales.

If Elio is including an emergency tow hook attachment point as a safety element, it might be reinforced just a bit for continuous use for towing, and a second one could be fitted to a similar position on the opposite side of the vehicle. As there is no front bumber on the vehicle, is the radiator surround sufficent to deal with a minor impact? Might it be stiff enough to serve as a towbar attachment element?

If anyone has obtained information from Elio on this subject, please share it with us. Or, if you happen to go to the travelling road show, please inquire and provide the information which you obtain.

Right now, my small "all in" funding expendature is increaingly looking like a donation to the cause. If so, so be it.

Thanks,

wr

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EM has said that the Elio will be designed in such a manner as to be towable. By "towable" do they mean 3-wheel down towable, on a dolly, or on a trailer? I broached the question some months ago, and, although I got an answer, it left a bit to the imagination.

Not all of us tow with rigs based on mega-trucks or bus running gear. I have a 2010 Airstream Interstate which is a conversion of a 2008 M-B Sprinter van. The Elio is said to be designed to weigh in at about 1,200 pounds. U Haul indicates that one of their car dollies weighs about 750 pounds dry. I really don't want to add the weight of a dolly that ways about 3/4 of what the towed vehicle is to be. Thus, I desire to tow 3-wheels down.

From the information I've gained, not much, it sounds as though Elio is not incorporating towing attachment points into the design of the car. Quite honestly, I think that lack of inclusion of this design element will substantially reduce the desirability of the Elio as a potential RV towed vehicle. Perhaps they've decided that this potential market is too small to address, but it would be a market. A market means potential additional sales.

If Elio is including an emergency tow hook attachment point as a safety element, it might be reinforced just a bit for continuous use for towing, and a second one could be fitted to a similar position on the opposite side of the vehicle. As there is no front bumber on the vehicle, is the radiator surround sufficent to deal with a minor impact? Might it be stiff enough to serve as a towbar attachment element?

If anyone has obtained information from Elio on this subject, please share it with us. Or, if you happen to go to the travelling road show, please inquire and provide the information which you obtain.

Right now, my small "all in" funding expendature is increaingly looking like a donation to the cause. If so, so be it.

Thanks,

wr
I thought the flat tow had been stated some time ago. Possibly during the town hall meeting with Paul Elio. I know I have seen the information somewhere but I simply don't remember where. What they are saying no to is towing with the Elio. That is an entirely different issue. :-) Z

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

wr

a week ago while the tour was in Charlotte, I asked Jerome about it .... he is a full timing in a towable camper and down the line plans to move to a motor home .... he noted that even though the Elio will come designed to be flat towed (3 wheels on the ground) that he will tow his on a trailer .... if I was towing one, I'd probably go the trailer route because I think it would be easier on the Elio

Jim

Avards

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Below is Jerome's response to an inquiry addressed to him about this question earlier this evening. It is quoted with his permission.

wr

"Yes, the Elio is flat towable (on all three wheels). However we have not completed the frame to have any of the hitch providers begin their design.

Stay tuned for these detail in a few months.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Jerome Vassallo
Vice President of Sales
Elio Motors"

Top Bottom